Opinion Port Adelaide in 2020 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

A no-branding just PAFC/Ports is the only thing I'd back we screwed the pooch not going with the Pirates way back when Bucky & Co went 90's hammer time with Port Power and would just be a laughing stock adopting it now.

This thread is for people to express their opinion on what they would like the club the be doing by 2020, the clubs 150th anniversary year, and the direction you'd like us to be heading beyond that.

From my perspective I'll always come back to the clubs branding which is fractured and incoherent. Currently we have two monikers and from the outside, as much as we may correct people, perceived as two different bodies. In 2020 I would like to see the club complete a rebrand with one moniker representing the whole club in both the SANFL (or AFL reserves) and AFL. I think it would be fitting to do this for next year, although that is an impossible task due to apparel contracts now. My reason for the quicker push is due to Steven Summerton retiring I think would be opportune for him to go down as the last Magpie, a fitting end for me. My preference is for the club to drop both Power and Magpies monikers, stripping back the clubs brand and identity to the absolute essentials. The "Ports" moniker is our oldest and most used in our history. It was used on the Adelaide Oval scoreboard for decades and is in the background of Harold Oliver's famous 1914 mark. In hindsight we will grow fond of the Power moniker being symbolic of the 1990's, the time we joined the national league, but it is ageing, divisive, gimmicky, subject to derision from our fan base and as our brand goes, confusing. I want the club to be completely confident and comfortable in talking about our history at every available opportunity, tying in records of players across the SANFL and AFL era instead of talking exclusively about one or the other. From a local point of view our history is our greatest asset, but on the national stage our fractured representation is arguably an Achilles heel.

In regards to China, I fully endorse what the club is doing and I hope they go full steam ahead. It won't be easy but it will be worth it in the long run, if not already. There are already many people of Chinese decent coming to our games in Adelaide alone with University students having a disposition to us over the Crows if they see us as their club. Board members who want to play it safe should question what they bring as individuals to the club. We are not a club in a position to play it safe, or at least not push the envelope at every opportunity, as it will lead to middling results and ultimately we see ourselves return to 2011 type troubles.

In regards to participating in the SANFL...only if we can be competitive and if it is worthwhile. I think for the club it would be better for us to push for a national reserves competition now.

I hope we push for women football sooner rather than later. This also ties into the SANFL as well because if they keep making our life hard on these sorts of things I just don't see the point persisting with an organisation that hates our guts.

I want the club to be vocal on issues affecting the competition. I really like David Koch on this. He is a strong advocate for the Grand Final moving around the country not just on principles of fairness, but for the sake of the code. Calling out biases in the fixture in favour of Victorian clubs. Promoting the history of the code outside of the VFL, not just for our own benefit, but as the lone flag bearer coming from outside. Backing clubs in New South Wales and Queensland even if they are provided assistance to be competitive instead of tearing them down like Eddie McGuire. These states must be successfully integrated into the AFL. A healthy code of Australian rules football makes for a healthy Port Adelaide.

So basically. Keep with China, Keep backing the codes growth and keep it simple, PORTS!

On a side note, in regards to "Ports" the logo below is from 1912. That year we went undefeated during the season but lost the Grand Final finishing runner up for the 20th time. Then club secretary James Hodge used this disappointment to draw a line in the sand and set the clubs famous culture decreeing that Port Adelaide does not exist to come second and that our only purpose is to win premierships. Fos, in his creed, doesn't take credit for the clubs culture but builds on it indirectly citing what James Hodge put in place. The years following 1912 the club went on to win back to back Australian championships. If we are going to adopt any throwback from our history this is the one.
View attachment 563881

We've had 14 years of jumper changes and we've had supporters making up alternative logos and jumpers, and I think it just reinforced in our supporter base to never be content with what we have now. I hope this isn't the case here but I've learned that in 2020 the club may use one 150th logo for everything for that celebration.

I'm a black and white Magpies lover and they are not dead because Port Adelaide is black and white Magpies warf jumper and all in one competition. Of course we are something else in another competition. I'm not rusty about it but I love it because ... well black and white Magpies PB ... let's be honest and own up that we were or are best looking team in the sanfl, awesome strong identify cosmetically.

The Power logo was designed to capture the famous jumper and I love that bit of it. The logo is strong and so is the nickname, and it is unique. The nickname is modern and the club was wanting that. It was not wanting to adopt a used nickname nor a used colour scheme, nor should we, we're Port Adelaide. We made certain that we would never adopt a colour that was used by any sanfl club.

However when I look at the Power logo I don't sense a club that is around 150 years old but I wouldn't want a replacement logo and nickname that is bland as PA, boringly uncreative as Ports, and can't be easily chanted at games. If a creative professional mind can somehow invigorate the Power logo that captures modern and tradition a bit better then ok but to change it completely to a new nickname or new logo because it's 90s ... nah ... we were the Powerhouse of the sanfl. I remember Boulton relating it to the power station near the Torrens market but he should've related to our historical dominance, it would've sold better.

It would be ideal to have one logo and nickname and the current AFL identity was for PAFC with our black and white history in mind. If anything we should use it for the entire club, and as I said I am a Port Adelaide Magpies lover. Although we should always wear the PB in the sanfl (and bloody AFL). Please note that when I'm pissed with the Magpies being made weak I hate us wearing the PB but we'll see what the revised rules does.

So I don’t know ... maybe invigorate the current logo to better emphasise oir history but don't go bland and boring.

Also I was told by the club marketers that the Power identity has been a winner amongst kids in comparison to the crows.

Win a premiership and be financially independent, plus start building infrastructure around Alberton precinct.

I expect a mass exodus at the end of 2020 especially if we win a flag in 2020 season. Bit like what happened in 2004. I reckon 8 tough years will have exhausted a few footy department and non footy department staff.

I am now expecting a mass exodus at the end of 2020 sans premiership after the way we are trading away our future so cheaply.

Players - Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Ryder, Ebert, Broadbent, SPP
Coaches - Hinkley Voss, Bassett, Chad
Footy Admin - Cripps, Davies, Parker
Staff - KT and a few executives
Board - Koch and half the board.

C’mon REH, I know you’re upset, but this is going too far. Westie will be there, on the wing, fourth B&F in a row. You know it’s a cert.

Edit: Okay, third B&F in a row.

Even in the very dark days circa 2008-12 I can't recall being as p*ssed off with footy as I am now, and using the unnecessary contract extension for Kern as just one example I have little to no faith in the campaigners who are calling the shots off the field, so nothing would surprise me with anything they do.

It wouldn't even surprise me that greatly if the name Southern Power gets a mention again one day. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back