News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for clearing that up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just remembered that upgraded facilities means not just new buildings, but sometimes a new oval and/or a second oval to train on - Essendon and WCE have 2, and Gold Coast got a second oval to train on next to Metricon stadium. Brisbane is getting two ovals. Hawthorn were planning for a second oval at Dingley.

Freo, Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Richmond, North, Sydney and GWS, don't have a second oval but Freo and GWS got new ovals and some of the others got upgrades.

Melbourne have moved their base to Casey Fields which is a multi-sports complex run by the council and I think there are a couple of footy ovals there. I know there are half a dozen soccer pitches there. Most Vic clubs primary oval is close to MCG size, except for Geelong and Bulldogs.

The crows are looking at one oval at Brompton and there is space to build a second oval or training space at Thebby.

We have gone for a 2nd training field, the soccer pitch for players in rehab and/or modified programs who will train away from the rest of the main group. We didn't have the space for an oval, and the junior soccer pitch allows to apply for community facilities funding from governments.

My dream is to magically get multiple $mill to buy all the real estate to the east of the club up to the railway line, and build a second full size oval there, complete with stands, change rooms, cafeteria, lights, etc. :thumbsu: ;)

Just trying to fathom out how to get $50mill in our hands.
Shouldn't be that hard to organise :cool::think:o_O

My dream is to magically get multiple $mill to buy all the real estate to the east of the club up to the railway line, and build a second full size oval there, complete with stands, change rooms, cafeteria, lights, etc. :thumbsu: ;)

And the rest. You are looking at buying about 30 properties, demolition costs, then construction costs.

I'd be satisfied just being able to buy the ring leader's house, bulldozing it and turning it into a dog park

On the subject of disputes between neighbours there is a famous case in San Francisco's history of a single owner refusing to sell his property to a rich tycoon on the city's Nob Hill.

The tycoon then surrounded the man's property with a 40 foot high fence, blocking out all light. They called it a spite fence.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.25.16 am.png

It's a true story of a little guy holding out the all powerful rich guy on a principle and, while it's off topic, it's worth a read:

I'll be praying you win power ball M8 👌👍

After Russell's funeral, I caught up with a few people and went and had a beer in the Port Club with a mate I hadn't seen for a year or more. When I came out, the oval had emptied so I went up the Quinn Stand to have a look at the redevelopment there.

The back 4 rows have been removed and a deck is about 1/3rd completed, all the way along the stand. There will be tables for eating and drinking during the week. Will be interesting to see what the set up is during a Magpies and an AFLW game.

Had a look inside the window and there is still a hell of a lot of work to be done to finish inside, to turn that area into what the specs and renders show it will look like.

After Russell's funeral, I caught up with a few people and went and had a beer in the Port Club with a mate I hadn't seen for a year or more. When I came out, the oval had emptied so I went up the Quinn Stand to have a look at the redevelopment there.

The back 4 rows have been removed and a deck is about 1/3rd completed, all the way along the stand. There will be tables for eating and drinking during the week. Will be interesting to see what the set up is during a Magpies and an AFLW game.

Had a look inside the window and there is still a hell of a lot of work to be done to finish inside, to turn that area into what the specs and renders show it will look like.
It assume it will be the Club1870 deck for the Magpie games…

It assume it will be the Club1870 deck for the Magpie games…

Now if they can just do something about the bench seats behind the fence immediately in front of the main entrance that a small group of selfish pricks use as their meal table (they bring their own foldable chairs) at every maggies home game I will be very pleased.

Now if they can just do something about the bench seats behind the fence immediately in front of the main entrance that a small group of selfish pricks use as their meal table (they bring their own foldable chairs) at every maggies home game I will be very pleased.
You could always arrive a bit earlier I guess? 🤷‍♂️

You could always arrive a bit earlier I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Those boundary seats are for sitting. Not for cheese platters.

And I always stand.

My concern is for those who come a bit late and need to sit but can't because the banquet brigade have settled in for their fortnightly degustation.

