Port Adelaide has signed a multi-year partnership with Balfours Bakery

Smithy7

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Balfours Bakery was started by James Calder and his wife Margaret née Balfour
All Balfour's originated in Fife Scotland and are all related.
My Balfour's go back to Ninian Balfour born 1595 Ferry Port on Graig Fife Died 6 Nov 1655, same place.
Mariner: Balfour, Ninian
Surname Balfour
Forename Ninian
Title Skipper
Home port Ferry Port on Craig
Confirmation 27-05-1656 St Andrews St Andrews Commiss Court
Voyages
Vessel Voyage Date
Arrived from Flanders 31-10-1616 Arrived from Aberdeen 00-11-1621
Ninian Balfour is my 9th great grandfather.

His son Ninian, also a Skipper
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 20-06-1662
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 31-05-1664
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 23-09-1664

I have a lot more info, re his sailings & cargo carried etc., but will not post it here.

Last edited:

simba_

ask me how to use this space for advertising
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, mew2king, Utah Jazz
Good to see. I was sales manager there for a few years last decade and couldn't get this over the line under old ownership. The structure of the deal would be interesting to see, particularly what portion of it is paid in product for use at Alberton vs cold hard cash.
do you know how did it come to be that a Crows family owning the business somehow helped the situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killer Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
do you know how did it come to be that a Crows family owning the business somehow helped the situation?
Not sure. San Remo have a far higher turnover and marketing spend than the old stand alone Balfours did. However Balfours turnover itself would be less than back then given the loss of market share and declining category. So spend generated from other activities being used to prop up the brand would be my guess. The devil would be in the detail of the deal though as it could be in some respects self funding.

Edit: Let me expand on that last point. I once struck a deal that was framed up as a $250k sponsorship but was achieved through a heavy % discount off of the List Price. There were a few other favourable supply conditions, covering of outlet signage costs and equipment given in return for exclusivity but there was effectively very minimal actual money being handed over.

Last edited:

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
Aug 30, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports
Anna Meares and Kyle Chalmers are San Remo, Balfours' parent company, ambassadors. A bit of synergy maybe.

theDuckFarmer

Stun Guitar
Jul 7, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots, Mitchelton-Scott
Good to see. I was sales manager there for a few years last decade and couldn't get this over the line under old ownership. The structure of the deal would be interesting to see, particularly what portion of it is paid in product for use at Alberton vs cold hard cash.
We are saving space in the salary cap by paying Motlop in product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Before anyone asks- yes it is a Balfours pie featured in my avatar. ;)

A pie with sauce.

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re the quality of pies, my favourite of the bigger bakeries in Adelaide was Tommy Tucker, who used to have a fairly large bakery on South road Edwardstown, not far from where the Castle shopping centre is now, but I reckon they closed about 45 years ago, so I had my last pie from there before my taste buds were destroyed by beer, bourbon, and scotch, etc, etc, etc. :'(

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
Aug 30, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports
.... Tommy Tucker, who used to have a fairly large bakery on South road Edwardstown, not far from where the Castle shopping centre is now, but I reckon they closed about 45 years ago ....
I had a Balfours' pie this year that may well have been baked at that bakery under licence.

Top Bottom