Port Adelaide Game Day Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if it's just me but do they have a mike stationed at the opposition cheer squad at our home matches? The volume of noise on the telecast when the oppo score a goal is way disproportionate to the number of supporters.

listening to the coverage given by Ginever, Tredrea and Dittmar is ace, I think that is the closest to 'Port commentary' we get without it being in an official capacity. they are professional Port men who aren't unbiased, they know about the other team and call it fairly. it's like when you watch NBA, depending what telecast you have you'll be listening to commentators for one team or the other, I don't think there's ever "neutral" commentary. if you're watching a stream of the Jazz telecast you get the Utah-centric commentary where the focus is on your team but still paying respect to the opposition, just like Ginever and Tredrea and Dittmar. that is obviously what we want as fans, not the heavily biased nonsense on TV where they legitimately barely know a thing about a few of our players.

there's always Youtube where you can have watch-along commentaries which are getting huge in the world game, pretty easy to sync up with your telecast as you can pause and line it up at your leisure. That also has the bonus of being visual as well. could be another revolutionary thing we introduce to the competition.

relevant and spectacular

Are you saying that CBC in Canada or NBC in US and other broadcasters, produce it themselves with an alternative call, or are you saying they provide the local team a live feed of their pictures and allow someone else to rebroadcast the call to those pictures? If so what do they charge for that?
In the NHL the broadcasts all have a home and an away broadcast for each game with two (sometimes three for French) different sets of commentators. Viewing online you get to pick which one you want to watch with the only difference being the commentators. I believe when it comes to the TV broadcast they pick one based on location of teams playing.

They use the same game play images until there is a break during periods then they interview a player from the team they are commentating for and cut to the team specific commentators in a booth who then talk about the game.

The commentators are provided by each team and clearly have a team based focus on the whole event. The "national" broadcasts are the home teams game but not all games are broadcast nationally as there are 31 teams each playing 82 games per season.

Last edited:

I would watch more games if the commentary wasn't so awful.
At least we had Erin and not Ricuttio last week.

I've synched Kayo and 5AA (with Timmy and Tredders) for games and that works well.

A choice of commentary teams would be incredible, they should test it out.

I don't know if it's just me but do they have a mike stationed at the opposition cheer squad at our home matches? The volume of noise on the telecast when the oppo score a goal is way disproportionate to the number of supporters.
I said this in a different thread, they are clearly using fake crowd noise over the TV coverage. During the Essendon game live, i noticed a complete lull after we scored a goal in the third quarter. Yet watching the replay you would have thought the crowd was going banana's.

In the NHL the broadcasts all have a home and an away broadcast for each game with two (sometimes three for French) different sets of commentators. Viewing online you get to pick which one you want to watch with the only difference being the commentators. I believe when it comes to the TV broadcast they pick one based on location of teams playing.

They use the same game play images until there is a break during periods then they interview a player from the team they are commentating for and cut to the team specific commentators in a booth who then talk about the game.

The commentators are provided by each team and clearly have a team based focus on the whole event. The "national" broadcasts are the home teams game but not all games are broadcast nationally as there are 31 teams playing 82 games per season.
So if I'm in Toronto or Montreal and want to hear the alternative commentators to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, can I do that thru my TV? or do I have to jump onto my computer and get a feed thru the internet?

For those who don't know, both Canada and US have a lot faster and cheaper internet and usually unlimited download plans, compared to Oz.

Am I a) watching the computer screen and listening to commentators on the alternative feed, or b) am I watching the TV screen and have the sound coming out of the computer stream?? If situation b, what is the time delay.

If its situation a, what is the time delay difference between what is on my TV screen and what is on my computer screen? 1 minute?

Who are the commentators working for, the broadcaster, or one of the teams? ie who pays them?

I would watch more games if the commentary wasn't so awful.
At least we had Erin and not Ricuttio last week.

I've synched Kayo and 5AA (with Timmy and Tredders) for games and that works well.

A choice of commentary teams would be incredible, they should test it out.
Does Kayo have that option or do you have a digital radio? The AFL app option always has a 1 minute delay on the radio station.

