News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it, with all the members, sponsorship and dollars we generate we are still in debt, this won't change that.

It absolutely will - having a sporting community based at Alberton all of a sudden has the Port Club turning over more, people that are fence sitters becoming paid up members and even converting the great unwashed because their kids/grand kids/friends play basketball/soccer at Alberton in the 'Port Adelaide Football Club' facilities.

Blue sky thinking! It's funny how you can be in a pile of debt yet look over here, a Gov Grant to build things.....

They’re two separate things.

The debt we had pre-COVID was for a range of things and was being serviced.

The increase of the debt post-COVID was to keep the club afloat, much like every other club in the league.

Accessing a grant to develop the Alberton precinct allows us to expand the functionality of the facility as well as increase revenue, and reduce operating costs, of the Port Club.

This clearly not true - Freo got the WA nod ahead of West Coast, as did GC and GWS over their rivals. We simply had committed to China and were financially unable to do both.
The Crows committing to play games in the NT and their alignment to NT womens league got them over the line. once they announced that we PAFC pulled our proposal.

i thought we all knew the club focused on china instead of AFLW because it was a better option? where is all this talk coming from

i thought we all knew the club focused on china instead of AFLW because it was a better option? where is all this talk coming from

Not my recollection.

The club had every intention of getting an AFLW team.

The claim that they decided to focus on China was spin to hide the fact we were told no by our 'owners'.

The club had every intention of getting an AFLW team.

where did we get this idea? the tone of conversation around it always seemed to be that it was a secondary thing to China which was the bigger focus. particularly at the 2019? AGM where I'm sure it was mentioned that we wouldn't be looking at that until a gap opened up in 2022 or something, the AFL knew full well from the start who would be staggered in and when, by my recollection, but anyway who cares, China was a far more lucrative and better option for us at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Council owns most of the land, really ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
16. COMMITMENTS FOR EXPENDITURE
Estimated capital expenditure contracted for at reporting
date, but not provided for, payable:......................................................................... 2019... 2018
Within one year ........................................................................................................- ...... -

Operating lease commitments - Group as a lessee
The Group entered into commercial leases on Alberton Oval and the staff car park. These leases have an average life of between 10 to 20 years with renewal options included in the contracts. There are no restrictions placed upon the lessee by entering into these leases. In addition there is a commercial lease at the Prince o f Wales for an initial 5 year term with 5 by 5 year renewals available. In2016 the Group committed to a further 5 years.

where did we get this idea? the tone of conversation around it always seemed to be that it was a secondary thing to China which was the bigger focus. particularly at the 2019? AGM where I'm sure it was mentioned that we wouldn't be looking at that until a gap opened up in 2022 or something, the AFL knew full well from the start who would be staggered in and when, by my recollection, but anyway who cares, China was a far more lucrative and better option for us at the time.

You don’t ‘sign’ Erin Phillips if you never had any intention of going for an AFLW team.

Everything you recollect above is accurate but it occurred afterwards.

You don’t ‘sign’ Erin Phillips if you never had any intention of going for an AFLW team.

Everything you recollect above is accurate but it occurred afterwards.
It was more marketing BS than real intention. It was in the middle of the 5 signings of Christmas fluff, the AFL had just announced they would let women from other sports participate in any potential comp, but there was no real plan or structure, how big, how many teams, how many $$$ would be needed, when it would be played etc. So yeah in December 2015 we said we'll look at being part of that, but 6 months later we didn't even lodge a bid for a team because it was unrealistic.

This is the long story announcing Erin's signing just before Christmas 2015. Middle of the story Chris Davies talks about a Port women's team. These aren't the words of someone who is desperate to make sure we would get in.

In making the announcement on Wednesday, Port Adelaide also affirmed its commitment to working collaboratively with women’s football in South Australia to develop girls and female football in the state.

Port Adelaide’s head of football Chris Davies says the form of the club’s involvement in female football will be directed by the AFL and local women’s competitions.

“The AFL announced only yesterday their intention to attract athletes from other sports to widen the talent base for the national women’s competition, and we’re delighted to have Erin declare her intention to be involved through her passion for the Port Adelaide Football Club,”
Davies told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“While we’re focussed on our potential involvement in the national elite competition, we are acutely aware of the need to provide a foundation for the future of the game.

