Port Adelaide Football Club Museum

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bumped into Margaret Gill ; a treasure at the Port Adelaide Football Club; Margaret tells me that a group has been formed at the Club to begin accumulating and cataloguing historical memorabilia , documents , data , ephemera , photos , medals , trophies, etc for a museum at the PAFC . Anyone that can assist or donate , loan or lead to any gems can contact Margaret at the club.

call the club and ask for Margaret.

Best Regards
PA1870

Bumped into Margaret Gill ; a treasure at the Port Adelaide Football Club; Margaret tells me that a group has been formed at the Club to begin accumulating and cataloguing historical memorabilia , documents , data , ephemera , photos , medals , trophies, etc for a museum at the PAFC . Anyone that can assist or donate , loan or lead to any gems can contact Margaret at the club.

Best Regards
PA1870
Have her email the Cheer Squad on portadelaidecs@gmail.com as I know some members who have gear and would be interested if this was done properly.
I've seen some impressive stuff out there collected and traded privately. But FYI the club is a bit 'on the nose' with some people who hold stuff due to what they see as fairly reckless dumping of material in the past.

Have her email the Cheer Squad on portadelaidecs@gmail.com as I know some members who have gear and would be interested if this was done properly.
I've seen some impressive stuff out there collected and traded privately. But FYI the club is a bit 'on the nose' with some people who hold stuff due to what they see as fairly reckless dumping of material in the past.

No Problemo, sent the details to her. From What Margaret told me, this is a more concentrated and organized effort: I guess it will be up to the New Museum group to state their bonafides now i.e who the archivist will be, the Film archivist, Memorabilia collator, etc etc etc. North Adelaide FC have an excellent group of dedicated and Professional personnel collating theirs: the documentation and cataloging is all state of the art, digital cataloguing and analogue and excellent secure storage.

what happened??

Where will this new museum/building be ?

Didn't go into D+M with Margie, as time was limited, but for what was outlined above, + the core group of People involved,

Graphic Designer
Historian - Prof./Dr. Mark Shepard
Several others that escape me now.

It is in its preliminary period now: i.e the collation of memorabilia, collectables, ephemera, must occur:

Please direct any questions to Margaret Gill at the PAFC at this stage. :)

what happened??

Over the years..*SIGH* remember the way we see things today is incredibly different to the way things were perceived in the past: and you also have to deal with the whole "Oh that's just old Rubbish, taking up space" mind set that pervades a huge part of our population.

Lots of things have been thrown out, ruined , ripped up, shredded, burnt, and STOLEN from the club over the years that's the way it is: Opportunists have ripped memorabilia over the decades, those that wanted something as a memento etc.

and worse still we were a club in the Port, no-one gave a rats clacker 'bout history and stuff'..

But times have changed. I have some very interesting stories regarding club memorabilia etc. that I could share from my adventures with the Late John Wood, but that's for another time.

Best Regards
PA1870
Great stuff. about time we got more serious on the collecting and cataloging side of things. There is a small committee that is listed on page 98 of the 2017 yearbook.

Koch's Chairman's Club that has about 40 individuals who pay about $10k membership ie its one of several coterie groups the club has, have been working on finding the finances to build a Museum by 2020 for a couple of years now.

The best people to volunteer re correct cataloging or find to help volunteer, would be retired government department archivists and retired librarians. Other people can help do lots of other stuff, but having people who worked professionally at cataloging items would make the whole process flow smoother.

Didn't go into D+M with Margie, as time was limited, but for what was outlined above, + the core group of People involved,

Graphic Designer
Historian - Prof./Dr. Mark Shepard
Several others that escape me now.

It is in its preliminary period now: i.e the collation of memorabilia, collectables, ephemera, must occur:

Please direct any questions to Margaret Gill at the PAFC at this stage. :)
The 5 names under Museum on page 98 of the Yearbook are Jim Crabb, William Cheffirs, Peter Thorton, Mark Shephard and Tania Radis.

I would love it to be underneath the old grandstand as the magpies transition to an afl reserves comp and the old magpies changerooms are no longer needed. If done right the historicalness of the building with a museum inside would be extrordinary.

Having said that i have heard somewhere between the club and the allan scott building.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I would love it to be underneath the old grandstand as the magpies transition to an afl reserves comp and the old magpies changerooms are no longer needed. If done right the historicalness of the building with a museum inside would be extrordinary.

Having said that i have heard somewhere between the club and the allan scott building.

Holograms of Fos, Jack, Stephen, Choco etc giving a speech would be something special.

Over the years..*SIGH* remember the way we see things today is incredibly different to the way things were perceived in the past: and you also have to deal with the whole "Oh that's just old Rubbish, taking up space" mind set that pervades a huge part of our population.

Lots of things have been thrown out, ruined , ripped up, shredded, burnt, and STOLEN from the club over the years that's the way it is: Opportunists have ripped memorabilia over the decades, those that wanted something as a memento etc.

and worse still we were a club in the Port, no-one gave a rats clacker 'bout history and stuff'..

But times have changed. I have some very interesting stories regarding club memorabilia etc. that I could share from my adventures with the Late John Wood, but that's for another time.

I remember stuffing around at the club late one Saturday night during their Alberton Oval nightclub phase. Some mates and I crawled into a cupboard space in the wall and found a couple of premiership flags stuffed in the dust there with the chairs and tablecloths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that sometime in the late 1970's a whole lot of stuff under the Quinn stand was just thrown out to make room.