So if I'm in Toronto or Montreal and want to hear the alternative commentators to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, can I do that thru my TV? or do I have to jump onto my computer and get a feed thru the internet?

For those who don't know, both Canada and US have a lot faster and cheaper internet and usually unlimited downloads, compared to Oz.

Am I a) watching the computer screen and listening to commentators on the alternative feed, or b) am I watching the TV screen and have the sound coming out of the computer stream?? If situation b, what is the time delay.

If its situation a, what is the time delay difference between what is on my TV screen and what is on my computer screen? 1 minute?

Who are the commentators working for, the broadcaster, or one of the teams? ie who pays them?
Im not sure of all of the specifics as I watch it online from Australia.

I believe that if you watch through TV you are stuck with what ever they show you but the structure of broadcasting is different in America with many small regional broadcasters showing a lot of the games over big national stations.

If you watch online you get to choose what broadcast you want.

Im not sure of all of the specifics as I watch it online from Australia.

I believe that if you watch through TV you are stuck with what ever they show you but the structure of broadcasting is different in America with many small regional broadcasters showing a lot of the games over big national stations.

If you watch online you get to choose what broadcast you want.
Ok so that is a historical as well as cost thing.

US and Canadian sports are used to one team cities in a national league, so post WWII they have had specific broadcasters for their home team and sending the broadcasters on the road to cover that one team. Oz sports, especially footy grew up with multiple teams in city leagues before a national team and didn't do this.

So these distinct local commentary teams would have be allowed for as the rights progressed over the decades.

I doubt Fox Footy and Ch 7 are going to allow it to happen unless they get some sort of compensation.

Also I'm not sure how many people would watch a stream say on a 1 minute delay at home if it was introduced all of a sudden. If 7 and Fox Footy charged for it, is it worth doing?

This Microsoft Forum, topic Streaming gives you an idea how much latency there is and time delay on different streaming formats.

Does Kayo have that option or do you have a digital radio? The AFL app option always has a 1 minute delay on the radio station.

I use the radio via the AFL matchday website and don't/can't change it.
I tweak the Kayo to synch with the radio using pause and +/- 15 until I get it right.

It's something that can't be done until the game itself has started, and if you need to restart/refresh Kayo it stuffs up, but when it works it works really well.

I've only tried it on the PC, but it should be possible on the TV also.

I bet you, like many others, have an image, in your mind, of the woman that kept yelling “doggie, doggie, doggie”

Channel 7 and the AFL will be getting nervous. Crowds are down. Ch 7 ratings are down. Might force their hand.

You know who's at the Centre of the Boys Club don't you? You know who helped create and maintain it? The Fat Man. E McGuire. Kill the beast at the head. The world would be a better place if he wasn't in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know the logistics of it but the NBA do a similar thing. Every team has their own commentators who commentate all of that team's games. The 'national TV' games also have neutral ESPN commentators.

The NBA also has a great dynamic of nerdy white guy paired with ultra cool ex-player black guy from the 90s. Literally that is every pairing ESPN etc have.

The commentary for our AFL games has been very poor for a long time. Not only are they bias against us at our home games they tend to say some pretty idiotic things that make listening to the broadcast a chore.

Other sports such as NHL have team based commentary teams that you can listen to during a game where they focus on talking more about your team but do also mention important aspects of the opposition.

I would love it if the club could put together a game day commentary team and stream it online so I can mute the TV and listen to a couple intelligent Port boys commentate our game.
I have posted before that there should be an option for ground sound without commentary. I can see what's going on, I don't need someone to tell me. It's not radio.

Our games are the only games I don't watch on mute as without the crowd noise they lack atmosphere.

I have posted before that there should be an option for ground sound without commentary. I can see what's going on, I don't need someone to tell me. It's not radio.

Our games are the only games I don't watch on mute as without the crowd noise they lack atmosphere.
Foxtel 2004, Press Red to view your way.
All TV 2021, Ohhhhhhhhh Rrrraaaahhhhhhhhssssssiiiiiiiooooooooooo Faaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntaaaaassssiiiiiissssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - It’s Fan-ta-see-yah not Fan-tazia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back