There was this women with 3 kids looking for a place to sit and I pointed out the said bench only to be told by one of the foodies that it was reserved.

Anyway off topic and just a bug bear of mine. Hate selfish pri1ks with a passion. Got it off my chest and so can move on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to do a meerkat and compare the pair, on redevelopments.

Richmond today announced a $65mil facilities and Punt Road Oval precinct redevelopment with a community component and AFLW component. They spent almost $20mil in the early teens and received $15mil in the coalition government's pre election cash splash budget before the May 2019 election.

I thought they had had started to build it, but Covid put that on hold, and they have changed their plan's after the Vic government gave them a matching $15mil in their infrastructure spending budget last November, so now have to raise another $35mil and turn Punt Road Oval into the dimensions as the MCG as well as building facilities.

Richmond, like Port, see the benefit of having AFLW home games played in summer months as a revenue driver and the new grandstand and other areas will be able to accomodate 8,000 people. The video, specs and more details are at;

Time to do a meerkat and compare the pair, on redevelopments.

Richmond today announced a $65mil facilities and Punt Road Oval precinct redevelopment with a community component and AFLW component. They spent almost $20mil in the early teens and received $15mil in the coalition government's pre election cash splash budget before the May 2019 election.

I thought they had had started to build it, but Covid put that on hold, and they have changed their plan's after the Vic government gave them a matching $15mil in their infrastructure spending budget last November, so now have to raise another $35mil and turn Punt Road Oval into the dimensions as the MCG as well as building facilities.

Richmond, like Port, see the benefit of having AFLW home games played in summer months as a revenue driver and the new grandstand and other areas will be able to accomodate 8,000 people. The video, specs and more details are at;

On looks alone it is far more aesthetically pleasing then the black boxes we are getting at Alberton.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Anyone hear anything about some federal money coming in?
Richo has been talking about it since the AGM and that they are in deep negotiations, but nothing was ever going to be announced before the council approved the development. I'd expect more info/confirmation probably in the new year (elections are coming).

Last edited:
PM announces $15m for Port Adelaide Football Club’s Alberton Oval redevelopment
Prime Minister Scott Morrison came to town bearing gifts for the Port faithful on Friday, announcing a multimillion-dollar cash splash for a big build in Labor heartland.

Port Adelaide Football Club’s plans to transform the historic Alberton Oval into a multi-sport precinct has been boosted with $15m of federal government funding.
The extra money has supercharged the club’s plans to power into the AFLW for the 2022-23 season.

Making the announcement at Alberton Oval, in Labor heartland, Prime Minister Scott Morrison declared the redevelopment would inspire future generations of South Australian sporting stars.

“As the club song goes, ‘it’s more than a sport,’ and that’s what this redevelopment is all about,” Mr Morrison told The Advertiser on Friday, during his first visit to Adelaide in eight months.

“The new precinct will ensure Alberton Oval continues to be the heart of the community and an inspiration for generations to come.”

1637932450604.png

Mr Morrison is believed to be only the second Prime Minister to visit Alberton Oval, after Gough Whitlam in the 1970s. It is located in Labor’s stronghold seat of Hindmarsh.

Port Adelaide’s redevelopment includes upgrades to the club’s ageing AFL indoor training facilities and the construction of two indoor basketball courts and an outdoor soccer pitch – both to be used by local junior sporting clubs.

The Advertiser understands construction of the main elements is planned to start in April or May next year and due to be completed by the end of 2022.

Port Adelaide Chairman David Koch said the $30m overhaul was crucial for its plans to enter the 2022-23 AFLW season: “Our existing facilities really do need an upgrade to keep up with the rest of the league.”

Mr Koch said the club raised another $15m through “supporters”, commercial earnings and some state government funding.

1637932538053.png

$15 million from a Federal Liberal government AND getting the PM to Alberton to announce it is exactly the type of sh*t that we need out of David Koch and all of his connections and profile. Great work.

Just don't tell ScoMo that the other half of the money is coming from China... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back