News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no way this guy doesn't smell like baked beans.
I've heard this Twot live on radio a couple of times. There's something there that's not right with this person.

He's obviously young, but comes across as an educated bogan from the early 80's that doesn't mind laying in his own spew because he drank half a bottle of Bundy too fast, and thinks he's tough because someone told him that's what happens, but he probably would never do it himself.

He's neither here nor there. He's as controversial as a butterfly shitting on a piece of dog s**t. Weird individual.

I've heard this Twot live on radio a couple of times. There's something there that's not right with this person.

He's obviously young, but comes across as an educated bogan from the early 80's that doesn't mind laying in his own spew because he drank half a bottle of Bundy too fast, and thinks he's tough because someone told him that's what happens, but he probably would never do it himself.

He's neither here nor there. He's as controversial as a butterfly shitting on a piece of dog sh*t. Weird individual.

He's a libturd

Surprise, surprise. C7 giving them airtime

I've never understood why the media gives these type of w***ers a platform? It just eggs them on, and makes them think they're more important then anyone else which they aren't.

They're as bad as the residents in WA who complained about the noise from Subiaco Oval from the footy and concerts being played there, then had a huge sook about their house value dropping when footy in WA moved to Optus Stadium. They just do it for attention, if the media gave them none then it wouldn't be a issue.

I've never understood why the media gives these type of w***ers a platform? It just eggs them on, and makes them think they're more important then anyone else which they aren't.

They're as bad as the residents in WA who complained about the noise from Subiaco Oval from the footy and concerts being played there, then had a huge sook about their house value dropping when footy in WA moved to Optus Stadium. They just do it for attention, if the media gave them none then it wouldn't be a issue.

Just the C7 Ambassadors doing their job. Elspeth and Theo probably door knocked whilst Smitho rummaged through the bins to get a bit of dirt on the occupants.

i love the fact that majority of the signs around the oval saying stop it are not even in the portenf council area they are charles sturt council ratepayers

Just 724 signatures in a few weeks.

I'm guessing about 7 of those have actually ever spent any time in the "park" and about 10 more live within walking distance of the football club.
id say even less as i cant say ive ever seen more than 3 people at that park n a year

I did like this bit.

The Club has ensured that all plans are compliant with the existing approved use of the precinct, and there is no change of land use or ownership involved in this proposal.

Targetting those numpties opposing the development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pembo has written an article attacking the Alberton redevelopment protesters and some generally over the top protests going on. Here is the relevant bit that relates to Alberton.

Its why Richo wrote his CEO's letter last night and asked for our help. I'll address that in a separate post.

I have no real burning passion for or against the redeveloped Alberton sports complex, and I am not about to use it as an easy vehicle for some cheap trolling of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Clearly, a number of locals have issues with it.

While I struggle to see how the noise generated by young people attending soccer training can be life-changingly bad, the scale of the project is clearly bigger than some locals were led to believe.

But again, this isn’t a nuclear power plant we are talking about. And as someone who lives within spitting distance of the Adelaide Showground, where more and more events have been held over recent years, I’d figure that a bit of noise and traffic – all of it generated by people having a nice time – is a bearable adjunct to life in a medium-sized city like ours.

The reason I mention the Alberton development is that there was a sign erected by one of the neighbours this week that itself serves as the perfect sign for our times. Draped out the front of a house near the Port club headquarters, the sign read: #OurLivesMatter.

I mean, of all the innocuous things to complain about. Yet in this chap’s mind, this was potentially the biggest environmental disaster since the Exxon Valdez came to grief on a reef in Alaska. And more’s the point, he seemed to believe his anger at the project was not an example of community self-interest, but community-mindedness.

With an old sheet and some spray paint, the authors of Alberton’s #OurLivesMatter sign writ large the loss of perspective that marks our age. Perhaps there is a kind of existential emptiness that comes with affluence – by affluence I mean the general affluence that exists across almost every social strata in the West versus the poor sods who are still doing it genuinely tough in the developing world.

Of course all lives matter, be they that of George Floyd or the people at Alberton who are upset about the soccer club. The manner in which they matter varies greatly depending on the circumstances they find themselves in.

The soccer club, while annoying, does not strike me as a matter of life and death. Santos is the not the Ku Klux Klan, and while I know little about Gandhi, I think he had more on his plate than the people smearing Aquadhere over the rear of their happy pants on Flinders Street.

It's the most nothing park in the history of nothing parks, and it's being replaced by sporting facilities that the community will have access to.

This opposition to it is so embarrassingly transparent. I wonder how many people told Caleb Bond to fu** off before he drummed up a dozen people within a 500m radius who would pose in a photo for him.

Emphasis on this. Holy *, I cannot state enough how important it is to get children organised and involved in physical activity. The lack of movement and physical activity in the younger generation is an enormous concern and the benefits for children cannot be understated - digital technology and sedentary activities have quickly become the 'default' state for many, many children and the skills, resilience and learning that children get through play don't occur. The facilities that will be put in place will help tackle this problem.

This isn't some boomer complaining about 'dem kids'. This is a very serious concern and I see the ramifications (children with little resilience, needing constant stimuli and consequently exhibiting STRONG adhd symptoms but not actually having ADHD, children needing significant scaffolding with play with others, children with below average gross motor skills, children with increasing anxiety, so so so many things).

Source: Am a teacher in the early years.

Also, things like soccer clubs bring a strong sense of community and belonging to the local area and Port intend on making part of this redevelopment as open green space for the community.

I'm aware that I'm irrationally angry about this but this is the kind of thing we really need to be seeing more in modern society. Sense of community and belonging has been eroding - many people used to source it through things like church, sporting clubs or even that children more commonly played outside in the community. The issue is that there's substantial evidence of the importance for this in-person communication for people to not feel isolated and to feel supported. At the end of the day all we are is somewhat advanced chimps and we have some very basic social needs that just aren't fulfilled by the use of social media for communication.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back