Preview Port Adelaide @ Sydney - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line scares the hell out of me, hard to see us scoring more that 10 goals.

Amplified by the fact Sydney has a ridiculously dour defence.

R Gray, Wingard, Young, Eddy, Dixon, Westhoff is a pretty good forward half.

Eddy is unproven, westhoff isn't that good and Dixon has yet to fire a shot.

I'm certainly not sharing the confidence.

Eddy is unproven, westhoff isn't that good and Dixon has yet to fire a shot.

I'm certainly not sharing the confidence.

At 30 Westhoff has good potential :)

Dixon at 25 has good potential

Jacko has untried potential up forward

Eddy has SANFL runs on the board!

No doubt about Gray, Wingard and Young however.

I think our forward line matches up really well against their backline. Its up to the midfield to not s**t the bed and get it up there enough.

I've often wondered what Westhoff's career would've looked like by now had he been in say the Hawthorn system under Clarko.

We're at least in with a better chance with a competent ruckman I feel.

The biggest killer the last time against Sydney were our kickouts and attrocious accuracy by foot through the corridor, a total s**tshow when we don't have the polish to match. We were always going to the safety of the boundary and contested packs at the kickouts, and as soon as the ball hit the deck the Swans players turned it into a game of pass-the-parcel and rebounded straight back into their 50. Our choices get dumber when there's no backup kickout target, Boak hitting a Swans player on the chest from 15m out was laughable in its desperation for an easy option.

You get a mobile player like Ryder in our side and all of a sudden we're not so Dixon-conscious and may increase our chances of getting it in past the centre circle without giving 6 points to the opposition every time.

If there's rain anywhere around the Sydney area during summer or Autumn it's gonna burst somewhere. Once one of those low pressure systems parks itself just off the coast it's on for young and old. I once spent an Easter in Sydney where the rain didn't stop, not even for 10 seconds, over the entire 4 day weekend.

I found that out the hard way while rock climbing in the Blue Mountains. Went from bright warm and sunny to torrential downpour in about ten minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the team because it feels like a long time since Hinkley went with who are performing rather than just relying on players who have been around.

Can't argue with selections on what we've seen in the pre-season (Atley possibly earnt a start instead of Broadbent for this game).
Forward line as named does look slow though.

With Impey & Pittard to come in, Austin & Atley around the mark, pressure should be on to perform or get dropped.
Hopefully Ken rewards form.

I think we are a good chance to win this.
Best of luck to SPP, Houston & Eddy on their debuts :thumbsu:

Will be unable to watch the match live but will try to avoid the score so I can watch the replay later. The reason I won't watch it live is that I'll be in Glasgow to watch Ride and The Jesus & Mary Chain - I know most people couldn't care less but I guess Dylan8 would relate to it

I've often wondered what Westhoff's career would've looked like by now had he been in say the Hawthorn system under Clarko.

Westy ideally is played in the Richo/Rewoldt twilight role. Roaming tall link man who runs forward and snags a few.

Unfortunately we have been completely void of tall forwards other than Tredders and Schulz. So he's played 2nd fiddle basically all his career and he is 3rd or a winger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back