News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo's presentation to the council. He starts off answering the question of why is the club proposing this development, with the info Festerz provided in this thread about the original gift of land to the council by former Port Adelaide Mayor, PAFC President and shipping industry magnate of the first 50 years of South Australia

Thank you to the panel for the opportunity to present.

I am going to address three key areas tonight;
  1. Why is this development important for the Port Adelaide Football Club?
  2. What are the key features of the development for the Club?
  3. And what are the key benefits for the Community?
Firstly, the Club has undertaken a range of community consultations separate to the statutory obligations prescribed in the Council process. We held several public meetings and also provided information to all local residents outlining our objectives and inviting feedback.

We have listened and addressed the community’s concerns to ensure the proposed development achieves three main objectives;
  1. Provides the high performance facility needs of an elite AFL football club
  2. Optimises the investment with broader community sport and recreation use
  3. Significantly improves and increases open green space for passive recreation
Why is the Club proposing this Development?

Alberton Oval has been the home of the Port Adelaide Football Club since 1880.

The land was gifted to Council by Mr John Formby, a former Mayor and also Chairman of Port Adelaide for the express use of the Port Adelaide Football and Cricket Clubs.

Alberton Oval is an important part of the Club’s identity – it’s intrinsic to who we are and an important feature of what makes Port Adelaide different to other AFL Clubs.

However, the existing facilities are tired (would be in bottom two in AFL) and with the Club’s ambition for success in the AFL and our entry into the AFLW competition next year, we desperately need to upgrade and provide our players with the elite level training facilities required of an AFL Club to compete and ultimately win.

Alberton Oval’s intended use under the Council’s Land Management Plan is to support elite sporting activities, which also enable community sport and recreation.

Richo said;

If we go back 20-30years;

Alberton Oval was used every night of the week by the Club’s junior and senior teams with lights on until after 8pm and then on weekends during the winter 10-15,000 people would cram into the oval via surrounding streets to cheer on their team. And that was during winter. In summer there was cricket training most nights and matches on the weekends – it was a very busy and active precinct with football and cricket.

This is dramatically different today with the Port Adelaide Football Club of the modern AFL era. Night time use is limited to a few nights per week, and rarely are the lights on after 7pm. Major events are less and with smaller numbers, and even with the exciting entry of AFLW to Alberton Oval from December 2022, this will still be a far cry from the 10’s of thousands who came to Alberton back in the day.

Richo said;

If we go back 20-30years;

Alberton Oval was used every night of the week by the Club’s junior and senior teams with lights on until after 8pm and then on weekends during the winter 10-15,000 people would cram into the oval via surrounding streets to cheer on their team. And that was during winter. In summer there was cricket training most nights and matches on the weekends – it was a very busy and active precinct with football and cricket.

This is dramatically different today with the Port Adelaide Football Club of the modern AFL era. Night time use is limited to a few nights per week, and rarely are the lights on after 7pm. Major events are less and with smaller numbers, and even with the exciting entry of AFLW to Alberton Oval from December 2022, this will still be a far cry from the 10’s of thousands who came to Alberton back in the day.
But I brought my house in 2015, this is not relevant to my situation. Save my dogging park, dogs!

Richo's presentation to the council. He starts off answering the question of why is the club proposing this development, with the info Festerz provided in this thread about the original gift of land to the council by former Port Adelaide Mayor, PAFC President and shipping industry magnate of the first 50 years of South Australia

Thank you to the panel for the opportunity to present.

I am going to address three key areas tonight;
  1. Why is this development important for the Port Adelaide Football Club?
  2. What are the key features of the development for the Club?
  3. And what are the key benefits for the Community?
Firstly, the Club has undertaken a range of community consultations separate to the statutory obligations prescribed in the Council process. We held several public meetings and also provided information to all local residents outlining our objectives and inviting feedback.

We have listened and addressed the community’s concerns to ensure the proposed development achieves three main objectives;
  1. Provides the high performance facility needs of an elite AFL football club
  2. Optimises the investment with broader community sport and recreation use
  3. Significantly improves and increases open green space for passive recreation
Why is the Club proposing this Development?

The land was gifted to Council by Mr John Formby, a former Mayor and also Chairman of Port Adelaide for the express use of the Port Adelaide Football and Cricket Clubs.

