Game Day Port Adelaide V Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but Hayward is very near the age where you start looking at their performance in the grand scheme of their career, and whether they're worth going forward with.
As earlier, I think he is a yes.

I think we're one of highest through the corridor teams in the comp. Our problem in first half is our biggest problem most weeks, just not getting the ball. WE lose the centre clearances and play the game in our back half. We got murdered on clearances in the first half 10-30 and contested possessions 56-83 (in 2nd half drew even 16-16 on clarances and won contested possession 61-58, which goes to show).

The reshuffle between Aliir, Tom Mac and Sinclair worked really well. Aliir might be a better ruck/follower than an intercept defender. Love Sinclair's work ethic but he misses too many marks.
Great to see Joey in form
McInerney really showed signs today
Fox looking at home up back
Blakey didn't do much but you can see what a weapon he will be
Papley does amazing amount of damage on limited opportunities

One poor quarter that we lost 4 goals to nil, lost the game by 4 goals. AT this stage of team's development, not a bad effort to keep pace with ladder leader for three quarters. Just need to build consistency and win more of the midfield battles.

I think it's a 'win' somewhat with the final margin against the top team. There was effort unlike last week which is what we want each week, win or lose. There is plenty to work on and towards with this list moving forward.

My 2 cents.
Overall - good effort

Upside - Reid presenting, McCartins incredible effort on Dick-son, Kennedy showed some touch, Rowbottom, Aliir in the ruck, Fox showing poise, Mills is an Ober-Stormtrooper.....and that young dark haired bloke..forget his name....Stevens?

Downside - Sincs is worn out. Florent is liability. Young group still panicking under pressure, silly tap ons , fumbles, dump kicks.

Jury's out - Blakey, Bell, Melican

Well said Kapers as always. Even if I don't agree with it all, there's a way to say things.

Apologies to SSwans2011 for getting hot-headed.
Thanks mate.
You get a lot of flack on here, but I really respect your opinions. You post more than pretty much anyone and you stick by your point, which I always enjoy reading.
I think we forget that we're all supporting the same team lol.

Awsome to apologise as well, I know I hate apologising.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.
You get a lot of flack on here, but I really respect your opinions. You post more than pretty much anyone and you stick by your point, which I always enjoy reading.
I think we forget that we're all supporting the same team lol.

Awsome to apologise as well, I know I hate apologising.

Far too generous there mate.

I think if you put your opinions out there as I do you've gotta be prepared for people to not like or agree with them.

The bolded bit you said is particularly true. We've all got different ideas of how to get to a flag and who will take us there but I'd rather sit here and disagree about it with this dysfunctional Swans family than have a phoney supporter base that don't give a **** :D

Blakey and Hayward are the players we need IF they were consistent. It's weird, because they are both chock full of talent (you can see it Blakey's run and bullet passes and Hayward goal sense and solid hands).

If blakey got 10 more touches, and Hayward was good for 5ish marks and 2 goals or a solid lockdown role, we would look waaaaaay better. I think that's our biggest issue as a team, and we have to find a way to develop them into consistent players.

Side note, I really liked Florent's game, he's all class with his movement, just needs to split the different with ball in hand, a bit like Clayton Oliver.
500ish metres gained with 15 disposals isn't bad (running 40% efficiency is bad though)

Blakey and Hayward are the players we need IF they were consistent. It's weird, because they are both chock full of talent (you can see it Blakey's run and bullet passes and Hayward goal sense and solid hands).

If blakey got 10 more touches, and Hayward was good for 5ish marks and 2 goals or a solid lockdown role, we would look waaaaaay better. I think that's our biggest issue as a team, and we have to find a way to develop them into consistent players.

Side note, I really liked Florent's game, he's all class with his movement, just needs to split the different with ball in hand, a bit like Clayton Oliver.
500ish metres gained with 15 disposals isn't bad (running 40% efficiency is bad though)

Florent's also not making great decisions lately. Probably last month or so, he's got in this bad habit of hanging on to the ball a fraction too long in the tackle. So he often just ends up spilling it. In those cases he's gotta either hit the tackler hard to try and break it, or get rid of it quickly, he can't just linger between being too unsure to get rid of it, and too stationary to avoid the tackle.

When Florent was up and about earlier in the year everything he did he looked confident with. Now he seems to be in two minds all the time.

Something that Ceaser88 always points out, look who performed for Port:
Dixion 29
Gray 32
Boak 32
Rockliff 30
Hartlet 30
Wines 25
SPP 22
Duursma 20

The ever present comparison to Blakey, Rozee, had a really bad game.
We are full of players that are too young to perform consistently, we are missing that solid group of older players to hide the youngsters bad performances.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the oldest we had in the back line was Cunningham 27, and Lloyd 26. Forward line is Reid 28 and Papley 24, mids are Kennedy 31 and Parker 27. We just don't have a proper senior core at the moment, and I don't know how we can address that without waiting 3-4 years for the kids to get there.

