Opinion Port Adelaide - One club. Two captains. Good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the classic ‘who is that’ ‘never heard of him’ either just shows people don’t actually watch footy or they’re just trolling.

You’re right though, he was well on his way to AA last year before getting injured.

I personally love that our defense with Jonas, Clurey, Dougal, Bonner etc is so underrated, takes the pressure off them and they can keep performing as a top 5 defense as they have been the last 2 years.

Unpopular opinion but people who actually watch both would see he is better than the highly touted Vics of late like Astbury and Grimes who play similar roles.

He’s better than Astbury, not sure about Grimes though.

2 captains. That's history in the making by killing a true Port Adelaide tradition.

Can they get a 2nd club president also while they are at it?

They do already, Koch head is just the public face. There is probably some poor guy behind the scenes doing all the leg work.

Richmond decided their captain would wear 17 and the next 3 captains did, but then Cotchin said no thanks I'll stick with 9, eventually he captained the Tigers first flag in yonks.

Sydney were laughed at for bringing in 3 co captains and won the flag.

There's 45 players to look after, a heap of media and sponsor commitments and no one player - captain or otherwise - is given any special powers to control the group or make decisions. That responsibility largely falls on a coach. Unless you have someone like Luke Hodge it makes more sense to have 2 or even 3 captains and even then Hodge had Sam Mitchell as well as several other experienced players on hand.

Genuinely surprised people don’t know who Jonas is. Completely ignoring the fact he’s one of the best defenders in the league, i’d Have thought the Gaff incident would make him memorable

It's basically a footy club publicly stating that it didn't have faith in either of these two to be club captain, let alone anyone else in the group.

It's basically a footy club publicly stating that it didn't have faith in either of these two to be club captain, let alone anyone else in the group.
Yeah sure it is. Got nothing to do with the playing group picking both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sure it is. Got nothing to do with the playing group picking both.

I mean hell, go for it. I wouldn't like it, but then it's not my club.

My point isn't about who picks the "captains", it's that there can't have been a strong and clear choice. If there was, that person would be captain right now.

The group wouldn't say Player X is obviously going to be a great captain. Move over Luke Hodge, step aside Michael Voss, Player X is here.

Hang on, here's a great idea... Let's let Player X share it with kind-of-good leader Player Y. Because... um... reasons.

I mean hell, go for it. I wouldn't like it, but then it's not my club.

My point isn't about who picks the "captains", it's that there can't have been a strong and clear choice. If there was, that person would be captain right now.

The group wouldn't say Player X is obviously going to be a great captain. Move over Luke Hodge, step aside Michael Voss, Player X is here.

Hang on, here's a great idea... Let's let Player X share it with kind-of-good leader Player Y. Because... um... reasons.
I'm actually in your court in that I don't like it either.

But it's the team's choice not mine.

I generally like one captain but I'm in the camp that thinks it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day if you have good leaders they will work it out and if you don't you will struggle regardless of how you divide any duties and responsibilities.

The worst idea I can recall was St.Kilda's rotating captains, geez that was a crap idea. Especially in such a talented team with some genuinely good leaders available to choose from. For the record I still don't think it ruined them I just find the idea of it ridiculous.

Yeah the classic ‘who is that’ ‘never heard of him’ either just shows people don’t actually watch footy or they’re just trolling.

You’re right though, he was well on his way to AA last year before getting injured.

I personally love that our defense with Jonas, Clurey, Dougal, Bonner etc is so underrated, takes the pressure off them and they can keep performing as a top 5 defense as they have been the last 2 years.

Unpopular opinion but people who actually watch both would see he is better than the highly touted Vics of late like Astbury and Grimes who play similar roles.

Considering Astbury and Grimes tend to play completely different roles to each other, I don't know how 'people who actually watch both' could say one player could play a similar role to both of them.

You know what surprised me more than Port Adelaide naming co-captains? The amount of people making it a big deal.

I don’t understand what the big deal is. Who cares if they did something that Port Adelaide did not ever do. Yeah, I wouldn’t like it if my club had co-captains, but that is because I don’t think our current list needs co-captains. It is not because the co-captain idea is a bad idea.

Port Adelaide on the other hand need more onfield leadership with the amount of capitulation they have been doing since 2014. This move doesn’t consider tradition because something needs to change with their onfield leadership. This move considers winning alone and I think it is a good move for Port Adelaide since Wines and Jonas don’t come across as big personalities.

You know what surprised me more than Port Adelaide naming co-captains? The amount of people making it a big deal.

I don’t understand what the big deal is. Who cares if they did something that Port Adelaide did not ever do. Yeah, I wouldn’t like it if my club had co-captains, but that is because I don’t think our current list needs co-captains. It is not because the co-captain idea is a bad idea.

Port Adelaide on the other hand need more onfield leadership with the amount of capitulation they have been doing since 2014. This move doesn’t consider tradition because something needs to change with their onfield leadership. This move considers winning alone and I think it is a good move for Port Adelaide since Wines and Jonas don’t come across as big personalities.

Very good point.

With the last point, I think people are forgetting how poor Boak was as a captain the last few years, he inspired nothing.

I would’ve like Jonas to be the sole captain but I think honestly they’ve done it to appease Wines for his big contract and potential, a.l.a Cripps. They want him to be the captain but they know he doesn’t have the on-field leadership (same as Boak) that Jonas absolutely does as a tough as nails, defensive general.

However, I think they are doing it to let Wines grow as he is the future of the club and hopefully elevate his game to elite.

That being said I would’ve gone Jonas captain and Wines vice not both captains. As long as it’s discussed and put forward that Jonas will be doing the on-field leadership work all season that’s really who the players will be listening to on game day.

You echo my thoughts. Many Port people are losing their s**t over this, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. We have been flaky for the last 4 years and our supporters are massively frustrated. If the players/coahes/board think it's the best thing for the team to win games, why not do it? If we continue to be s**t at football, 2 Captains is the last thing I'm going to blame.

Who cares
It's just a title
I'm sure Robbie Gray will be just as influential in a leadership role in the forward line as Jonas down back or Wines in the midfield.
In this day and age, every club has a multitude of leaders.
The role of a captain today also is to be the off-field face of the club.
Deal with the media
Deal with the sponsors
etc.

It's insignificant in the greater scheme of things.
It's an off the field role.
Co-captains is fine (3 is pushing it, 4 is overkill)

I honestly feel this is a
Tom Jonas is the better leader and is what Port value in their leaders and is the captain they wanted on the field
Ollie Wines is the more known player with a media profile and is of more value off the field with the media etc.
situation

Neither encompasses the full role of a modern captain, but together they compliment each other perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back