Alberton Oval is an important part of the Club’s identity – it’s intrinsic to who we are and an important feature of what makes Port Adelaide different to other AFL Clubs.

However, the existing facilities are tired (would be in bottom two in AFL) and with the Club’s ambition for success in the AFL and our entry into the AFLW competition next year, we desperately need to upgrade and provide our players with the elite level training facilities required of an AFL Club to compete and ultimately win.

Alberton Oval’s intended use under the Council’s Land Management Plan is to support elite sporting activities, which also enable community sport and recreation.
Sheesh bottom 2 in the AFL regarding facilities.
So much for our world leading High Performance Centre they were touting we would have when Burgo was here.

Probably the single-greatest check-mate in the history of argument.

It’s effectively the club’s land, not some raw piece of public real estate worth zillions that would otherwise be ground zero for the cure for [dog] cancer.

So much for our world leading High Performance Centre they were touting we would have when Burgo was here.

That bit is a dollop of mustard. After the Mark Williams Facility was completed in 2010 and the Magpies gym under the stand on the other side of the oval was upgraded under Leys, I doubt the likes of Lions, Roos and Crows (cross-country runs through asbestos-laden rubble piles notwithstanding) would’ve gone past us.

That bit is a dollop of mustard. After the Mark Williams Facility was completed in 2010 and the Magpies gym under the stand on the other side of the oval was upgraded under Leys, I doubt the likes of Lions, Roos and Crows (cross-country runs through asbestos-laden rubble piles notwithstanding) would’ve gone past us.
Damn straight, bottom four at worst.

The Roos had Arden street massively upgraded.

The Lions built (or are building) a new place I believe too!

Only the Crows are shitter than us out of that group. And that's due to change.

The Burgo academy idea back in 2014 wasn't so much about a building, but what work was done and who worked in it. The March 2018 development ideas that started this thread off, did have a building as part of the $35m proposal. This has become more community focussed to get the funding. Still can continue the 2014 concept.

I've been keeping a mega facilities arms race file for 5 years or so and was one day going to post lots of the info, but here is a short list of who has built a mega facility and who has proposed one since Demetriou announced the Vic government and councils were chipping in to upgrade all the Vic clubs, along with the AFL and individual clubs, back in June 2006 totalling $55m.

WA
$109m - Freo, Curtin University and Cockburn council partnership sharing this facility which is more than sports, includes education facilities for the Uni, and local recreation facilities, finished in 2017. Freo contributed $12m.
$60m+ - West Coast at Lathlain Park finished in early 2020. They got $10m from each of the feds and state government.

QLD
$40m+ - Gold Coast rent/share facilities built for 2018 Commonwealth Games infrastructure.
$70m - Brisbane have announced and started building $70m development at Springwood 20km SW of Brisbane where their large Lions pokies venue is based. This Lions story from May is when construction started. Current facilities were built in 2005.

.... The project has been made possible thanks to a $20 million contribution from Ipswich City Council, $18 million from the Queensland Government and $15 million from the Australian Government as well as matching investment from the Lions and the AFL ....... ( No idea what the split is)

NSW
GWS spent monies on Tom Wills Oval facilities at Sydney Olympic Park but they get to use the great sports facilities at SOP. They got involved with the huge redevelopment of Manuka Oval with Uni of NSW and Grocon of apartments but oval upgrade and football facilities component alone will cost about $100m.

Sydney have old tired facilities at SCG. We would be in the same league as them.
In 2019 a $65m upgrade of the facilities next door at the old showgrounds, the Royal Hall of Industries building, to be shared with NSW Netball, the Swifts, Gerard Neesham's Clontaf Foundation and Goodes' Go Foundation, but the NSW government funding of $20m was pulled after Covid hit, but I believe they have reinstated it in this year's budget.

Victoria
North, Carlton, Bulldogs and Richmond had initially spent between $15m and $30m on facilities in the last 10 years and have received additional funding from governments in last few years.

Essendon spent $35m on the Hangar at Tullamarine where they have an MCG dimension + Docklands Dimension oval and opened it in 2013 and got another $20m+ the last couple of years for stage 2 to house the Vic Paralympics Sports Association.

