News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Will we be operating the basketball stadium and soccer pitch or are they for the council to run? Nice little earner if we are.
My understanding is that Port are in control of all the arrangements with West Adelaide Basketball Club and North West Junior Soccer Association. I reckon the club will charge them fees to cover maintenance costs and not much more than that, and look at making some $$$ from attendees spending money at The Port Club after games, maybe at food and beverage vending machines inside the building or maybe temporary food and beverage stalls on Saturday mornings for soccer games.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
My understanding is that Port are in control of all the arrangements with West Adelaide Basketball Club and North West Junior Soccer Association. I reckon the club will charge them fees to cover maintenance costs and not much more than that, and look at making some $$$ from attendees spending money at The Port Club after games, maybe at food and beverage vending machines inside the building or maybe temporary food and beverage stalls on Saturday mornings for soccer games.
I know what the council charge the club I run for cricket pitches is a good earner for them. Basketball is another level with the amount they charge for people just to watch an under 10 kid.

The SMA will probably demand we cease and desist anything like that.

chrisso crow

All Australian
Jul 27, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NA Roosters

Sorry for the intrusion, but I've been keeping an eye on this (from a long distance though) as my family is involved with WABC (hence I voted yes for the proposal), but what are Port getting out of this?

Wasn't it meant to be for extending your training facilities, but the extension is for basketball courts and a soccer pitch?

BTW, as far as I know WABC will only be using it for training purposes as it won't be Basketball SA approved for matches, unless they use it for non-Basketball SA games, but I'm not full bottle with this.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
The SMA will probably demand we cease and desist anything like that.
Yeah the croquet club is part of the "SMA precinct", as defined by the SANFL and SACA memorandum drafted when they took ownership of AO.

PAFC will have to pay AOSMA $250k per year licencing fee if we make any money from beverage and food sales at the clubrooms.

SA local rule 3.5.118 (g) paragraph 3, "Suckitup Power" clause (refer L Whicker and M Basheer co-authors).

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Sorry for the intrusion, but I've been keeping an eye on this (from a long distance though) as my family is involved with WABC (hence I voted yes for the proposal), but what are Port getting out of this?

Wasn't it meant to be for extending your training facilities, but the extension is for basketball courts and a soccer pitch?

BTW, as far as I know WABC will only be using it for training purposes as it won't be Basketball SA approved for matches, unless they use it for non-Basketball SA games, but I'm not full bottle with this.

The 'community' aspects of the upgrade open up more avenues for funding outside of pro sports team wants flashy new house. The indoor courts and soccer pitch allow for indoor training for the club + give an area for injured/rehab players to train away from the main group with space to move outside of the single oval we have now.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Nice negative spin from ABC Adelaide's social media account - building will go ahead. 'if they can find the money (wink wink)'.

And a pathetic interview with faux outrage from residents stating there was no consultation.

Meanwhile, SA Treasurer and anti-Port front man Rob Lucas quietly approves that the building on the Festival Theatre site on King William Street will be increased to 29 stories (just 2 less than Westpac House, formerly the State Bank Building) with no transparent planning approval processes.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...e/news-story/73060f4b2040a504596a168b1c1cfaeb. (sorry about the paywall)

Last edited:

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
So we're losing the peppercorn lease arrangement on the land at Alberton, as well as a $100k asset?

Sounds amazing.
I shouldn't laugh but seriously I was more than wondering what I was happy about last night then REH put things into perspective.

Time to resume grovelling for the dollars. Kochie this is where you earn your stripes.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That was what I gathered from the bits of last night's meeting I listened to, it's essentially an extended training space for their ~90 (I think that's what they said) teams

I went to the council website to see if the minutes were up - they aren't.

Found these 2 documents.

First the 19 page Council Assessment Panel Report that was debated and approved on 27th October. There are some technical details about the proposal listed in there as well as how and what times the new facilities will be used. The height of the new buildings will be 12.8 metres but the top of the air conditioning units are at 14.5m but the way i see it they will only be on 1 of the 3 buildings. The single storey houses profile fronting Seventh Avenue is 3.7 metres in height. This is how the guy speaking against it last night said it would be a 4 story building.