Florent's also not making great decisions lately. Probably last month or so, he's got in this bad habit of hanging on to the ball a fraction too long in the tackle. So he often just ends up spilling it. In those cases he's gotta either hit the tackler hard to try and break it, or get rid of it quickly, he can't just linger between being too unsure to get rid of it, and too stationary to avoid the tackle.

When Florent was up and about earlier in the year everything he did he looked confident with. Now he seems to be in two minds all the time.
I would argue that that isn't wholly negative, he is obviously trying to do TOO much. You have to think that as he get more experience he'll realise what he can and can't do, better than the other way imo (playing too conservative and never testing how far he can go).

Stephens in for Bell would be where I'd start :)
I'd have him in for Ollie myself given that they had Florent on the outside for much of the game and he totally sucks at it.
With JPK back I'm not sure there's a spot inside for him either. He might go alright as a pressure forward... Ronke type role ....maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that Ceaser88 always points out, look who performed for Port:
Dixion 29
Gray 32
Boak 32
Rockliff 30
Hartlet 30
Wines 25
SPP 22
Duursma 20

The ever present comparison to Blakey, Rozee, had a really bad game.
We are full of players that are too young to perform consistently, we are missing that solid group of older players to hide the youngsters bad performances.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the oldest we had in the back line was Cunningham 27, and Lloyd 26. Forward line is Reid 28 and Papley 24, mids are Kennedy 31 and Parker 27. We just don't have a proper senior core at the moment, and I don't know how we can address that without waiting 3-4 years for the kids to get there.

Made worse when you consider some of these kids won't even make it. (That's not me being negative, just a law of averages thing.)

Our senior core is not good, and the very best ones (Heeney, Buddy, Rampe) are out. Two of them are also over 30 now.

I suppose the good thing is that if you look at our key players over the year - Rampe, Papley, Lloyd, Mills, Rowbottom, Dawson, Heeney, and for everyone else's sake Parker - that's a pretty good mix of old and young. One veteran (Rampe - 30), three in that peak age group (Parker - 27, Lloyd - 26 and Heeney - 24), three in that next group nearing their peak age (Dawson, Mills and Papley - all 23), and one kid (Rowbottom - 19).

If a few others - like Aliir (25), Florent (22), Hayward (21), Blakey & McCartin (20) - can just get that consistency, we might have a chance at having a quality senior core in the next year or so. That might just give the kids who will be coming through in that time - Stephens, Wicks, Warner, Elijah, Campbell, Gulden, and whoever else we draft or debut, a fighting chance at making the kind of impact that Port's kids have had.

And might also mean we can start putting four quarters together on a regular basis. It's such a big IF though.

At the risk of reigniting the Clarke Stephens debate here are my thoughts.

Clarke is in 5th season and has played over 50 games. His strengths are running, puts his head over the ball and is hard at the contest. His weaknesses are his lack of reliability with ball in hand because of technical errors and decision making. With the best will in the world it is hard to see him improving or becoming a dominant player.

Stephens is in his first season and is a lightly built 19yo. His strengths are running, determination and reading of the play. He has upside and who knows, may become a dominant player.

Made worse when you consider some of these kids won't even make it. (That's not me being negative, just a law of averages thing.)

Our senior core is not good, and the very best ones (Heeney, Buddy, Rampe) are out. Two of them are also over 30 now.

I suppose the good thing is that if you look at our key players over the year - Rampe, Papley, Lloyd, Mills, Rowbottom, Dawson, Heeney, and for everyone else's sake Parker - that's a pretty good mix of old and young. One veteran (Rampe - 30), three in that peak age group (Parker - 27, Lloyd - 26 and Heeney - 24), three in that next group nearing their peak age (Dawson, Mills and Papley - all 23), and one kid (Rowbottom - 19).

If a few others - like Aliir (25), Florent (22), Hayward (21), Blakey & McCartin (20) - can just get that consistency, we might have a chance at having a quality senior core in the next year or so. That might just give the kids who will be coming through in that time - Stephens, Wicks, Warner, Elijah, Campbell, Gulden, and whoever else we draft or debut, a fighting chance at making the kind of impact that Port's kids have had.

And might also mean we can start putting four quarters together on a regular basis. It's such a big IF though.

Or just ask St.Kilda who were building for over a decade and have just started to show some promise, Lions for well over a decade or the endless rebuild of Carlton.

Its astute recruiting mixed with a very good off field plan and good management remember how everyone laughed at Brenden Gale 10yr plan of 75k members, multiple final appearances and zero debt by 2020 this was laid out in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back