List Mgmt. Port Adelaide poised for player raid

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Despite an aggressive post-season recruiting campaign in which they landed three players, Port Adelaide’s salary cap position in 2018 has the club positioned to snare another significant player.

Despite an aggressive post-season recruiting campaign in which they landed three players, Port Adelaide’s salary cap position in 2018 has the club positioned to snare another significant player.

Port are entering the season with a list that is, on average, younger than in 2017 – a surprising outcome in view of their aggression at the trading table. They drafted five teenagers, in addition to those mature-age recruits.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-poised-for-player-raid-20180214-p4z0cu.html

Port are entering the season with a list that is, on average, younger than in 2017 – a surprising outcome in view of their aggression at the trading table. They drafted five teenagers, in addition to those mature-age recruits.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-poised-for-player-raid-20180214-p4z0cu.html

But, but, but...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/are-port-over-doing-it.1181389/

YIu45nG.jpg

All i could do in reading that is put it together with the pessimistic side of Wines' situation and think we are going to trade Wines on our way to Pick 1 / Lukosius? and use the even bigger salary cap space to land a major target for 2019 plus lock in everyone else we want to keep.

Of course I dont want Ollie to go, but i ain't getting good vibes on his situation.

Now that we've moved on Jackson Trengove, Matthew Lobbe and Jarman Impey, that'd be a fair bit of cap space now available.

But just remember, no players salaries are made public, and if you listen to everyone on BigFooty or Facebook, every player apparently earns $500k

All i could do in reading that is put it together with the pessimistic side of Wines' situation and think we are going to trade Wines on our way to Pick 1 / Lukosius? and use the even bigger salary cap space to land a major target for 2019 plus lock in everyone else we want to keep.

Of course I dont want Ollie to go, but i ain't getting good vibes on his situation.

It’s an article on The Age website, not the Port website. It’s purely speculating what they think we might do with the extra cap space.

images-4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm blocked as well, must have a thing against Port supporters :D

wouldn't be surprised if he is.

I’ve posted on Twitter about 5 times ever and both Barrett and Jon Ralph have me blocked. I did call Ralph a hack once, but can’t recall saying anything to Barrett. Maybe he just went through Ralph’s block list.

I am .. look at my post in Ollie Thread re Jane Wines .. he is staying

This is interesting and exciting, but since we recruited to fill our 3 areas of need it does beg the question who exactly we would need to recruit in a player that is ready made. Whilst we now have Westhoff, Dixon and Watts who are staggered in age but aren't retiring in the next 3 years. We have Marshall looking promising but probably need another KPF developing ready to come into the first team in 3 years time, but we don't need to recruit another Watts. We definitely don't need another developing ruck with Frampton having many years in the system, Ladhams second year in and Hayes now drafted so need one of those guys to take the step up when Ryder retires in the coming years but don't need to recruit a ready made player as Frampton should be able to play a few games if needed by now. We have enough midfielders to the point Wingard, Gray and Motlop should play more forward especially if Westhoff continues to play up the ground and Watts plays a bit of a wing role at times as well to allow a Marshall to be picked. We definitely don't need anymore HBFers either. Literally the only area of shallow depth is key position defense. Who fits that bill though...Jeremy McGovern??? Ben Reid? Andy Otten LOL?

This is interesting and exciting, but since we recruited to fill our 3 areas of need it does beg the question who exactly we would need to recruit in a player that is ready made. Whilst we now have Westhoff, Dixon and Watts who are staggered in age but aren't retiring in the next 3 years. We have Marshall looking promising but probably need another KPF developing ready to come into the first team in 3 years time, but we don't need to recruit another Watts. We definitely don't need another developing ruck with Frampton having many years in the system, Ladhams second year in and Hayes now drafted so need one of those guys to take the step up when Ryder retires in the coming years but don't need to recruit a ready made player as Frampton should be able to play a few games if needed by now. We have enough midfielders to the point Wingard, Gray and Motlop should play more forward especially if Westhoff continues to play up the ground and Watts plays a bit of a wing role at times as well to allow a Marshall to be picked. We definitely don't need anymore HBFers either. Literally the only area of shallow depth is key position defense. Who fits that bill though...Jeremy McGovern??? Ben Reid? Andy Otten LOL?
A ruckman to hit the ground running in if Frampton et al don't/can't make the step up and a KPD basically to replace Austin (and potentially Hombsch). A decent midfielder is always handy as well.

Edit: would obviously hold off on the ruck call if Frampton plays this year and plays well but if not, he's just another Giles or Redden...5 years on the list with potential but poor development or injury gets in the way.

Lobbe and Trengrove were our salary cap pressure. That’s pretty common knowledge.

We have a squad capable of winning it now, so we need to secure future wins with young stars and high picks.

Don’t * it up Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back