“We’re very enthusiastic about working in a complementary way with the AFL, the local Adelaide Football League and the SANFL in driving participation in the game in South Australia.”

Port Adelaide will look at options to develop an elite talent academy program in 2016 – similar to its successful Aboriginal AFL Academy – which will allow talented women and girls to train and further develop their skills with the Power, additional to their training and playing duties at local clubs.

“There’s no doubt that from a talent perspective, an academy program similar to our existing Aboriginal AFL Academy will help fast-track the development of female footballers in SA,” Davies said. “Those involved would train in an elite environment with elite coaches at Port Adelaide and could then use that experience to benefit their local clubs and strengthen the quality of their competitions. “We’re committed to the commencement of such a program in 2016.”

Missing out on Erin Phillips playing for our AFLW side is the most criminal part for me.

Professional sport is star driven, and we could have had the biggest star and best player in the league who was also a dyed in the wool Port Adelaide person, and instead we handballed that to the Crows, complete with one of our greatest legends wearing a Crows polo on the sidelines to support his daughter.

I get that we had China going on and the Crows did a deal with the NT and yada yada yada. The opportunity cost of not making it happen is pretty significant given there's every chance Erin gets a medal named after her in this league.

Missing out on AFLW annoys me because our biggest point of difference is that we're an old established club and community and I think we should have gone hard at extending that to a women's team as early as possible, but that'll ultimately pale into significance long term to a Port player eventually winning the Phillips Medal, named after the Crows legend.

Missing out on Erin Phillips playing for our AFLW side is the most criminal part for me.

Professional sport is star driven, and we could have had the biggest star and best player in the league who was also a dyed in the wool Port Adelaide person, and instead we handballed that to the Crows, complete with one of our greatest legends wearing a Crows polo on the sidelines to support his daughter.

I get that we had China going on and the Crows did a deal with the NT and yada yada yada. The opportunity cost of not making it happen is pretty significant given there's every chance Erin gets a medal named after her in this league.

Missing out on AFLW annoys me because our biggest point of difference is that we're an old established club and community and I think we should have gone hard at extending that to a women's team as early as possible, but that'll ultimately pale into significance long term to a Port player eventually winning the Phillips Medal, named after the Crows legend.
All very true and all very annoying.

But if Gui turns up and watches us play a game in September 2016 and not September 2015, does the AFL give us an AFLW licence in mid/late 2016 for the 2017 season. I don't think so, unless we beat the crows to NT.

You don’t see an advantage in not losing face with your supporters?

No because I don't see it that way.

Instead of letting people know that the situation was in the hands of the AFL who already tell us what to do on any number of issues, we instead just looked like we managed the whole thing poorly and backed the wrong horse. I'm not seeing how thats a better outcome.

All very true and all very annoying.

But if Gui turns up and watches us play a game in September 2016 and not September 2015, does the AFL give us an AFLW licence in mid/late 2016 for the 2017 season. I don't think so, unless we beat the crows to NT.

Possibly, but we've also been pretty good in this era in going out and getting stuff done while the Crows rest on their laurels. If we'd gone all out I think we certainly could have beaten them to it, much like Freo and GWS beat their local rivals to the punch.

Possibly, but we've also been pretty good in this era in going out and getting stuff done while the Crows rest on their laurels. If we'd gone all out I think we certainly could have beaten them to it, much like Freo and GWS beat their local rivals to the punch.
Freo beat WCE, but GWS didn't beat Sydney as the Swans didn't bid for an AFL licence.

They knew they didn't have the infrastructure at the SCG to set up an AFLW team. That's why in 2019 they got funding to set up next door in the old showgrounds site as part of a joint sports set up with Netball NSW Swifts and a few community groups.

GWS had plenty of space and facilities at Sydney Olympic Park plus Netball NSW set up the Giants Netball and aligned them with GWS and are based at Sydney Olympic Park, using the facilities out there and playing at the Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre.

When we get in, if she wants it, we need to do whatever it takes to make sure she's our inaugural coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back