This is where the - "92 representations were received during the period of notification, 22 are in support and 70 are opposed. 16 representors wish to be heard.'

The second document is the 9-November-2021 Agenda and Reports for Ordinary Council Meeting.

This is a whopping 968 pages. So most councillors would have walked in with 2 or 3 folders under their arms, and if they are diligent would have read all the material in them. As there was a lot a more business other than just the Alberton Oval precinct redevelopment, its why its so big, but over 1/3rd of it relates to this matter.

Page 326 starts the Port section with 12.2.11 Alberton Oval Precinct Consultation Feedback
It has an 8 page council report summing up the feedback council got and at pages 334-516 it has a printout of all 1,381 submissions via the council website. This is what councillor Vines said he read in full and everyone's submission and he said to those who were nasty and bullying the council he said get stuffed. He is from the Port Adelaide ward which covers Alberton Oval and voted against both proposals. Pages 517-626 have the written submissions, letters, other correspondence including Port's , media articles, and council correspondence and assessment documents.
Attachments
1. Feedback received during the period of community engagement (including sub-attachments A to X) [12.2.11.1 - 283 pages]
2. Mail Out Zone Map [12.2.11.2 - 1 page]
3. City of Charles Sturt Mayoral Correspondence [12.2.11.3 - 2 pages]
4. Outgoing Letter - Alberton Oval Community Engagement [12.2.11.4 - 6 pages]

Page 627 is 12.2.12 Alberton Oval Community Land Management Plan section
Pages 627-631 has the council report and then the attachments start and go to pages 637.
Attachments
1. Alberton Oval Community Land Management Plan [12.2.12.1 - 6 pages]

Page 638 is 12.2.13 Alberton Oval Tenure - re the lease and Options A and B are to page 640, then page 641-657 is a council report on history of discussion between Port and the council about a redevelopment of east side of the oval going back to 2010. Then there are attachments 1 page has the Alberton Oval map and then 15 pages of Port's Development Proposal Plans and Images by their architects Hames Sharley.
Attachments
1. Alberton Oval Map [12.2.13.1 - 1 page]
2. Development Proposal Plans and Images [12.2.13.2 - 15 pages]

Who would be a bloody councillor if every month you are supposed to read and understand 600-900 pages of documents - and you have to deal with the public all the time.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I shouldn't laugh but seriously I was more than wondering what I was happy about last night then REH put things into perspective.

Time to resume grovelling for the dollars. Kochie this is where you earn your stripes.
If Kochie promised to donate $10 for every dollar our supporters donate we could be on a winner.

Port's total building area will increase, plus the area for basketball courts. From the architects specs the current offices and indoor facility take up 2765.9 m², the new extensions means Port will have exclusive use to 3042.9 m²( with an indoor training facility of 1104 m² - Size Matches Existing Footprint) and the shared community facility ie 2 basketball court areas (1143 m²) and other spaces (changerooms, lockers, storeroom, toilets etc) all together taking up 1335.7 m².

Port will use the soccer fields and basketball court areas between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday and the community sports groups will get to use them outside those hours. If you make a space available to the community when you don't need it, then its easier to get council approval and government funding. A bit of reciprocal externalities.

As per the 19 page Council Assessment Panel report I linked above.

Hours of Operation
The hours of operation associated with the current use of the site by the PAFC will not change. In
this respect, the applicant has indicated that the proposed basketball courts will be utilised by
PAFC on most weekdays between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm. Outside these hours, the
courts will be made available as a training facility (not for games) for the West Adelaide Bearcats
on three nights per week during basketball season
between the hours of 5:30pm and 9:00pm.

The soccer pitch will also be used by the PAFC on most weekdays between the hours of 8:30am
and 5:00pm. This pitch will be made available for junior soccer via the primary school soccer
competition generally on Saturday mornings in the second and third school terms between the
hours of 9:00am and 12:00pm with occasional weeknight use to 7:30pm.

These hours of operation do not appear excessive and would be consistent with the hours of
operation within other Recreation Zones.

