C: S.BURGOYNE - D.CASSISI - P.BURGOYNE
HF: R.GRAY* - W.TREDREA (c) - J.WESTHOFF*
FF: C.WINGARD - J.SCHULZ - D.MOTLOP
RR: M.PRIMUS (vc) - K.CORNES - T.BOAK*
INT: B.LADE - BRA.EBERT* - N.STEVENS - O.WINES*
COACH: MARK WILLIAMS

Minimum 50 games qualification.

Thoughts?
Without coming off as "aggressive" may I please simply ask why you selected Troy Chaplin and what you saw in him to list him as a best 22 player among other candidates?

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Without coming off as "aggressive" may I please simply ask why you selected Troy Chaplin and what you saw in him to list him as a best 22 player among other candidates?

I really feel like chaplin is not being accepted here due to the circumstances he left the club. I rated him as a good defender and I remember how excited richmond were to get him.

after seeing all the criticism, i even went through top 10 best and fairest results at port for this century and believe it or not overall he is in the top half of the 22 i named so sounds like the coaches agree he was a pretty handy player.

obviously a lot of variables go in to that too so it's not enough to base off on its own but the reason i posted was to get your feedback anyway to see if i was close or not. i think i've received a pretty unanimous answer!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I really feel like chaplin is not being accepted here due to the circumstances he left the club. I rated him as a good defender and I remember how excited richmond were to get him.

after seeing all the criticism, i even went through top 10 best and fairest results at port for this century and believe it or not overall he is in the top half of the 22 i named so sounds like the coaches agree he was a pretty handy player.

obviously a lot of variables go in to that too so it's not enough to base off on its own but the reason i posted was to get your feedback anyway to see if i was close or not. i think i've received a pretty unanimous answer!

He might have been getting top 10 B&F finishes, but he was doing so when we were one of the worst sides in the league, and despite the club seeming to rate him, the supporters always had issues with the way he went about it. Nobody at Port shed a tear when he left.

Your side isn't that far off really, but including Chaplin proves that you probably don't know enough about Port over the last 20 years to be bothering.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if 2004 B&F winner David Teague makes this bloke's Carlton team of the century?

Youre comparing a bloke who had 1 top 10 placing to a bloke who had 5..

But as i emphasised earlier if you read my post, i only checked this after receiving all the criticism. So once again to simplify it for you, it was not the reason for me selecting him. Hope that helps.

Just one extra, which is that when Troy Chaplin left as a Restricted Free Agent, this board was very much ‘lol bye chappy’, and linked to this is that I can’t imagine any team’s team of this century including a guy they cbf matching his middling RFA offer to keep

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

For the record, this is what I meant by looking at "basic stats". You have to put things in context.

He was a defender in one of the worst teams in the AFL, so of course he got a lot of the ball, and of course he sat high up in our top 10 - there wasn't a lot of competition back then as most of the players alongside him were either not very good footballers, guys coming to the end of their careers, or guys just starting out.

For the record, I reckon you went about this backwards. I think you should have started by researching what people who know the club inside out think, and then gone to the stats and awards to eliminate bias.

Sorry to intrude.

I thought it would be a fun exercise for an opposition supporter to do a team prior to reading any posts in this thread, and without doing any research, and then comparing that team with supporters who have more of an idea.

Looks like my team wasn't too far off the mark by looking at the teams posted.

Wanganeen - Wakelin - Bishop
Montgomery - Cornes - Kingsley
Boak - Stevens - S Burgoyne
Pickett - Tredrea - R Gray
Brett Ebert - Westhoff - Motlop
Primus - Kornes - P Burgoyne
Lade, Francou, Wines, Schofield

The names in bold seem to be the ones that weren;t included in many other teams. I'm surprised by the lack of inclusions of Stevens, but you guys would know more.

Dew and James are two obvious ones I missed.

Sorry to intrude.

I thought it would be a fun exercise for an opposition supporter to do a team prior to reading any posts in this thread, and without doing any research, and then comparing that team with supporters who have more of an idea.

Looks like my team wasn't too far off the mark by looking at the teams posted.

