Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Balfours Bakery was started by James Calder and his wife Margaret née Balfour
All Balfour's originated in Fife Scotland and are all related.
My Balfour's go back to Ninian Balfour born 1595 Ferry Port on Graig Fife Died 6 Nov 1655, same place.
Mariner: Balfour, Ninian
Surname Balfour
Forename Ninian
Title Skipper
Home port Ferry Port on Craig
Confirmation 27-05-1656 St Andrews St Andrews Commiss Court
Voyages
Vessel Voyage Date
Arrived from Flanders 31-10-1616 Arrived from Aberdeen 00-11-1621
Ninian Balfour is my 9th great grandfather.

His son Ninian, also a Skipper
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 20-06-1662
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 31-05-1664
Gift of God Arrived from Norway 23-09-1664

I have a lot more info, re his sailings & cargo carried etc., but will not post it here.

Last edited:
Good to see. I was sales manager there for a few years last decade and couldn't get this over the line under old ownership. The structure of the deal would be interesting to see, particularly what portion of it is paid in product for use at Alberton vs cold hard cash.

do you know how did it come to be that a Crows family owning the business somehow helped the situation?

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
do you know how did it come to be that a Crows family owning the business somehow helped the situation?
Not sure. San Remo have a far higher turnover and marketing spend than the old stand alone Balfours did. However Balfours turnover itself would be less than back then given the loss of market share and declining category. So spend generated from other activities being used to prop up the brand would be my guess. The devil would be in the detail of the deal though as it could be in some respects self funding.

Edit: Let me expand on that last point. I once struck a deal that was framed up as a $250k sponsorship but was achieved through a heavy % discount off of the List Price. There were a few other favourable supply conditions, covering of outlet signage costs and equipment given in return for exclusivity but there was effectively very minimal actual money being handed over.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Good to see. I was sales manager there for a few years last decade and couldn't get this over the line under old ownership. The structure of the deal would be interesting to see, particularly what portion of it is paid in product for use at Alberton vs cold hard cash.
We are saving space in the salary cap by paying Motlop in product.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 9.30.52 am.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Dont know why, but the Footy Pie tastes far better than their routine square jobbies.
Their plastic bagged off pasties need work.
Doesn't the footy pie contain actual lumps of "meat" whereas the standard square pie is just mince?

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re the quality of pies, my favourite of the bigger bakeries in Adelaide was Tommy Tucker, who used to have a fairly large bakery on South road Edwardstown, not far from where the Castle shopping centre is now, but I reckon they closed about 45 years ago, so I had my last pie from there before my taste buds were destroyed by beer, bourbon, and scotch, etc, etc, etc. :'(

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
.... Tommy Tucker, who used to have a fairly large bakery on South road Edwardstown, not far from where the Castle shopping centre is now, but I reckon they closed about 45 years ago ....
I had a Balfours' pie this year that may well have been baked at that bakery under licence.

Are they going to appear on our AFL jumper?

Yeah I'd hope our players aren't eating too many pies on game day. Maybe heritage round we can throw a sauce bottle in too just for laughs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back