News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Except they gave NSW to GWS over the Swans and they gave WA to Fremantle over West Coast.
Sydney didn't make a bid for a licence. Don't know about WCE.

Nothing that can pull on the heartstrings as much pouring money into their favourite footy club.
I don't think you need to tell our state Libs that atm!

Apparently the automotive manufacturing industry used to be a big employer in Geelong.

View attachment 1062755
There was a Football Almanac article in 2019 that in February 2020 I copied into the Part 13 AFL general thread that listed what monies AFL and NRL clubs have or were receiving from governments. Most of the above monies are discussed in the link below. I added links to a an SMH articles and added some comments and the Footy Almanac author wrote a second article a few weeks later in 2019, which I copied and he discusses the 2019 election promises by both parties to all major sports.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I always found that 'we're concentrating on China' line to be a bit glib. Organisations that turn over tens of millions a year should be able to have many different projects on the go, especially something as (relatively) minor as fielding an AFLW team. I think we missed the boat the first season and then badly misread the play by not realising how quickly the league would grow and expand. For there to be 14 of 18 teams with an AFLW team and us not be one of them is a bit embarrassing.

of course they can, in my business we have 6 lines of services we develop and promote with more considered each year. If I can do it as a mere Accountant in the sticks of Modbury anyone can.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is just not true ... Check with the club. We were told the Crows would get the first licence. Regardless of that we did, they were always getting in first, and rightly so, as they were the first SA club, and at that stage were more financially stronger, and more more successful than us.

This clearly not true - Freo got the WA nod ahead of West Coast, as did GC and GWS over their rivals. We simply had committed to China and were financially unable to do both.

This clearly not true - Freo got the WA nod ahead of West Coast, as did GC and GWS over their rivals. We simply had committed to China and were financially unable to do both.

Maybe finances had something to do with it as well but the club was definitely told it wouldn't get the first SA AFLW licence

Sydney did not bid for a licence for 2017 season.

Maybe finances had something to do with it as well but the club was definitely told it wouldn't get the first SA AFLW licence
Correct.

Thinking back to my lunch with KT in HK in late February 2016:

1. Finances -
He had in his pocket, so to speak, Gui’s up-front bank draft for one million dollars.

2. Versus Crows -
PAFC had been told, flatly, by the AFL they had zero option re the AFLW licence for an SA team.

Let’s get real.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2. Versus Crows -
PAFC had been told, flatly, by the AFL they had zero option re the AFLW licence for an SA team.

Let’s get real.
The Crows were told the exact same thing. We accepted it, the Crows called bullshit on the AFL's call and did the work to create one. This was not the AFL saying the Crows would get the licence, this was the AFL saying there would be no SA licence.

The Crows were told the exact same thing. We accepted it, the Crows called bullshit on the AFL's call and did the work to create one. This was not the AFL saying the Crows would get the licence, this was the AFL saying there would be no SA licence.
Correct, because the standard and number of female players in SA was so poor, because unlike other state, as I just finished writing in the AFLW thread, the SANFL put no resources into women's footy like other state footy associations.

The clincher for the crows was they stitched up the NT women. The AFL only wanted 6 teams to start. The crows signing up the NT women meant their footprint spread and they would have to have an 8th team ie another one from Victoria and we know how much the AFL love Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who pays for any development when we are piles of debt?
* Government grants - all 3 levels
* Benefactors who have stood on the sideline
* Sponsors, ask for specific contributions, maybe sell naming rights to the facility
* Australian Sports Foundation - tax deductible projects ie buy a paving brick for $200 and get a tax deduction
* Win premierships and make back to back grand finals and get that kick in additional revenue streams

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Correct, because the standard and number of female players in SA was so poor, because unlike other state, as I just finished writing in the AFLW thread, the SANFL put no resources into women's footy like other state footy associations.

The clincher for the crows was they stitched up the NT women. The AFL only wanted 6 teams to start. The crows signing up the NT women meant their footprint spread and they would have to have an 8th team ie another one from Victoria and we know how much the AFL love Victoria.
You mean to say the SANFL had no foresight for the future? Where have I seen that before?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
* Government grants - all 3 levels
* Benefactors who have stood on the sideline
* Sponsors, ask for specific contributions, maybe sell naming rights to the facility
* Australian Sports Foundation - tax deductible projects ie buy a paving brick for $200 and get a tax deduction
* Win premierships and make back to back grand finals and get that kick in additional revenue streams

Imagine a world where we paid of our debt with the Gov grant instead continuing down the rabbit hole.

Imagine a world where we paid of our debt with the Gov grant instead continuing down the rabbit hole.
???

When would government give you grants to pay off debt? We are in a position where we have to find monies to a) run the club and be profitable b) pay off debt and c) build new stuff.

If we had only $3m debt we could go and borrow $5m to help with a) and c), but we are not there.

That's why making multiple GF's and winning flags is so important.

Make a GF or win a flag in year 1 and you get a surge in new income late in year 1 and in year 2. Make back to back GF's and win one or two flags and you get a a surge in new income late in year 1, in year 2 and year 3.

So if you do a Brisbane or Hawthorn and play in 4 GF's in a row or like Geelong and play in 4 in 5 years or like Richmond and 3 in 4 years, and throw in a few premierships, you get a super surge over a 5 year period.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
???

When would government give you grants to pay off debt? We are in a position where we have to find monies to a) run the club and be profitable b) pay off debt and c) build new stuff.

If we had only $3m debt we could go and borrow $5m to help with a) and c), but we are not there.

That's why making multiple GF's and winning flags is so important.

Make a GF or win a flag in year 1 and you get a surge in new income late in year 1 and in year 2. Make back to back GF's and win one or two flags and you get a a surge in new income late in year 1, in year 2 and year 3.

So if you do a Brisbane or Hawthorn and play in 4 GF's in a row or like Geelong and play in 4 in 5 years or like Richmond and 3 in 4 years, and throw in a few premierships, you get a super surge over a 5 year period.
Let’s Do It !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back