News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

8696933d5a2be0c0f8fd5d01c2667477

I can't help but notice the light above the logo on the building is missing. I'll be ropeable if it is left out of any grand plans.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I can't help but notice the light above the logo on the building is missing. I'll be ropeable if it is left out of any grand plans.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
???? It'll be backlit these days.

Thought I would transfer some stuff from the AGM thread and the General AFL thread to this one as this one will survive, but the AGM thread will die a natural death. What has changed in 3 years since this thread was started??

1. Chinese state owned enterprise has pulled out of initial funding due to fall out between Beijing and Canberra starting in late 2017 well after the Shanghai game, when Turnbull quoted Mao back to the Chinese and pissed them off.

2. The local member and the man some deemed might be the Kingmaker, Mr X, both lost in the state election in March 2018, so backing the wrong horses meant no monies from the state government.

3. We have given up on KT's and Pauly V's PAACE idea of 2 part development ie I) the new admin building for the Aboriginal and all the other community programs staff and 2) the 50 person accommodation building for kids who participate in our programs out in the bush to have a place to live in Adelaide when they complete TAFE, University or private college education courses. Covid cuts and both KT and Pauly leaving last year has meant rearranged priorities. It isn't Richo's baby to raise.

4. We handed back the $4mil for the PAACE to the feds.

5. Despite KT saying there were no land tenure issues with building on the PA Bowling Club, there was going to be massive community fall out if it went ahead. Neither the club or council wanted to be involved in that s**t fight post Covid fallout, so the council has approved the new development and will financially back part funding of the new proposal.

6. We discovered that the feds are continuing to hand out $10-$15m grants to AFL clubs but only if they are associated with AFLW programs and community programs and not AFL club specific facilities like our high performance centre we proposed to build to the left of the entrance of the Alan Scott HQ building and where the grass area is and Lone Pine tree is planted.

From Lockhart Road's post #132 replying to Duck Farmer in the Virtual AGM thread

Duck Farmer said:
The indigenous centre of excellence was KT's baby. With him and Pauly V moving on, it's no surprise it's been shelved.
This is correct. KT was into it up to his eyebrows, especially in 2018 when he was under maximum pressure from the board for the Club finding itself bereft of a JMS to go with Oak.

March 2018 was when it came crashing down, and REH’s post just above with the then visual plan of KT’s precinct redevelopment have taken me back there.

KT and Andrew Hunter had just come back from Beijing where they had been given, they thought and with good reason, the nod by State Grid Corporation of China for a A$20 million grant, not loan, to build the new complex.
Then geopolitics stepped in.
This coincided with the state election, for which Labor and X pledged smaller amounts.
It was all shining bright, then the sun suddenly went out.

It was a great shame as State Grid were very keen. I kept up contact with them, fixed a meeting for Andrew H with their HK director in July 2018, but the Beijing / Canberra / Washington atmosphere had turned too toxic.

This proves what the Club could do back then, despite the odds against - basically persuade the PRC Govt. to fund the physical future of PAFC. You will recall Koch’s verbiage along this line at the time.

This proves what the Club can do.

Christine Zeitz adds to our board’s scope and flexibility, as well as its IQ.
Northrop Grumman will not, as things stand, be interested in our China Strategy, of course ... but what about Singapore, Japan, South Korea?
She is based, I see, in Canberra.

Grave Danger posted this article from the Sunday Mail in the general AFL thread. I have moved the order of the article around.

Port Adelaide pushing to receive government funding to begin revamp of Alberton Oval precinct
Port Adelaide has big plans to redevelop its home base at Alberton Oval – but the only thing stop, stop, stopping the Power is government grant support.

A “shovel ready” Port Adelaide is hopeful of starting a big redevelopment of its Alberton Oval precinct in June, providing the club gets an “even-handed” treatment from the Federal Government, chairman David Koch says.

It confirms we handed back the $4mil for the PAACE as we have ditched that proposal.

Port did have $4 million for a Centre for Aboriginal Excellence and Leadership at Alberton, but has given that money back after changing its plan for the precinct.

AFL Clubs who have been mixing up what they will use their new facilities for, have received government funding. I will dig up what each club has received over the last 5 years or so for mega facilities from governments and what has been confirmed the governments will fund.

An analysis of funding for facilities for AFL clubs from Federal and State Governments over the last five years by The Advertiser reveals the Power are the only club in the league not to receive grant support for either a new facility or upgrades.

“We are in fruitful discussions with the Federal Government to be treated with an even-handedness that they have supported other AFL clubs,” he said.

“What we are requesting is no different to how they have supported 14 other AFL clubs in redeveloping their facilities.

Last edited:
At post 34 of this thread I broke up the precinct development costs of up to $35mil in March 2018 into;

It includes:
• Construction of an Aboriginal Centre of Excellence
Costs up to $18m

These 5 Things cost up to $17m

• A new high performance centre
Facilities will include a new swimming pool, gymnasium

• Development of a secondary training and rehabilitation field
** Mr Koch said that as part of the development, Alberton Oval would be slightly realigned to enable vacant ground behind the oval to be incorporated into a secondary training field. **

• A new Port Club containing a visitor centre and museum
a function centre which will also be available to the local community

• Upgrades to the Fos Williams Family Stand.
while spectator amenities at the ground will be upgraded.

• Development of a Premiership Walk at the entry to the oval and facilities

The Sunday mail article today says;

Now costing between $18 million and $20 million, the proposal includes upgrading the change rooms in the Williams Family Stand for AFLW at Alberton Oval; expanding the high-performance facilities in the Allan Scott Headquarters for the men’s, women’s and SANFL team; creating two basketball courts for the West Adelaide Bearcats to use for their junior teams; and a FIFA standard soccer pitch that will be used as an additional training space for Power players, but also by the North West Junior Soccer Association after hours.

This is in addition to the renovations of the Port Club, including a new club museum and shop, and taking the Bob McLean sports bar and bistro upstairs to overlook Alberton Oval.

The Port Club developments will cost up to about $4mil based on stuff I have been told by a few club officials, but that is very dependent on how much funding they raise for stage 2 after doing up the downstairs part with the new stair case up to the new bar and dinning area upstairs.

So the original non PAACE component was $17mil in 2018 and now is up to about $24mil

Thought I would transfer some stuff from the AGM thread and the General AFL thread to this one as this one will survive, but the AGM thread will die a natural death. What has changed in 3 years since this thread was started??

1. Chinese state owned enterprise has pulled out of initial funding due to fall out between Beijing and Canberra starting in late 2017 well after the Shanghai game, when Turnbull quoted Mao back to the Chinese and pissed them off.

2. The local member and the man some deemed might be the Kingmaker, Mr X, both lost in the state election in March 2018, so backing the wrong horses meant no monies from the state government.

3. We have given up on KT's and Pauly V's PAACE idea of 2 part development ie I) the new admin building for the Aboriginal and all the other community programs staff and 2) the 50 person accommodation building for kids who participate in our programs out in the bush to have a place to live in Adelaide when they complete TAFE, University or private college education courses. Covid cuts and both KT and Pauly leaving last year has meant rearranged priorities. It isn't Richo's baby to raise.

4. We handed back the $4mil for the PAACE to the feds.

5. Despite KT saying there were no land tenure issues with building on the PA Bowling Club, there was going to be massive community fall out if it went ahead. Neither the club or council wanted to be involved in that sh*t fight post Covid fallout, so the council has approved the new development and will financially back part funding of the new proposal.

6. We discovered that the feds are continuing to hand out $10-$15m grants to AFL clubs but only if they are associated with AFLW programs and community programs and not AFL club specific facilities like our high performance centre we proposed to build to the left of the entrance of the Alan Scott HQ building and where the grass area is and Lone Pine tree is planted.

From Lockhart Road's post #132 replying to Duck Farmer in the Virtual AGM thread

This is correct. KT was into it up to his eyebrows, especially in 2018 when he was under maximum pressure from the board for the Club finding itself bereft of a JMS to go with Oak.

March 2018 was when it came crashing down, and REH’s post just above with the then visual plan of KT’s precinct redevelopment have taken me back there.

KT and Andrew Hunter had just come back from Beijing where they had been given, they thought and with good reason, the nod by State Grid Corporation of China for a A$20 million grant, not loan, to build the new complex.
Then geopolitics stepped in.
This coincided with the state election, for which Labor and X pledged smaller amounts.
It was all shining bright, then the sun suddenly went out.

It was a great shame as State Grid were very keen. I kept up contact with them, fixed a meeting for Andrew H with their HK director in July 2018, but the Beijing / Canberra / Washington atmosphere had turned too toxic.

This proves what the Club could do back then, despite the odds against - basically persuade the PRC Govt. to fund the physical future of PAFC. You will recall Koch’s verbiage along this line at the time.

This proves what the Club can do.

Christine Zeitz adds to our board’s scope and flexibility, as well as its IQ.
Northrop Grumman will not, as things stand, be interested in our China Strategy, of course ... but what about Singapore, Japan, South Korea?
She is based, I see, in Canberra.

Grave Danger posted this article from the Sunday Mail in the general AFL thread. I have moved the order of the article around.

Port Adelaide pushing to receive government funding to begin revamp of Alberton Oval precinct
Port Adelaide has big plans to redevelop its home base at Alberton Oval – but the only thing stop, stop, stopping the Power is government grant support.

A “shovel ready” Port Adelaide is hopeful of starting a big redevelopment of its Alberton Oval precinct in June, providing the club gets an “even-handed” treatment from the Federal Government, chairman David Koch says.

It confirms we handed back the $4mil for the PAACE as we have ditched that proposal.

