News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd almost forego the redevelopment if it could be guaranteed that the park would become the dogging epicentre for the western suburbs.
Well then, the club should save part of the carpark, to be established as a state of the art dog park as part of the redevelopment.
Then give residents within 150m of the oval earplugs so they can't hear the whistles.
Win:win

Does one of those signs seriously say "our children's heritage"?
Their kids' faces when they go to see the doggies in the dogging park.

maxresdefault.jpg

Imagine having such a "f**k Port" and "f**k development" mentality that you would campaign against the development of facilities that will benefit kids by keeping them engaged in junior sport. These campaigners should be too ashamed to look in the mirror.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday Rucci wrote an article for InDaily about football clubs wanting to build facilities and the reaction by different councils and different residents close to the proposed developments.

The Adelaide and Port Adelaide AFL clubs are looking to entrench suburban bases with new or expanded headquarters at Thebarton and Alberton ovals. But winning community approval presents a challenge to both clubs and community leaders. Michelangelo Rucci reports.

Michael Coxon walks the blocks around Thebarton Oval every night as a local resident rather than the robed West Torrens mayor – and says he hears a very clear message about the Crows being invited to consider it a new home. “There is not one resident who is against it,” says Coxon, whose determined campaign to lure the club to Thebarton is likened by his Ashley St neighbours to radio legend Bob Francis’ campaign to bring the Beatles to Adelaide in the 1960s. But Coxon expects the sentiment might change in the next month, whenever he steps deeper into the council district to measure the response to the Adelaide Football Club’s move from West Lakes to Thebarton being confirmed and detailed as the Crows’ best (and possibly only) option for a new home.

Coxon need only note the residents’ protest 10 kilometres away at Alberton Oval, where Port Adelaide-Enfield mayor Claire Boan is no less bullish about backing an AFL club against dissenting ratepayers.

“I have no problem walking the streets of Alberton and I do so multiple days of the week,” said Boan. “The majority of the residents are quite supportive (of the Port Adelaide Football Club’s plans for the oval).”

Both mayors are eager advocates of bringing or keeping AFL profiles within their local communities – even if this strong alignment to SA’s two AFL clubs risks some heartburn during their re-election campaigns in the next 12 months. “I don’t count votes when it comes to making decisions I feel will deliver a good community outcome,” says Boan. “My philosophy is, make the right decisions at the right time.”

Why are the mayors at Port Adelaide-Enfield and West Torrens – by contrast to the Adelaide City Council – so eager to embrace AFL clubs?

Boan answers by saying: “Pride.

“We have had the Port Adelaide Football Club as part of our community for 150 years. The people of the LeFevre peninsula have been proud by the achievement of the Port Adelaide Football Club – there is massive pride.

“When I recently saw the club documentary (“This Is Port Adelaide”) to celebrate their 150th anniversary I was staggered by what the Port Adelaide Football Club means to the local community. I also love how so many former Port Adelaide players remain part of the community by living on the LeFevre peninsula.”

Club and council have not always been strongly aligned. Constant battles over leases and conditions of use at Alberton Oval starting in the 1920s ultimately had the Port Adelaide Football Club locked out of its traditional home in 1975 and 1976.

“Our relationship today is built out of respect,” says Boan. “We respect what the Port Adelaide Football Club offers in bringing a national profile to our district by playing in the AFL. And the football club respects the local community by giving back to the district, either by wanting to engage with the community, particularly in the schools, or by working with local sporting clubs.

In today's InDaily there is a stinging letter of rebuke from long time Port supporter Mick Petrovski who I understand is a resident of the area and also a long serving ALP political staffer and public servant currently working as a Director in the Salisbury Council:

Of course Mr Petrovski is quite within his rights to air his opposition to the proposal and good on him for doing so in an online publication which has a policy of publishing the name of contributors. His willingness to put his name to his concerns is in strong contrast to most of us (including me) who comment on social media platforms such as Big Footy. I will leave it to others to read Mr Petrovski's comments on the traffic impact of the development on the local area - but will just say that imho his statement that it will increase traffic movements from zero to 500 is misleading, emotive and lacking context.

