Port Adelaide Team of the 21st Century

NoddyHolder

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As an unbiased supporter, i included all 4 of those names. As ive said before i think a lot of the backlash is due to supporters emotions with those players leaving. And its backed up by a lot of people not including players out of those 4 in their teams
Wingard absolutely should be included. Stevens and Burgoyne are two that you could make an argument for either way - working against Stevens is the fact that his finals performances were flakey and were a factor in the team's finals flakiness before 2004. We became a better team without him. Troy Chaplin was crushed more than anyone by the 07 grand final - he was standing the Norm Smith medalist and was humiliated. As a player he was never the same again.
I also. can't take seriously any team that doesn't include Michael Wilson

curnow inferno

Debutant
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Stevens and Burgoyne are two that you could make an argument for either way - working against Stevens is the fact that his finals performances were flakey and were a factor in the team's finals flakiness before 2004. We became a better team without him.
Not saying I remember this specifically but a quick check of his stats shows in all the finals he played for port all of his stats including disposals, goals, clearances, and contested possessions were significantly higher compared to his home and away stats. Obviously stats only tell a very small part of the story but I feel like this conception might have come about because port won the flag the year after he left and the fact his playing style wasn't what you normally associate with good finals footballers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom