Club History Port Adelaide games at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Its about time we started beating top 8 sides again at Adelaide Oval, because at the moment we are producing some poor club history.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Its about time we started beating top 8 sides again at Adelaide Oval, because at the moment we are producing some poor club history.

Could not agree more. We only get 11 home games at AO plus the away showdown and if we want to make an impact come finals time we really need to win 10 at home plus five on the road. We have already dropped two home games so that increases the pressure to win on the road.

Wasn't so long ago that we were calling the Adelaide Oval the Portress. That is well wide of the mark these days.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
You were Too busy selling papers outside the ground :rolleyes:

Ah those were the days of the Observer and the Register when Murdoch did not control the press. 1895 was a significant year in Adelaide newspapers as The Register produced it's first photographs.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
An article in today's SM about '76 & '77 (Edit 75, 76) when we played our home games at Adelaide Oval & Footy Park

(Yes premium article but there are people on here who know how to get around it)

Anyone recognise the people in the pic?
IMG_0087.JPG

I asked Matthew Agius at Port Adelaide this question and his response was:

Our records show 591 games being played by the club at AO from 1877-1996

Note, that doesn’t include things like ‘electric light’ footy, carnival footy, pre-season games etc etc. Just home and away footy and finals.

Combined with the (current) 43 games played at the Oval, that means there have been 634 ‘first class’ games by PAFC at AO.

Lou Zyffer

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2005
SE Qld
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Other teams? There's other teams?
Wasn't it our home ground for a season or two in the sanfl?

I thought there was a council dispute at Alberton and we moved?

Surprised no one's replied. Yes, you are correct. My memory isn't a patch on some of the blokes here with their recollections of game incidents from decades ago but I do remember going to a protest march down the Port armed with a banner made by my grandfather who was a volunteer at the club at the time, protesting against the council. Must have been around '72, '73 but I stand to be corrected.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Surprised no one's replied. Yes, you are correct. My memory isn't a patch on some of the blokes here with their recollections of game incidents from decades ago but I do remember going to a protest march down the Port armed with a banner made by my grandfather who was a volunteer at the club at the time, protesting against the council. Must have been around '72, '73 but I stand to be corrected.

'75, '76. I posted an article on this recently. I will try and dig up the link (there was even a picture to along with it showing some of those marching with the banners)

Edit: it is in the original Lets Talk Ports thread, page 403 ( 2nd last page). This thread is now closed for further replies so I don't think I can post the link

Lou Zyffer

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2005
SE Qld
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Other teams? There's other teams?
'75, '76. I posted an article on this recently. I will try and dig up the link (there was even a picture to along with it showing some of those marching with the banners)

Cheers GR. I first thought '75 then couldn't connect the dots between what I was doing at the time and the protest so took a stab it was earlier. I remember a lot of people liking the placard I had (not a banner as I posted above) and might see a young Lou and/or a few rellies in those pics.

Edit: it is in the original Lets Talk Ports thread, page 403 ( 2nd last page). This thread is now closed for further replies so I don't think I can post the link

Cheers GR. I first thought '75 then couldn't connect the dots between what I was doing at the time and the protest so took a stab it was earlier. I remember a lot of people liking the placard I had (not a banner as I posted above) and might see a young Lou and/or a few rellies in those pics.

Added to this thread now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back