Wanganeen - Wakelin - Bishop
Montgomery - Cornes - Kingsley
Boak - Stevens - S Burgoyne
Pickett - Tredrea - R Gray
Brett Ebert - Westhoff - Motlop
Primus - Kornes - P Burgoyne
Lade, Francou, Wines, Schofield

The names in bold seem to be the ones that weren;t included in many other teams. I'm surprised by the lack of inclusions of Stevens, but you guys would know more.

Dew and James are two obvious ones I missed.

I do approve of your not including Troy Chaplin policy, but I don't approve of your including Brett Ebert policy.

I do approve of your not including Troy Chaplin policy, but I don't approve of your including Brett Ebert policy.
Very fair. One BP and both FP positions were the last three players I included when doing my team. I was having a tough time trying to think of who to include, and after five minutes Bishop, Ebert and Motlop were the ones who came to mind (only cause I couldn't think of anyone better). I definitely should have had Dew and James in, just couldn't think of them at the time.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
If you can't take criticism fob off

Believe it or not - i actually came here to get criticism to see how far off i was. And pretty much every other clubs board has given me that in a great way except port and to a much lesser extent bulldogs

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Believe it or not - i actually came here to get criticism to see how far off i was. And pretty much every other clubs board has given me that in a great way except port and to a much lesser extent bulldogs
A debutant coming in without a reason who then criticises them....

Yeah good strategy.

What's up with some of these teams not including Wingard? May not have finished his career here but he still managed two AA's and B&F, which puts him well ahead of a lot of the other names being included. If Nick Stevens and Shaun Burgoyne can get a gig for what they did for us then Wingard is an absolute shoe-in.

I'm guessing you didn't do anything as egregiously wrong as including Troy Chaplin in any of your other efforts.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
What's up with some of these teams not including Wingard? May not have finished his career here but he still managed two AA's and B&F, which puts him well ahead of a lot of the other names being included. If Nick Stevens and Shaun Burgoyne can get a gig for what they did for us then Wingard is an absolute shoe-in.

I'm guessing you didn't do anything as egregiously wrong as including Troy Chaplin in any of your other efforts.

As an unbiased supporter, i included all 4 of those names. As ive said before i think a lot of the backlash is due to supporters emotions with those players leaving. And its backed up by a lot of people not including players out of those 4 in their teams

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
To be honest Troy Chaplin is just one of many what-ifs from the dying years of Choco and the Primus years. During that time we had many players including Chaplin showing promising signs and great potential. Good examples included Steven Salopek, Jarred Redden and dare I say it even John Butcher had his moments early on. The issue was that we were losing money and couldn't afford to sustain good player development and player management programs, and as a result, almost all of those names failed to improve as they began to age. In particular, Salopek and Redden received injuries that they never seem to be able to fully overcome, which resulted in their bodies becoming slower and weaker.
I don't know about Chaplin though, to me he falls under the same Umbrella as Jasper Pittard. Both were defenders that showed potential in early years, but they never improved and became infamous for their constant skill errors and dumb mistakes. That being said, this was common during those years, and I'm sure there would've been a good chance that if the stance of the club was better at the time Chaplin, along with everyone else would've been able to improve with more ease. However, you can't just give players credit for potential, otherwise, almost every player in the competition would be good.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My first attempt
FB: M.Wilson | D.Wakelin | B.Montgomery
HB: G.Wanganeen | C.Cornes | S.Burgoyne
C: B.Pickett | J.Francou | J.Carr
R: M.Primus | P.Burgoyne | T.Boak
HF: S.Dew | W.Tredrea | C.Wingard
FF: B.Lade | J.Schulz | R.Gray
I: R.James | D.Cassisi | K.Cornes | J.Westhoff

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As an unbiased supporter, i included all 4 of those names. As ive said before i think a lot of the backlash is due to supporters emotions with those players leaving. And its backed up by a lot of people not including players out of those 4 in their teams
Wingard absolutely should be included. Stevens and Burgoyne are two that you could make an argument for either way - working against Stevens is the fact that his finals performances were flakey and were a factor in the team's finals flakiness before 2004. We became a better team without him. Troy Chaplin was crushed more than anyone by the 07 grand final - he was standing the Norm Smith medalist and was humiliated. As a player he was never the same again.
I also. can't take seriously any team that doesn't include Michael Wilson

Back