Last edited:
Nice negative spin from ABC Adelaide's social media account - building will go ahead. 'if they can find the money (wink wink)'.

And a pathetic interview with faux outrage from residents stating there was no consultation.

Meanwhile, SA Treasurer and anti-Port front man Rob Lucas quietly approves that the building on the Festival Theatre site on King William Street will be increased to 29 stories (just 2 less than Westpac House, formerly the State Bank Building) with no transparent planning approval processes.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...e/news-story/73060f4b2040a504596a168b1c1cfaeb. (sorry about the paywall)

From that I got;

1. The mayor undersold the change to the $1 a year rent, as Port have agreed to look at donating back land to the council, and or paying rent and will also will consider giving back to the council the land and improvements on EP Nazar Reserve in Ethelton, but made it clear we have the green light to redevelop.

2. Richo confirmed several things.
A. We have secured most of the funding - there's a final commitment from the federal government ie the $15m from them isn't signed sealed and delivered, but when it is, there wont be a big gap left.

B. Start working on the redevelopment early next year

C. Fos Williams (family) grandstand change rooms start work next week. (I assume nothing happening re machinery and noise on Tuesday morning for Russell's funeral). That's a $2mil project for AFLW.

D. Expects Port Club to open late February / March next year. That's a $5m project. If that is all or mainly donations from wealthy benefactors, we are going to show a decent profit for 2021 as well as 2022.

3. Peter only believes consultation happens when the council and Port change things to what he wants. Community consultation meetings aren't consultation, according to him.

Last edited:
A couple of times I have written 3 buildings, but its actually one huge building with 3 panel facades on both the eastern and western sides and 3 sloped roofs or sawtooth roofs as shown in the specs.

Total building area is the indoor training facility of 1104 m², which is the same size as the existing footprint and the 2 basketball court areas and other spaces take up 1335.7 m², so just under 2,440 m², which would be about 60 m x 41 m given the building is about as wide as the grass area covering the 55m wide soccer pitch and a few metres run off area either side of the pitch. They don't line up as the pitch goes right to the footpath but the building is set back about 6m from the footpath.

The sawtooth design means that you can allow natural light in and have glass panels or some sort of modern material, maybe ETFE translucent panels they use on modern stadium roofs, so you might have 2m high sheets across the 60m width of the building and that is repeated across all 3 roofs. The roofs slope down from south to north, so you don't get the really hot northern sun in summer time streaming thru the panels and heating the place up excessively, and so the club saves on lighting and air conditioning power costs.

The EP Nazar Reserve land at Ethelton hand back to the council proposal does have some issues meaning the club losses a bit. There still is some benefit to having that, as some day we might have a national reserves team and a SANFL team and junior teams and what happens if AFLW becomes a 20+ week comp and clash of training needs with the men?

But maybe there is a win-win trade off. Alberton Oval is basically AO dimensions a few metres longer (maybe 5m) and wider (maybe 5m). That reserve is a couple of ovals and would be large enough to develop an east-west running MCG sized 160m long and 140m wide oval, that we could train on and set up for the week leading up to when we play at the MCG.

Ask the council to improve the landscaping and grass quality of that area and put a small picket fence around it like Karen Rolton oval so that when players train they get depth perspective of where they are, and not get lost compared to just having oval boundary markings.

I hope the club throws that into the discussions re rent and land transference of Nazar Reserve.

Richo was on AA tonight and was asked about the $30mil cost. He said we won't be borrowing any monies for it. The $30mil is for the whole precinct not just the building, soccer pitch and landscaping and new car park area costs.

So its $2mil from the state government for the Williams Family Stand upgrade for AFLW, $5mil for The Port Club and Quinn Stand redevelopment which has been mainly paid for by wealthy benefactors, at least $15mil from the feds which hasn't been locked in, might be a bit more than the $15m they have given/pledged to most AFL clubs, and upto $8mil from wealthy benefactors, corporates and I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian Sports Foundation eligible projects tax deduction drive from the average members and fans might raise part of that $8mil, say $2mil.