Port did have $4 million for a Centre for Aboriginal Excellence and Leadership at Alberton, but has given that money back after changing its plan for the precinct.

AFL Clubs who have been mixing up what they will use their new facilities for, have received government funding. I will dig up what each club has received over the last 5 years or so for mega facilities from governments and what has been confirmed the governments will fund.

An analysis of funding for facilities for AFL clubs from Federal and State Governments over the last five years by The Advertiser reveals the Power are the only club in the league not to receive grant support for either a new facility or upgrades.

“We are in fruitful discussions with the Federal Government to be treated with an even-handedness that they have supported other AFL clubs,” he said.

“What we are requesting is no different to how they have supported 14 other AFL clubs in redeveloping their facilities.
Grrrr

mmm, so we're making it into a recreation center in order to get funding. Bit shabby, but I can see the benefits. The initial announcement and design on family day a few years ago was much more pure football/pafc focused.

We definitely backed the wrong horse re: China v AFLW however hindsight is always 20:20. Back then who would have predicted the geopolitical fractures/global pandemic basically halting our China bid whilst the feds looked at AFLW as a new sports-rort scheme.

Being in a strong Labor seat also means zero chance of pork barrelling so we are left with community engagement as the only lever left to pull to get gov monies, and without gov monies we dont get new facilities. If done well, and appropriate delineations within the complex are made between community/pro football, then I can actually see it as a massive boon not just for the club but the entire area.

It also allows the club to invite other pro sporting teams from around the country/globe to come train at our own complex and share knowledge etc which could also open commercial doors as well.

mmm, so we're making it into a recreation center in order to get funding. Bit shabby, but I can see the benefits. The initial announcement and design on family day a few years ago was much more pure football/pafc focused.
Difference between majority private vs majority public funding.

We definitely backed the wrong horse re: China v AFLW however hindsight is always 20:20. Back then who would have predicted the geopolitical fractures/global pandemic basically halting our China bid whilst the feds looked at AFLW as a new sports-rort scheme.

Being in a strong Labor seat also means zero chance of pork barrelling so we are left with community engagement as the only lever left to pull to get gov monies, and without gov monies we dont get new facilities. If done well, and appropriate delineations within the complex are made between community/pro football, then I can actually see it as a massive boon not just for the club but the entire area.

It also allows the club to invite other pro sporting teams from around the country/globe to come train at our own complex and share knowledge etc which could also open commercial doors as well.
For me, China and AFLW are two different "horse races". So, for me, there's no China v AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats fine, but the club has admitted to dropping AFLW for China. Remember signing Erin Phillips as one of our 'Christmas Presents'?

We didnt drop it, the AFL dropped it for us.

We didnt drop it, the AFL dropped it for us.

The AFL said there would only be one SA team at the beginning. The Crows acted and jumped into bed with the NT, effectively winning the bid with that move, whilst we put our energies into China. We had a chance, we chose not to fight.

Like I said, its all hindsight and at the time the China strategy was about shoring up our future, however if we had concentrated on AFLW we would have had federally funded facility upgrades already.

I always found that 'we're concentrating on China' line to be a bit glib. Organisations that turn over tens of millions a year should be able to have many different projects on the go, especially something as (relatively) minor as fielding an AFLW team. I think we missed the boat the first season and then badly misread the play by not realising how quickly the league would grow and expand. For there to be 14 of 18 teams with an AFLW team and us not be one of them is a bit embarrassing.

The AFL said there would only be one SA team at the beginning. The Crows acted and jumped into bed with the NT, effectively winning the bid with that move, whilst we put our energies into China. We had a chance, we chose not to fight.

Like I said, its all hindsight and at the time the China strategy was about shoring up our future, however if we had concentrated on AFLW we would have had federally funded facility upgrades already.

We were told it would be one team from SA and it wouldn't be us. There was no choice made on our side.

We wouldn't have several of our sponsors without China. Certainly one of majors.

AFLW has expanded far to quickly and now we're seeing games where teams fail to score goals and lopsided ladders. I'm happy for the league to work through its growing pains for a while before we go in.

I always found that 'we're concentrating on China' line to be a bit glib. Organisations that turn over tens of millions a year should be able to have many different projects on the go, especially something as (relatively) minor as fielding an AFLW team. I think we missed the boat the first season and then badly misread the play by not realising how quickly the league would grow and expand. For there to be 14 of 18 teams with an AFLW team and us not be one of them is a bit embarrassing.

We're in pretty exalted company with big important clubs like Essendon an Hawthorn not having teams, and I guess Sydney just can't afford to have Buddy and an AFLW team at the same time.

AFL wanted it to be AFLW Vic.
The Crows weren't even getting a team until they said they'd be an NT team as well, which of course they lied about.

Can't we concentrate on the Russian market?

Just introduce artillery and mob rule and we're good.

Hinkley looks a bit like a Cheap-As-Chips Putin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back