Collingwood are always spending lots of money on their facility, the old Melbourne Glasshouse and old Olympic Park facility.

St Kilda spent about $35m at Moorabbin between 2017 and 2020.

Melbourne have moved to the developed Casey Fields at the end of 2020. Casey Fields is a development funded / controlled by the local council with the feds and state chipping in as its a multiple sports use facility but about $35m has been spent and $20m+ is proposed. Melbourne have spent very little down there. Melbourne City FC are moving their training base down there next year. Its a bloody 55km trip from the Melbourne CBD.

Hawthorn got great new facilities at Waverley Park as part of the buy out of the 20 year lease from the AFL, paid for mainly by AFL and Mirvac with Hawthorn making a contribution. They bought the land for their $60m development at Dingley in 2017 and then added a big community component and upped it to $130m with a big commitment from Labor at the 2019 federal election, but Covid has put that on hold.

Geelong were looking at moving to Deakin Uni and building a $15m facility there in 2015/16 but then got funding for stage 4 at Kardinia Park which was finished in mid 2017 and then got $100m from the Vic govt for stage 5 which was finally fully funded the $142m in last November's state budget as part of their infrastructure spend.

SA
Adelaide built their facility in 2009/10 all up cost $20m and both the crows and Port got $5m each with both clubs getting $2.5m each from the feds and $2.5m each from the state government in 2008/09. We spent $6m on the facility next to ASHQ building.

So I would say the bottom 3 current facilities are Port, Sydney and Brisbane, but Brisbane have guaranteed funding and started constructing their $70m new one, so I'd say Richo was referring to us and Sydney.

Last edited:
Thought bubble:

With all the info/advertising about saving the planer in the Advrtiser recently, maybe (after we have secured the $20mill federal government funding) we approach Elon Musk and Twiggy Forrest. Then we can tell them that we will re-design our redevelopment to be constructed as eco-friendly, enviro-responsible and with a carbon neutral footprint.

Get them to each contribute $20mill of their personal wealth to the club to finance that.

That way we get $40mill to cover extra redevelopment expenditure bills, pay off our debt, do a few more things around the precinct, place and fund a side in an AFL reserves comp, keep our Magpies side in the SANFL complete with under age teams, zones, etc - and end up with a tidy nest egg of funds left over for future needs.

Bloody simple really!

Get on to it asap Richo :cool::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought bubble:

With all the info/advertising about saving the planer in the Advrtiser recently, maybe (after we have secured the $20mill federal government funding) we approach Elon Musk and Twiggy Forrest. Then we can tell them that we will re-design our redevelopment to be constructed as eco-friendly, enviro-responsible and with a carbon neutral footprint.

Get them to each contribute $20mill of their personal wealth to the club to finance that.

That way we get $40mill to cover extra redevelopment expenditure bills, pay off our debt, do a few more things around the precinct, place and fund a side in an AFL reserves comp, keep our Magpies side in the SANFL complete with under age teams, zones, etc - and end up with a tidy nest egg of funds left over for future needs.

Bloody simple really!

Get on to it asap Richo :cool::thumbsu:
* the SANFL

But I brought my house in 2015, this is not relevant to my situation. Save my dogging park, dogs!

bff229d7556e14c24a2fc1a105b036d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the neighbours have to grovel for their $15m largesse?... no. It was summarily, even casually announced in an offhand manner in the lead up

to the last election. At the same time iirc, we were unsuccessful in applying for a $5m grant towards an Aboriginal Academy, a decision which was,

again iirc, released after the news cycle late on a Friday. It's one thing to be victim to a jaundiced local media but a whole new level, when the

neighbours have a pocket full of Liberal machiavellian svengalies spearheaded by Chrissy 'the poodle' Pyne. Doling out our money for their pet causes.

ps
Festerz well done on your research m8 :hearts:

This was never not going to be the outcome, anyone against the development had a vested interest (ie. anti-Port or pro-Crows). Any sane individual would vote in favour of the development. Exciting to see and very hopeful for the future.

ps
Festerz well done on your research m8 :hearts:

Thanx mate.

Happy to take praise whenever it appears. But as I've said before the hard work was done by others in the Port family over the years, whose work at documenting our proud history I just repeated.

