Opinion Port Adelaide - One club. Two captains. Good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good point.

With the last point, I think people are forgetting how poor Boak was as a captain the last few years, he inspired nothing.

I would’ve like Jonas to be the sole captain but I think honestly they’ve done it to appease Wines for his big contract and potential, a.l.a Cripps. They want him to be the captain but they know he doesn’t have the on-field leadership (same as Boak) that Jonas absolutely does as a tough as nails, defensive general.

However, I think they are doing it to let Wines grow as he is the future of the club and hopefully elevate his game to elite.

That being said I would’ve gone Jonas captain and Wines vice not both captains. As long as it’s discussed and put forward that Jonas will be doing the on-field leadership work all season that’s really who the players will be listening to on game day.
It can be an apprenticeship for Wines. The thing that Wines has though is a good midfield ability. He’s the guy that the younger midfielders can emulate, and on that alone I agree with Port’s decision to make him captain. Jonas though is obviously the better choice. He is one of my favourite non-Richmond players as he is not only a great defender, but one of the most level-headed guys in the AFL. I believe he’ll make not only a good captain for Port Adelaide, but also a good co-captain with Wines.

You echo my thoughts. Many Port people are losing their s**t over this, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. We have been flaky for the last 4 years and our supporters are massively frustrated. If the players/coahes/board think it's the best thing for the team to win games, why not do it? If we continue to be s**t at football, 2 Captains is the last thing I'm going to blame.
Yeah exactly, not a huge issue. I don’t know why some Port supporters are getting angry about this because the two players they chose seem to have the character to become great co-leaders of the club. Neither of their personalities are abrasive and too domineering, meaning that they’ll probably be able to co-lead the club well. Remember that they’ll be guided and trained on how to become leaders as well with Port’s available resources and not just be thrown in the deep end. With how things have been going post-2014, why wouldn’t Port’s supporters be happy with it? Leadership was the main issue for Port Adelaide in the last few seasons IMO, so a drastic but calculated change in leadership sounds like a great idea. If you look at who they picked, it doesn’t sound like they just randomly drew the names of two guys out of a hat.

Just laughing at the collective mind squibs that were bagging out Pt Adelaide for having dual captains!
:cool:
We are in no position to bag them for having co-captains but we can sure as hell laugh at their supporters for freaking out about it, especially the ones who trolled Adelaide for going with co-captains.

I'm not a fan of the co-captain thing personally but I accepted it and moved on pretty quickly. There are bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

1 city, 4 captains!!! YIKES, not bad for a backwater state.

Said it when Adelaide announced 2 captains it was a decision that wreaks weakness, and will say it again, it's a decision that wreaks weakness.
If this doesn't work, heads will be rolling at Alberton.

I don't mind 2 captains if club doesn't see one standout leader. Captains really aren't that important in many other sports.

Adelaide didnt have the balls to drop Walker as sole leader who clearly couldn't deal with it last year, Sloane would be perfectly capable by himself.

I don't mind 2 captains if club doesn't see one standout leader. Captains really aren't that important in many other sports.

Adelaide didnt have the balls to drop Walker as sole leader who clearly couldn't deal with it last year, Sloane would be perfectly capable by himself.

In defence of Walker, he was getting s**t canned left right and centre, often over the dumbest issues by the media. I find him embarrassing on Twitter, but I think his passion, commitment for the club and ability to lead by example all to be there. You would definitely know better than I would though!

In this thread there's actually been some pretty fantastic points, I think the key issue for me personally is I have little to no faith in the current Port administration as they've vastly underachieved for a solid 4 years with no repercussions. It feels like we have an administration that doesn't have their finger on the pulse of what members want, take away another aspect of what makes Port Port. Not losing any sleep over it, but it feels a bit weird.

In defence of Walker, he was getting s**t canned left right and centre, often over the dumbest issues by the media. I find him embarrassing on Twitter, but I think his passion, commitment for the club and ability to lead by example all to be there. You would definitely know better than I would though!

In this thread there's actually been some pretty fantastic points, I think the key issue for me personally is I have little to no faith in the current Port administration as they've vastly underachieved for a solid 4 years with no repercussions. It feels like we have an administration that doesn't have their finger on the pulse of what members want, take away another aspect of what makes Port Port. Not losing any sleep over it, but it feels a bit weird.

Short memory

It’s worked well for us for 7 (going into 8) years.

Davis & Ward are the longest serving captains in the league (along with Selwood at the Cats)

Depends on the club, depends on the players.
Well said, M.C.

I actually really dislike the idea of co-captains but when I thought about GWS I realised that Ward and Davis actually do seem to work really well together. It would be hard work to criticise the way they compliment each other in terms of strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad call Caro.

The club should know that the supporter base is beginning to lack faith in the administration (if it hasn’t lost it already). By making such a decision they would/should know that it would aggrieve the base further.

If titles do mean little, just give it to one and I’m sure the other guy knows he is a leader.

Or a better idea is to just football better and everyone will support what ever happens.

Didnt watch the 2017 GF?
He was s**t that day, and I love to sink the boot into him over that. But ultimately, while I don’t follow the Adelaide football club religiously, my perception is that Walker was the constant through some pretty tough years and helped the team pull through maintaining great results that eventually lead to a GF berth. Then the entire club got a bit carried away with 1 really bad day and it ****ed up a whole year. I’d still say he’s done a pretty good job, unless I’m missing something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back