Port Adelaide lose by 3 points after a wrong Goal Review against the Crows in the dying stages

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup...when i wad 9 someone stole my bike...Ive never seen it since....I moved on.

Time to move on me thinks

Yeah nah it’s not irrelevant just because it’s convenient and gave you the win
Nah yeah, it is irrelevant.

Completely irrelevant !

And I would say there are more mistakes made during the game by the field umpires than this one you’re all wetting the bed over

But is is pretty funny reading the whinging !

Something has snapped in Hinkley's brain. In his first few years at Port he had a very calm, steely resolve. It was dignified. These days he's prone to weird outbursts and whinges a lot more than he used to. He has the mark of a guy who is under a lot of pressure and has an axe dangling over his head but as we know, he recently signed a long term deal. I don't get all the angst.

I’m wondering if there’s “finals or bust” clause in his contract.
Explains the desperation of the recruiting of Watts Thomas and Rockliff and his increasingly unhinged demeanor as the season wears on.

I am so sick of this rule can we please just change it.
If it goes between the goal posts even if it hits one it's a Goal.
If it hits and comes back into play it is a point.

We just have to accept the odd mistake

Mistakes happen everyday in all walks of life and sport ...no system or rule will ever be perfect and the constant chase for perfection with reviews has no eliminated them ......we often forget the good ones ....

There has been some really good goal reviews where we can see the fingers bend back and it’s touched.....no one starts a thread on those ....we go nuts at a wrong decision but we tash little there is a good umpires call

It’s like we just expect it

Players make way more mistakes than umpires do and game that goes for two hours or close to it ....with 700 plus possessions is littlered with human errors from players....umpires make way more mistakes than players do.

These goal touches have probabaly been happening for hundred years ...it’s just that we have cameras to see it and now social media to complain about them....in years last we accepted mistakes

Society and people running sport seek perfection in everything.....there is no way you’ll get get it ...ever

I wouldn't say that. Port still outdoes Adelaide for GF choking as well, on account of the 119 points. That record isn't getting smashed any time soon. Also didn't you just mention something about Adelaide fans celebrating 2007?

#port logic :drunk:

don't forget port's choke in the 2002 qualifying final - still one of my favourite games. the look on choco's face in the box late in the game when he realises they've blown it. they thought they just had to turn up to the ground, go through the motions and get the win. against a side coached by mick malthouse. i'd call that a monumental mistake

Nah yeah, it is irrelevant.

Completely irrelevant !

And I would say there are more mistakes made during the game by the field umpires than this one you’re all wetting the bed over

But is is pretty funny reading the whinging !

Not to mention the copious mistakes that players made. Unforced errors like Wines' pathetic "attempt" at goal kicking. Still, if coaches and supporters prefer to blame umpires rather than their own players for losing, that seems to be the mentality of the contemporary footy fan.

Not to mention the copious mistakes that players made. Unforced errors like Wines' pathetic "attempt" at goal kicking. Still, if coaches and supporters prefer to blame umpires rather than their own players for losing, that seems to be the mentality of the contemporary footy fan.

It’s society

We blame everyone else but ourselves for a mistake .....

Literally no one can go hey geez I made mistakes .....

It’s society

We blame everyone else but ourselves for a mistake .....

Literally no one can go hey geez I made mistakes .....

Coaches really amaze me. They are quick to jump all over mistakes from officials, but happy to allow their players to kick for goal like idiots. These dribble kicks and around the corner set shots are like a disease. I even saw Jack Gunston from my club attempt an around the corner kick 2 weeks ago from a 45 degree angle, and missed. One of the better kicks for goal in the AFL wasting his time with that s**t.

or Play On
Not for a Goal post but the point post sure.

Many rules can be simplified.

Last touch out of bound is a free kick. Means you have to play the corridor more and no running for the line when you get tackled.

No more knocked out in the tackle play on.

