Preview Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions – Sunday 14/07/19, 4:40pm (Brisbane time) at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions – Sunday 14/07/19, 4:40pm (Brisbane time) at Adelaide Oval (Port @ $1.62 and Bris @ $2.30)

Port vs Brisbane.PNG

Summary

Brisbane are one of the form teams of the competition currently. Holding the best current win streak in the league (3 wins) and sitting equal third on the ladder. So Brisbane should go into this clash with a lot of confidence. With West Coast and Collingwood squaring off on Friday night, a win here will mean we either end the round equal second on the ladder (with WCE and Coll) or remain 3rd on the ladder, but 4 points clear of Collingwood in 4th place.

For the 7th placed Port Adelaide, a loss here could see them tumble out of the top eight come the end of the round. With a run home that includes some tough games against Richmond and GWS and add to that some potential 8 point games in Essendon, North Melbourne and Fremantle, banking early wins now will really ease that pressure of making the top 8 come the end of the home and away season.

Last Time We Met

Hipwood was the star of the show in our round 3 win at the Gabba earlier this year with a 6 goal haul. He along with Neale (43 touches), Robinson (29 touches) and Walker (23 touches) were arguably our best players that night in what ended up an impressive win; with Port Adelaide stealing the lead for the first time early in the 4th quarter and looking like they could steal the 4 points from the Lions. This was done through the impressive performances of young gun, C.Rozee (5 goals), their captain in T.Boak (35 touches) and S.Powell-Pepper (29 touches). However, a 4 goal surge in the second half of the last quarter helped the Lions overrun Port, who clearly were disappointed with the result after working so hard to gain the lead in that fourth quarter.

A Few Key Matchups

Charlie Dixon v Harris Andrews

There is no height advantage here for either team with Dixon being 200cm and Andrews being 201cm. Strength wise they too they would be pretty evenly matched. So 1v1 this could be an exciting duel. Andrews has the form on the board and is one of the premier tall defenders of the competition now being in All Australian form thanks to his amazing spoiling ability and the continued development of his intercept marking. Dixon on the other is only 3 games into his comeback from injury. His output in those 3 games is been pretty unimpressive, with him kicking only 4 goals and taking 5 marks in total. He is a danger player though, as he is capable of kicking a big haul and taking big contested marks. If Dixon isn't having an impact however, watch for Andrews to really start to go for his intercept marking.

Dayne Zorko vs Robbie Gray

This one match up is more purely on output rather than both playing on one another, as both are big match winners for their respective sides. Both players split their time between the forward line and midfield. Whoever has the better game between these two will go a long way to deciding who wins this match in my opinion. Both are equally capable of 30 disposal, 4 goal games so shutting down both these players will be key to keeping their team in the game.

Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons and Jarrod Berry vs Travis Boak, Tom Rockliff and Ollie Wines
These are some of the main contested possession getters for both teams. While Brisbane lost the contested possession count against GWS last week and won, I think losing it again this week would be dangerous and damage our chances of winning, as one of Brisbane’s strengths all year has been scoring from stoppages. If Port can nullify Neale in particular, Brisbane’s scoring power can be blunted greatly.

Charlie Cameron vs Dan Houston
I am not 100% sure on who will line up on Cameron, but I believe it might be Houston. C.Cameron is a big barometer for Brisbane thanks to his speed and creativity up forward, while he isn’t the be all and end all of us winning, he is close. In our 5 losses this year, he averages .80 goals and .40 goal assists a game and in our wins, he averages 2.5 goals and 1.1 goal assists a game. So if he has a big game, we will likely be either close or ahead.

Final Word

With Hodge and Hipwood likely outs due to injury, Brisbane’s depth could start to get a little test, so it will be interesting to see how Fagan goes with his ins for this week. As was the case last week away from home against GWS, if Brisbane’s midfield can apply a lot of pressure without the ball it will go a long way to giving us a chance away from home. Port are an aggressive ball moving side, so there could be scoring opportunities if we set up well defensively and get them on the rebound.

Boak coming back into Port’s midfield (he was a late out last week) really adds depth in that area for them. So Brisbane’s midfield will need to be switched on and ready for a 4 quarter effort if we are likely to get the “W”. Both teams are top 3 in the league for inside 50 entries per game, so I think the more efficient team at scoring per inside 50 will be the likely winner here.

Should be an exciting game, I'll say Port by 6 points.

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round 17?
Brisbane:

Get them in:
Untried youngster Corey Lyons gathered 38 disposals to lead the Lions' NEAFL side to a 49-point win over the Giants. Rhys Mathieson had 24 touches and kicked three goals as the Lions maintained their unbeaten record.