But what I do take major exception to is his closing statement:

"Public land for free? Not for you and me."

I take exception to that comment because it ignores the history of that parcel of land and the context under which it was transferred to local government ownership by its private owner a century and a half ago.

Port Adelaide supporters understand and are proud of the fact that the land on which Alberton Oval and its surrounds is now located was previously private land owned by prominent Port Adelaide businessman, community and sporting champion Mr John Formby.

Mr Formby was Port Adelaide Mayor from 1869-1873 and was Chairman of the Port Adelaide Football Club 1880 to 1892. He was a proud and vocal supporter of the PAFC and local sport in the Alberton area and he gifted that large parcel of land to the local Council (then known as the Queenstown and Alberton District Council) for the sole purpose of 'fostering participation in sport for the local community' including and in particular Australian Rules Football and Cricket.

So it seems pretty clear to me that the timely development of that parcel of land for upgraded sporting facilities as outlined in the recently outlined sporting precinct development plan is entirely consistent with Mr Formby's intentions and vision as stated in his generous act of gifting his land to the people of Alberton and the Port Adelaide area.

Ironically, it is a direct contrast with the Adelaide Crows original plans to take over a section of the Adelaide Parklands for their new HQ development - which would have been in conflict with what the Adelaide Parklands were originally established for.

Alberton Oval and surrounds is an important and vital part of the history of not just the PAFC but the broader Port Adelaide community. It is timely that it now be developed in a way that recognises the legacy and vision of John Formby in utilising it to its full potential as a sporting venue for that community.

And if that means that in the near future more members of the local community will be visiting the area with their families and children to use it as their base for participating and engaging in football, soccer, basketball and other sporting activities then I reckon Mr John Formby would be smiling at what his legacy has provided so many years later.

Last edited:
In today's InDaily there is a stinging letter of rebuke from long time Port supporter Mick Petrovski who I understand is a resident of the area and also a long serving ALP political staffer and public servant currently working as a Director in the Salisbury Council:

Of course Mr Petrovski is quite within his rights to air his opposition to the proposal and good on him for doing so in an online publication which has a policy of publishing the name of contributors. His willingness to put his name to his concerns is in strong contrast to most of us (including me) who comment on social media platforms such as Big Footy. I will leave it to others to read Mr Petrovski's comments on the traffic impact of the development on the local area - but will just say that imho his statement that it will increase traffic movements from zero to 500 is misleading, emotive and lacking context.

I take exception to that comment because it ignores the history of that parcel of land and the context under which it was transferred to local government ownership by its private owner a century and a half ago.

As most of us Port Adelaide supporters understand and are proud of the fact that the land on which Alberton Oval and its surrounds is now located was previously private land owned by prominent Port Adelaide businessman Mr John Formby.

Mr Formby was Port Adelaide Mayor from 1869-1873 and was Chairman of the Port Adelaide Football Club 1880 to 1892. He was a proud and vocal supporter of the PAFC and local sport in the Alberton area and he gifted that large parcel of land to the local Council (then known as the Queenstown and Alberton District Council) for the sole purpose of 'fostering participation in sport for the local community' including and in particular Australian Rules Football and Cricket.

So it seems pretty clear to me that the timely development of that parcel of land for upgraded sporting facilities as outlined in the recently outlined sporting precinct development plan is entirely consistent with Mr Formby's intentions and vision as stated in his generous act of gifting his land to the people of Alberton and the Port Adelaide area.

Ironically, it is a direct contrast with the Adelaide Crows original plans to take over a section of the Adelaide Parklands for their new HQ development - which would have been in conflict with what the Adelaide Parklands were originally established for.