I wouldn't say that. Port still outdoes Adelaide for GF choking as well, on account of the 119 points. That record isn't getting smashed any time soon. Also didn't you just mention something about Adelaide fans celebrating 2007?

#port logic :drunk:
Let’s not forget first club to lose to GWS and GC.
Tarp era.
Jack Watts. John Butcher. Lindsay Thomas.
The missing piece predictions (Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff etc).
1-0 Hinkley celebration backfiring
Paying for Lobbe to play for Carlton
Crowds dwindling again.

We just have to accept the odd mistake

Mistakes happen everyday in all walks of life and sport ...no system or rule will ever be perfect and the constant chase for perfection with reviews has no eliminated them ......we often forget the good ones ....

There has been some really good goal reviews where we can see the fingers bend back and it’s touched.....no one starts a thread on those ....we go nuts at a wrong decision but we tash little there is a good umpires call

It’s like we just expect it

Players make way more mistakes than umpires do and game that goes for two hours or close to it ....with 700 plus possessions is littlered with human errors from players....umpires make way more mistakes than players do.

These goal touches have probabaly been happening for hundred years ...it’s just that we have cameras to see it and now social media to complain about them....in years last we accepted mistakes

Society and people running sport seek perfection in everything.....there is no way you’ll get get it ...ever

It wasnt even a mistake. Theres no way you can overrule the umpires decision based on the scant video evidence. The only "mistake" was the video umpire calling a goal instead of "umpires call". But either way its six points to the Crows, so the mistake is the equivalent of paying a bloke a free kick when he should have been paid a mark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasnt even a mistake. Theres no way you can overrule the umpires decision based on the scant video evidence. The only "mistake" was the video umpire calling a goal instead of "umpires call". But either way its six points to the Crows.
Agree wrt not being able to reverse that decision with the footage available.
The only mistake is to only have 1 camera to review a shot on goal. That for mine is sub standard and below what is required.

Don't know what this is in reply to but agree wrt changing rules for outliers.

It was in reference to comments about changing the rules re the ball touching the goal posts. Combine that with calls to introduce a red card after the Gaff incident.

I'm finding the constant knee jerk calls for rule changes to be monotonous, boring and frankly something for the media to talk about because they are lazy and have no interest in actually discussing the game.

Last edited:
Agree wrt not being able to reverse that decision with the footage available.
The only mistake is to only have 1 camera to review a shot on goal. That for mine is sub standard and below what is required.

There was way more “sub standard “ efforts from your coaching and playing group that you all seem to choose to ignore rather than one decision made by the goal umpire in the best position

Don't know what this is in reply to but agree wrt changing rules for outliers.
So you like waiting 30 seconds for a review that could be wrong rather than a tweak that makes the score review for hitting the post obsolete.

You mean apart from the fact it is almost universally seen by all who witnessed it (including the player) to have hit the post? (Excluding crows fans and Subaru who is simply an anti port fan)

That the vision used to assess looked like a picture of a footy near a point post through a lens covered in 1000 layers of cling wrap

Even the fact there isn’t any proof to knock this debate out cold tells you something’s wrong

But yea nah it’s all good because it got you the result you wanted .... I wonder if Jeremy Cameron is in the same scenario with a shot on goal this weekend if you’ll be talking about “perfect positioning”...
Incorrect - almost universally (apart from one-eyed Port fans like yourself), the footage is inconclusive either way, which means the umpires original stands.

I could understand Hinkley losing at the press conference if this was a howler that wasn't over-turned, but it wasn't.

So much crying over when correct procedure was followed.

Not sure why but this reminded me of Mr. Orange. Port is the policeman obviously.

dogs-reservoir-dogs-35202566-500-216.gif
Saw it again the other night!

Not seen this game. Just saw a brief video of it on some show last night and not convinced it was clearly a point. Might have to check out the last quarter of game to see where to find it in next 24 hours to make my own mind up after a few looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back