Preview Port Adelaide @ Sydney - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

"To the last, I grapple with thee. From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -
Moby-Dick

The story of Moby Dick is one of obsession - of single minded desire that not only entraps the character of Captain Ahab in his quest for revenge against a white whale that took his leg, but also defines him and his entire life.

Port Adelaide has a white whale. It is the Sydney Swans at the SCG. Because this is the opening game of the season, this will be a three parter. The first thing we are going to be discussing is our forwards vs their defenders.

Key Matchups: Forwards

Jackson Trengove/Patrick Ryder vs Aliir Aliir

Aliir's strength comes from his intercept marking ability, which stems from the ability to sag off his man and provide cover to teammates. By playing a resting ruck in the forward line, it makes him accountable defensively and negates his primary role for the Swans to generate scoring chains.

Charlie Dixon vs Heath Grundy

It is vital that Trengove/Ryder and Dixon keep their separation so that Charlie draws Grundy from Aliir, because that's exactly what Longmire wants - Grundy to do the defending and Aliir to do the intercepting. I'm not expecting a huge game statistically from Dixon. His job will be to draw the defence away from guys like Eddy, Wingard, Young and Robbie Gray.

Chad Wingard/Robbie Gray vs Nick Smith

This is why Wingard playing through the midfield is such a key component of our game plan this year. Wingard is a completely different type of small forward to Gray - whereas Gray is more your traditional lead up forward that also has a great ground game and evasive skills (like a Monfries) that relies on hard work and repeat efforts, Wingard relies on natural ability and talent. These two need to grind Smith into the ground - and the biggest issue he's going to have with them is that one is a right footer and the other is a left footer, so switching to cover a different dominant side defensively should be a bit of a mind * for him.

Brett Eddy vs Dane Rampe

A battle of the mature aged recruits. This could determine the difference between a narrow loss and an epic win (the customary smashing happens in the midfield). If Dixon and Trengove/Ryder are doing their jobs, Eddy should be one on one with Rampe for most of the game. He's going to need to call on his years of experience in the SANFL taking the best defenders to expose an elite AFL defender like Dane, who loves to get involved with intercept marking.

Aaron Young vs Callum Mills

Another intense battle, and one that will require Young to focus defensively because Mills likes pushing up the ground into the midfield. He needs to ensure that doesn't happen by making himself dangerous and always presenting up forward. When Hinkley talks about us not having 'smarts' up forward, he means the ability to know when to hang back and when to follow. It's for this reason why I'd be selecting Angus Monfries and Matt White to give an AFL experienced dynamic to our forward line/midfield and playing them off the bench. A guy like Karl Amon just doesn't have the nous yet to make an elite talent like Mills think twice about going off for a run.

Next week, we will look at the midfield.

The thing that stood out most to me at Noarlunga yesterday was that we have obviously been practising keeping a forward structure to give lead up options out of defence.

Last year, too often we were caught with all players between the ball and the opposition forwards. We had no exit strategy except for risky handballing and running it out, or simply sinking the boot in and waiting for it to come back, rugby union-style.

Yesterday, we justabout always had a tall forward leading towards the exit kick. Ryder, Trengove and Dixon took several lead-up marks on the wing, and this gave our midfielders who had collapsed into defence time to run forward.

I hope this is a genuine tweak to the 2017 game plan. We still have many weaknesses - our best ballgetters are below average with their disposal; we still lack a genuinely good crumbing forward and we are suspect with our concentration in defensive zones- but at this level, coaching is a huge portion of whether a team can become dominant, and I saw enough yesterday to say that Ken and his team realise where we struggled last year.

Can we win? Absolutely. The Swans are notoriously slow starters, and are a bit more hurt bt missing and traded players than us.
Will we win? I doubt it. Apart from being a more mature, better structured team than us, the Swans play their home circle far better than we ever have. And they have Buddy Franklin.

Swans by 13 points

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm expecting the worse due to the fact we can't play the SCG.

If we played the 1st 2 JLT games the way we did the last I'd be a little more confident.

My Team for Sydney would be.

B Broadbent Hombsch Byrne Jones
HB Hartlett Trengove Jonas
C S Gray Boak Polec
HF Amon Westhoff A Young
F Dixon Eddy R Gray
R Ryder Wines Wingard
Int Powell Pepper Bonner Houston Clurey

Lets go Ports.

10xsnzk.jpg

The thing that stood out most to me at Noarlunga yesterday was that we have obviously been practising keeping a forward structure to give lead up options out of defence.

Last year, too often we were caught with all players between the ball and the opposition forwards. We had no exit strategy except for risky handballing and running it out, or simply sinking the boot in and waiting for it to come back, rugby union-style.

Yesterday, we justabout always had a tall forward leading towards the exit kick. Ryder, Trengove and Dixon took several lead-up marks on the wing, and this gave our midfielders who had collapsed into defence time to run forward.

I hope this is a genuine tweak to the 2017 game plan. We still have many weaknesses - our best ballgetters are below average with their disposal; we still lack a genuinely good crumbing forward and we are suspect with our concentration in defensive zones- but at this level, coaching is a huge portion of whether a team can become dominant, and I saw enough yesterday to say that Ken and his team realise where we struggled last year.

Can we win? Absolutely. The Swans are notoriously slow starters, and are a bit more hurt bt missing and traded players than us.
Will we win? I doubt it. Apart from being a more mature, better structured team than us, the Swans play their home circle far better than we ever have. And they have Buddy Franklin.

Swans by 13 points
Slow starters? They smashed Collingwood by 86 points in round 1 last year. Hopefully that's the exception rather than the rule, but somehow I reckon they'll be ready for us. Only our best football will bring home the 4 points.

The thing that stood out most to me at Noarlunga yesterday was that we have obviously been practising keeping a forward structure to give lead up options out of defence ....
Our forwards vacate the F50 to help out up the ground. They didn't have to against Hawthorn. Wrong thread to discuss this but It'll take me more than one game of keeping a forward structure for me to believe we've stopped doing something that goes back to Choco's time.

Last edited:
Our forwards vacate the F50 to help out up the ground. They didn't have to against Hawthorn. Wrong thread to discuss this but It'll take me more than one game of keeping a forward structure for me to believe we've stopped doing something that goes back to Choco's time.
Yeah, I agree, but the coaches are all adamant that they're coaching a whole new game plan that is only just starting to come together, so please allow me my hope for the next fortnight. :straining:

Please be true!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's still something obviously terribly wrong when we had multiple entries in last years thrashing that came out of the 50 without us touching the ball inside 50. Or the 2015 game at AO where we lost by 48 points with 10 more inside 50s. There have been too many desperate kicks in those games and some of them were made with time to consider and wait for players to run to space. Even in the 2014 game against Hawthorn where we just held them off there were some wild kicks out of defence that came straight back that with a slightly calmer head could have set up a forward move, or at least one of our players holding the ball in midfield.

It will be battle of the midfield that dictates the result. Win contested possession and stoppages then we can match it with sydney. When need insane pressure on Sydney mids. If we are frail and slightly off it will result in another J Kennedy master class.

No way Monfries AND White both play.

Be surprised if either of them do TBH.

Experience is only good if it can be used.

White looked way off the ball on Sunday and Monfries is just coming back from injury.

No more gold passes please Ken.

Boak got a corky from Ollie on Sunday, might be an easy way to leave him out of the side without publically saying that he is dropped.

Doubt that would happen as he will likely be given games early to get in to form but would love it if he was left out.

Would send a strong message and also help him sort out his disgraceful disposal and fumbles.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back