Opinion Port Adelaide in 2020 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
This thread is for people to express their opinion on what they would like the club the be doing by 2020, the clubs 150th anniversary year, and the direction you'd like us to be heading beyond that.

From my perspective I'll always come back to the clubs branding which is fractured and incoherent. Currently we have two monikers and from the outside, as much as we may correct people, perceived as two different bodies. In 2020 I would like to see the club complete a rebrand with one moniker representing the whole club in both the SANFL (or AFL reserves) and AFL. I think it would be fitting to do this for next year, although that is an impossible task due to apparel contracts now. My reason for the quicker push is due to Steven Summerton retiring I think would be opportune for him to go down as the last Magpie, a fitting end for me. My preference is for the club to drop both Power and Magpies monikers, stripping back the clubs brand and identity to the absolute essentials. The "Ports" moniker is our oldest and most used in our history. It was used on the Adelaide Oval scoreboard for decades and is in the background of Harold Oliver's famous 1914 mark. In hindsight we will grow fond of the Power moniker being symbolic of the 1990's, the time we joined the national league, but it is ageing, divisive, gimmicky, subject to derision from our fan base and as our brand goes, confusing. I want the club to be completely confident and comfortable in talking about our history at every available opportunity, tying in records of players across the SANFL and AFL era instead of talking exclusively about one or the other. From a local point of view our history is our greatest asset, but on the national stage our fractured representation is arguably an Achilles heel.

In regards to China, I fully endorse what the club is doing and I hope they go full steam ahead. It won't be easy but it will be worth it in the long run, if not already. There are already many people of Chinese decent coming to our games in Adelaide alone with University students having a disposition to us over the Crows if they see us as their club. Board members who want to play it safe should question what they bring as individuals to the club. We are not a club in a position to play it safe, or at least not push the envelope at every opportunity, as it will lead to middling results and ultimately we see ourselves return to 2011 type troubles.

In regards to participating in the SANFL...only if we can be competitive and if it is worthwhile. I think for the club it would be better for us to push for a national reserves competition now.

I hope we push for women football sooner rather than later. This also ties into the SANFL as well because if they keep making our life hard on these sorts of things I just don't see the point persisting with an organisation that hates our guts.

I want the club to be vocal on issues affecting the competition. I really like David Koch on this. He is a strong advocate for the Grand Final moving around the country not just on principles of fairness, but for the sake of the code. Calling out biases in the fixture in favour of Victorian clubs. Promoting the history of the code outside of the VFL, not just for our own benefit, but as the lone flag bearer coming from outside. Backing clubs in New South Wales and Queensland even if they are provided assistance to be competitive instead of tearing them down like Eddie McGuire. These states must be successfully integrated into the AFL. A healthy code of Australian rules football makes for a healthy Port Adelaide.

So basically. Keep with China, Keep backing the codes growth and keep it simple, PORTS!

On a side note, in regards to "Ports" the logo below is from 1912. That year we went undefeated during the season but lost the Grand Final finishing runner up for the 20th time. Then club secretary James Hodge used this disappointment to draw a line in the sand and set the clubs famous culture decreeing that Port Adelaide does not exist to come second and that our only purpose is to win premierships. Fos, in his creed, doesn't take credit for the clubs culture but builds on it indirectly citing what James Hodge put in place. The years following 1912 the club went on to win back to back Australian championships. If we are going to adopt any throwback from our history this is the one.
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 3.47.42 PM.png

Last edited:

Board members who want to play it safe should question what they bring as individuals to the club. We are not a club in a position to play it safe ...
View attachment 563881
If, by 2020, less than three changes are made to our current board of directors just because the incumbents crave the extra prestige of their photos going into the 150th Anniversary Yearbook and commemorative literature ... it will be too late and we are in deep trouble.

So....................... any word on the brutal, in depth, forensic, warts and all external review of the club from top to bottom yet?

Or are we just doing a pants down, pat on the back, protect ourselves internal kumbaya event that exonerates board members, cosches, players, etc and little meaningful change? Surely that would not happen :oops:

So....................... any word on the brutal, in depth, forensic, warts and all external review of the club from top to bottom yet?
I, like many, am sceptical of how "ruthless" the club's review will be, but I'm baffled by the entitled way in which some of our members demand access to information that is, effectively, commerical in confidence. Why do we need a 1/4/12/26/104-week heads up on the club's plans?

My preference is for the club to drop both Power and Magpies monikers, stripping back the clubs brand and identity to the absolute essentials.
Apart from the inevitable push-back the club would receive from some of the rusted-ons re: Magpies, dropping the "Power" brand comes with the risk of an even worse AFL team song than we currently possess.

I think for the club it would be better for us to push for a national reserves competition now.
Maybe as a bargaining tool with the SANFL, but I worry about the viability of a national reserves competition.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree that the Magpies are now dead. Time to stop pretending, but if we give that and the PB guernsey up, I fear we loosen our grip on claims to wear the prison bars in the AFL, which is a bad outcome. What a unique club we are.

Win a premiership and be financially independent, plus start building infrastructure around Alberton precinct.

I expect a mass exodus at the end of 2020 especially if we win a flag in 2020 season. Bit like what happened in 2004. I reckon 8 tough years will have exhausted a few footy department and non footy department staff.

Our second flag after 2010 (the first one obviously being 2019)

I could have kept it easy and just said third flag this century

Nup, still don't get it.

Keep all the monickers (add some more), adopt "one ring to rule them all:"
So, I have no talent whatsoever to draw anything. Still, I came up with a concept of "One Ring to Rule Them All" for the Port Adelaide FC's logo controversy.

As I see it, PAFC is one club, but with two distinct football teams: Power (AFL), and Magpies (SANFL). I imagine that the common identity for EVERYTHING related to PAFC should be based on the colours black and white, and a halo around the particular logos.

I did the halo and applied it to the Magpies, but I couldn't draw exactly what I have in mind for PAFC and for the Power. Although there is a logo for the Power below, the Power badge wouldn't be like that.

Here, the halo - "One Ring to Rule Them All:"
Port%2BAdelaide%2BFC%2B%2528One%2BRIng%2529.jpg

Here, the new logo for the Magpies:
Port%2BAdelaide%2BFC%2B%2528Magpies%2529.jpg

Here, the awful sketch for the Power:
Port%2BAdelaide%2BFC%2B%2528Power%2529.jpg
Power-Logo-Options2.png

Yeah, looks all right
:)

Last edited:
Keep all the monickers, adopt "one ring to rule them all:"

:)
I like this.
If we could incorporate ‘Australia’ inside the Power ring, and ‘South Australia’ inside the Magpies ring, I would really, really like it.

"ruthless"

The only time Koch has been 'ruthless' he's either,

• fired at the wrong targets (the effort of the players after the 2017 EF),

• flip-flopped in seconds (from 'failure's not acceptable' to '10 year coach' in 2 rounds),

• been made to look like a liar or rube ('we have a contract that says the SUNS can't wear red'),

• ended up apologising anyway.

I honestly don't know what the metrics are for this club beyond talk ("ruthless", "win a premiership") and dreams ("something something China").

Remove this Banner Ad

Back