Last edited:
A couple of times I have written 3 buildings, but its actually one huge building with 3 panel facades on both the eastern and western sides and 3 sloped roofs or sawtooth roofs as shown in the specs.

Total building area is the indoor training facility of 1104 m², which is the same size as the existing footprint and the 2 basketball court areas and other spaces take up 1335.7 m², so just under 2,440 m², which would be about 60 m x 41 m given the building is about as wide as the grass area covering the 55m wide soccer pitch and a few metres run off area either side of the pitch. They don't line up as the pitch goes right to the footpath but the building is set back about 6m from the footpath.

The sawtooth design means that you can allow natural light in and have glass panels or some sort of modern material, maybe ETFE translucent panels they use on modern stadium roofs, so you might have 2m high sheets across the 60m width of the building and that is repeated across all 3 roofs. The roofs slope down from south to north, so you don't get the really hot northern sun in summer time streaming thru the panels and heating the place up excessively, and so the club saves on lighting and air conditioning power costs.

The EP Nazar Reserve land at Ethelton hand back to the council proposal does have some issues meaning the club losses a bit. There still is some benefit to having that, as some day we might have a national reserves team and a SANFL team and junior teams and what happens if AFLW becomes a 20+ week comp and clash of training needs with the men?

But maybe there is a win-win trade off. Alberton Oval is basically AO dimensions a few metres longer (maybe 5m) and wider (maybe 5m). That reserve is a couple of ovals and would be large enough to develop an east-west running MCG sized 160m long and 140m wide oval, that we could train on and set up for the week leading up to when we play at the MCG.

Ask the council to improve the landscaping and grass quality of that area and put a small picket fence around it like Karen Rolton oval so that when players train they get depth perspective of where they are, and not get lost compared to just having oval boundary markings.

I hope the club throws that into the discussions re rent and land transference of Nazar Reserve.

Richo was on AA tonight and was asked about the $30mil cost. He said we won't be borrowing any monies for it. The $30mil is for the whole precinct not just the building, soccer pitch and landscaping and new car park area costs.

So its $2mil from the state government for the Williams Family Stand upgrade for AFLW, $5mil for The Port Club and Quinn Stand redevelopment which has been mainly paid for by wealthy benefactors, at least $15mil from the feds which hasn't been locked in, might be a bit more than the $15m they have given/pledged to most AFL clubs, and upto $8mil from wealthy benefactors, corporates and I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian Sports Foundation eligible projects tax deduction drive from the average members and fans might raise part of that $8mil, say $2mil.
I have to say, I really appreciate your summarising and clarifying!

Last edited:

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From what I’ve been reading, our training facilities are bottom 2-3 in the league ? I thought this would have been our priority in the redevelopment ? Am I missing something ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I’ve been reading, our training facilities are bottom 2-3 in the league ? I thought this would have been our priority in the redevelopment ? Am I missing something ?

Specifically what is bottom 2 or 3 in your opinion?? What do you think is being added to from this proposal?

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you put out the list, which was best & worst training facilities. Crows were bottom from memory.

Yep sure looks like it
15B168AC-4F35-459C-B224-F9B2A2147417.jpeg

I think you put out the list, which was best & worst training facilities. Crows were bottom from memory.

By worst it means the oldest buildings. A facility is a building. We are getting a new building with an indoor training space.

Nobody knows exactly what is inside everyone of the 18 buildings to benchmark who has the best equipment.

You would think building a new building, means new equipment is added as part of the funding proposal put to governments.

This is the post where I tried to reconcile Richo's claim of being in the bottom 2 for training facilities. You will note I only talk about new buildings not new equipment.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
By worst it means the oldest buildings. A facility is a building. We are getting a new building with an indoor training space.

Nobody knows exactly what is inside everyone of the 18 buildings to benchmark who has the best equipment.

You would think building a new building, means new equipment is added as part of the funding proposal put to governments.

This is the post where I tried to reconcile Richo's claim of being in the bottom 2 for training facilities. You will note I only talk about new buildings not new equipment.

Cheers for clearing that up.

Back