There was some stuff under there in 2014. When I was working on the Peter Chant and Bob and George Quinn military medals project with Lockhart Road's 9RAR mates Dave banner found a war service honour board from mid WWII under the Quinn stand and he said there was more historical stuff under there.

what happened??
Stories of stuff being discarded and/or thrown in a corner somewhere as have already begun to appear here since I posted earlier.
There has been a lot of building going on at Alberton in the last 20 years and during that I know some people who had seen building skips topped up with 'unwanted' stuff. They once tried unsuccessfully to stop one lot being dumped only to later see yet another lot waiting to go. Was it all rubbish? Was there historically valuable stuff in it? Of course I don't know, but the main person who told me about it has a pretty good idea of what is valuable/historical, and is no dope.

Stories of stuff being discarded and/or thrown in a corner somewhere as have already begun to appear here since I posted earlier.
There has been a lot of building going on at Alberton in the last 20 years and during that I know some people who had seen building skips topped up with 'unwanted' stuff. They once tried unsuccessfully to stop one lot being dumped only to later see yet another lot waiting to go. Was it all rubbish? Was there historically valuable stuff in it? Of course I don't know, but the main person who told me about it has a pretty good idea of what is valuable/historical, and is no dope.

really is poor to hear that. hell if they didnt want it many people would have killed for stuff. crazy crazy!

If Kochie gets his way we will have AFL, AFL Reserves and SANFL sides in a few years.

Whilst looking at the Australian Sports Foundation page re making a Tax Deductible pledge of 100% of the membership fees as part of The Premiership Initiative Part 2, I discovered we have a few others registered, China initiative, Community programs via Power Community Limited and the long awaited Museum.

Looks like we have had 4 big contributors so far. I wonder if the club after the season end might offer up $100 tax deductible buy a brick type promo to get 20,000 people to pledge, and raise $2mil.

We had planned to start Part 1 in September this year.

1589953212580.png

ABOUT THE PROJECT
Port Adelaide is the oldest League Football Club in South Australia and the most successful senior football club in the nation. We were a foundation club of the original South Australian Football Association and are the only traditional, local club outside of Victoria to be admitted into the AFL.

When it comes to cultural institutions in South Australia, few compete with our club. When it comes to Premierships and success on the football field, no-one compares to the achievements of the Port Adelaide Football Club. That is why it’s important we are able to document, display & celebrate the rich and varied history of Port Adelaide football in a museum.

The Port Adelaide Football Club's 150th year in 2020 will be a historic celebration of the club's enviable history of success and the deep roots in our community heartland as a South Australian cultural institution.

There is no better time to ensure current and future generations are able to celebrate past and future successes via the establishment of a long-awaited Port Adelaide Football Club Museum, to be constructed at our heartland, Alberton Oval, within the ground level of the existing "Port Club" Social Club. The museum will integrate within member hospitality, merchandise and administration facilities and will respectfully and uniquely display the Club's unparalleled history and also feature interactive exhibits for all supporters to enjoy.

This exciting and ambitious project will cost a total of $4 million with the first two stages being completed for $2 million. Stages 1 & 2 will be funded by this campaign where we offer supporters the opportunity to assist the Club to create a wonderful legacy in the form of a Club Museum.
We are proud of the past and confident of the future and your contribution will ensure both are preserved for generations to come.

The ambitious project will see the museum launched on the back of a concerted fundraising campaign, with anticipated completion in our historic 150th year in 2020.

Port Adelaide Football Club has partnered with the Australian Sports Foundation so that donations of $2 or more are tax deductible. Please join us in celebrating the past and future successes of Port Adelaide Football Club by making a tax deductible donation today.

Last edited:

THE FIRST STAGE of the redevelopment of the Port Club at Alberton is underway with the creation of a club museum, which will be unveiled next year.

Featuring an expanded museum and display areas combined with a new retail experience, stage one of the redevelopment will create a new destination for supporters of Port Adelaide and South Australian football in general to take in the history of the club.

To start the process, a wall featuring iconic images which celebrate the club’s 36 SANFL and one AFL premiership as well as images of each of the players and teams which make up the club’s Hall of Fame has been erected on the ground level in the Port Club.

The images and information on the wall provide a glimpse of the club’s 150th Anniversary year publication, the Port Adelaide Football Club Archives Collection, which is available to purchase online and will be available in November.

The limited edition piece gives never before seen access to the moments in time that made Port Adelaide Australia's most decorated football club and includes rare photographs, profiles of star players from the club’s 150-year history, and unseen lift out memorabilia including replica player medals, premiership cards, Fos Williams’ coaching notes and so much more.

In the coming months renovations will commence at the Port Club, with phase one to focus on the creation of the club museum, which is many years in the making.

Currently on display alongside the Premiership and Hall of Fame Wall is an example of the vast collection of memorabilia and historical items that will feature in the club museum.

The 1930s exhibition features a number of items including an original lace-up guernsey worn by Jack Dermody who captained the club to the 1936 and 1937 Premierships and was twice best and fairest.

The exhibition gives just a taste of what will be on display when the museum is open, complete with interactive LED displays and replicas of each of the club’s premiership cups.

1601103565935.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back