But it's such a great story about what others long ago were prepared to give up for this Club, when the future of South Australia itself was far from certain, that it should never be forgotten.

And it puts the complaints from a couple of dozen people worried about where their dogs are going to have a s**t every morning into a bit of perspective I reckon.

Hopefully our former Chairman John Formby gets his name on one of the buildings that gets built on the land he donated for our use almost 150 years ago, along with a monument giving proper recognition of what he did for our club and the city of Port Adelaide. Perhaps they can make a dog drinking bowl a part of a monument so the rest of us can have a laugh at the story of what happened in 2021 ;)).

But, but Pooortz only pay a peppercorn rent
They're ripping off ratepayers
Wind them up the feckin cheapskates

Be nice if this little part of history was made a little bit clearer to all

FIFA allows for all grades juniors to masters saying dimensions can vary between 90-120m x 45-90m.
This is correct. Any official domestic match can be played in fields within those dimensions. Local leagues however can set their own standards within those parameters.

Thanx mate.

Happy to take praise whenever it appears. But as I've said before the hard work was done by others in the Port family over the years, whose work at documenting our proud history I just repeated.

But it's such a great story about what others long ago were prepared to give up for this Club, when the future of South Australia itself was far from certain, that it should never be forgotten.

And it puts the complaints from a couple of dozen people worried about where their dogs are going to have a sh*t every morning into a bit of perspective I reckon.

Hopefully our former Chairman John Formby gets his name on one of the buildings that gets built on the land he donated for our use almost 150 years ago, along with a monument giving proper recognition of what he did for our club and the city of Port Adelaide. Perhaps they can make a dog drinking bowl a part of a monument so the rest of us can have a laugh at the story of what happened in 2021 ;)).

Why can’t their dogs just s**t out the back, like a normal dog…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed either the new buildings should be called the John Formby facility/hall etc or the soccer pitch called the John Formby Field, with an appropriate monument/plaque describing what he did 150 years ago, should be a given, and educate all Port fans about his foresight and generosity.

Formby was President from 1880 to 1892 not Chairman, as that role was held by 5 others during those 13 seasons. When footy clubs were associations they had both a president and chairman. I have never understood the difference, even with my local club I played footy for.

When footy clubs became incorporated companies, the old Vic clubs keep the phrase President, who was technically chairman of the board of the company/footy club. The AFL seems keen to make sure the non Vic expansion clubs refer to their president as chairman. Koch called himself president for a few weeks, then Wicker told him he actually is the chairman of PAFC Ltd board, so he adopted that title.

Edit The John Formby Memorial Fountain on corner of St Vincent and Lipson streets.

1635995103600.png

Last edited:
As I made a contribution to the council's consultation process I got this email about 5 minutes ago.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] Alberton Oval: Important information [/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Good afternoon to contributors and followers of the Alberton Oval precinct consultation .
Please note that Council will be making a decision on both the draft Alberton Oval Community Land Management Plan and the extension of the lease for the same site at its ordinary Council meeting early next week.

The meeting will be held at Town Hall, 62 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide at 7pm, Tuesday 9 November 2021.

This follows the recent decision made by the independent Council Assessment Panel to grant conditional planning consent for the Development Application. This conditional consent does not represent an approval by Council for this development to proceed, it assesses the application against the Planning Code. Full statement here .

For contact details and further information, please visit the Have Your Say PAE page .[/TD]
[/TD]

As I made a contribution to the council's consultation process I got this email about 5 minutes ago.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] Alberton Oval: Important information [/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Good afternoon to contributors and followers of the Alberton Oval precinct consultation .
Please note that Council will be making a decision on both the draft Alberton Oval Community Land Management Plan and the extension of the lease for the same site at its ordinary Council meeting early next week.

The meeting will be held at Town Hall, 62 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide at 7pm, Tuesday 9 November 2021.

This follows the recent decision made by the independent Council Assessment Panel to grant conditional planning consent for the Development Application. This conditional consent does not represent an approval by Council for this development to proceed, it assesses the application against the Planning Code. Full statement here .

For contact details and further information, please visit the Have Your Say PAE page .[/TD]
[/TD]
I got one too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back