Alberton Oval and surrounds is an important and vital part of the history of not just the PAFC but the broader Port Adelaide community. It is timely that it now be developed in a way that recognises the legacy and vision of John Formby in utilising it to its full potential as a sporting venue for that community.
Mick Petrovski sounds as much of a Port supporter as Mike "I support both teams" Smithson.

Port Adelaide supporters understand and are proud of the fact that the land on which Alberton Oval and its surrounds is now located was previously private land owned by prominent Port Adelaide businessman, community and sporting champion Mr John Formby.

And if that means that in the near future more members of the local community will be visiting the area with their families and children to use it as their base for participating and engaging in football, soccer, basketball and other sporting activities then I reckon Mr John Formby would be smiling at what his legacy has provided so many years later.
Fantastic response.
Should form the central pillar of the Club's defence of it's redevelopment proposal.
Get on the phone to Richo, mate.

Fantastic response.
Should form the central pillar of the Club's defence of it's redevelopment proposal.
Get on the phone to Richo, mate.

Cheers mate.

Not in my nature to be overly modest but in all truth I'm mostly cutting and pasting the research and hard work of others with a love of our club and history from over the years, including most recently, Michelangelo Rucci.

We all talk about our 150 year proud history as a club but we should never forget the unique strength that lies in using that history as a platform for our future as a club. It is what sets us apart from the Adelaide Crows. It is not just the history of our club, or even the Port Adelaide area - it is part of the story and fabric of the development of the city of Adelaide and the colony and state of South Australia. We should be ramming it down the throats of the politicians on local, state and federal governments as much as we can.

The story of John Formby as someone who immigrated to Port Adelaide from Liverpool at the age of 21 in 1840 in the ship he owned and then set up a successful shipping business at the Port is such a story. A man who lived and died in the Alberton area and who is buried within sight of Alberton Oval who refused to leave the Port as his business grew and set up support services for local port workers and reinvested much of his profits in the local area. This is a man with his heart and sole focused on the community. A man with vision who gifted acres of prime residential land for the sporting needs of his community not just for his lifetime, but for the future.

There is a rich irony in the fact that we now have people who are proudly living on land adjacent to that land John Formby handed over for zero recompense to the people of Alberton for sporting purposes in 1876, who are now complaining about the potential impact on their personal property values from action finally being taken to redevelop that land into meeting the sporting needs of the Port Adelaide community into the twenty first century.

Last edited:
The opposition puts its case to Indaily today.

Bottom of the article says - Dr Collette Snowden is a local resident - she is also a professional spin merchant
Her example of Liverpool FC training facilities away from Anfield ( Anfield is surrounded by houses) and Toronto Blue Jays having a spring training base in Florida are laughable.

"I live close enough to the club to be concerned about the plan for the reserve"
How much of this is people from the Charles Sturt council trying to impose their views on the Port Adelaide Enfield council?
It's a seperate council, you don't have a say.

The opposition puts its case to Indaily today.

Bottom of the article says - Dr Collette Snowden is a local resident - she is also a professional spin merchant
Her example of Liverpool FC training facilities away from Anfield ( Anfield is surrounded by houses) and Toronto Blue Jays having a spring training base in Florida are laughable.

Errr...

I have no words on the Spring Training stuff. Half of the MLB does the preseason in FL. The other half does it in AZ. How could that apply to us?

Our home stadium is not Alberton. Alberton is our training facility. Does she prefer us to build a 40,000-seat state-of-art stadium instead?

Errr...

I have no words on the Spring Training stuff. Half of the MLB does the preseason in FL. The other half does it in AZ. How could that apply to us?

Our home stadium is not Alberton. Alberton is our training facility. Does she prefer us to build a 40,000-seat state-of-art stadium instead?
Yeah that part was hilarious. “Our clubs are incapable of operating in outer parts of the city.” What, you mean outer parts of the city like port Adelaide?

Also as a comparison, “imagine New York without Central Park” and imagine Adelaide without that little patch of grass used for parking near the oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back