Under the pump: Hard to find players who struggled. Marcus Adams worked his way into the game after a slow start and undersized Ryan Lester was outmarked a couple of times by Harry Himmelberg.

Medical room: Ruckman Oscar McInerney is available for selection after missing last week's win with concussion. Eric Hipwood is in doubt after suffering a knee injury against the Giants.

Verdict: McInerney should come straight back in to allow he and Stef Martin to double-up on Scott Lycett. If Hipwood is unavailable, that's a straight swap, but if the lanky forward gets up, it might be at the expense of Lester, allowing the stronger Adams to shift to his preferred defensive position.

Port Adelaide:

Get them in:
Former captain Travis Boak is set to be a huge inclusion for Sunday's crucial encounter with Brisbane at Adelaide Oval. Boak injured his back in the warm-up and didn't play in last weekend's Showdown smashing of Adelaide. Hard to see the Power making any unforced changes after such a great win, but defenders Matthew Broadbent, Joel Garner and Jarrod Lienert had strong SANFL games, while Billy Frampton kicked four goals.

Under the pump: Sam Powell-Pepper could be the unlucky one to miss out if Boak returns, while Zak Butters might be squeezed out.

Medical room: Boak will be assessed this week. Ruckman Scott Lycett is expected to be available after playing out the Showdown following a knee injury.

Verdict: One change, Boak in for Powell-Pepper.

I was going to give the preview a like but something changed my mind... What was it...

I'll say Port by 6 points.

Yep, that was it.

Last week poor dlanod was torn between his love for the Lions and his love for the Giants ... how will Sausages and patfullfankezz manage to cope when it comes to deciding between the Lions and their beloved Port Power?

*quickly points to that other thread where someone spelled Patfull with one 'L' as a distraction*

Last week poor dlanod was torn between his love for the Lions and his love for the Giants ... how will Sausages and patfullfankezz manage to cope when it comes to deciding between the Lions and their beloved Port Power?

*quickly points to that other thread where someone spelled Patfull with one 'L' as a distraction*

There's a special place in Hell for you.

Aw Kez you say the sweetest things!

And yes I *might* have deserved it... btw is hell anywhere near Alberton?
It might, or might not, have helped Hinkley get a clear view of things if he'd been allowed to spot the very obvious reason why he couldn't see hell from Alberton.
It was for the same reason that people in Trafalgar Square can't see England.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted in the preview to the Giants thread that I was unusually confident of a win, not so much this one.

Port are similar to the Dogs/Bombers in that if we are not on intensity and pressure wise their mark play on, overlapping handballing and running in wave game will overwhelm us.

On the other hand if we are ON with our pressure, hunt the man, ball and in their face they will be prone to turnovers and hacking it forward which will play into our hands.

Not too worried about Hippy being out, Big O in mitigates that although with a different game style and I also think Marcus Adams will be better for the run last week. I'm sure Harris and Richy can take on the full leadership roles at the back if Hodgey is out as well.

IMO if we are ON we have the more talented side and will win.

I posted in the preview to the Giants thread that I was unusually confident of a win, not so much this one.

Last week I was quite comfortable tipping the Giants by two to three goals. Obviously I was wrong.

This week I am quite comfortable tipping us by two to three goals. Hopefully I turn my tipping around.

We also have a days less rest and 2 flights in that time while Port stay at home.

Port don’t have a tagged so hopefully Neale and Zorko have good games.

Oscar for Hippy and NRobbo for Hodge would be my prediction

I assume we’ll try to get Cameron one out inside 50 as much as possible again. His last couple of weeks he’s seemed a bit off so hopefully he can have a big one in his 100th

Hi all, again some insider info on knees. Last time it was Berry this time Hipwood. From what I am hearing they will most likely give Hipwood every possible chance to play. The knee is coming along nicely and the pain and swelling has come right back. I suspect he will board the plane and it will be down to the warm up 60mins before the bounce that determines if he plays or doesn't. They have him in a brace for training and around the house. Looks like his 6 goal haul in round 3 is just too valuable to lose.

I've got confused emotions about this . I think Hippy leaves a big hole in our forward structure but as much as I want him to play I'd somehow prefer he didn't and had the week off if he's in a brace at the moment. We could lose it anyway.

Big call coming up for our medical team . PA have everything in their favour this week including the incentive to do well so it'll take a really special effort by our guys to get over the top of them . We've almost got a full list , just pick fully fit players and give it our best.

Not very confident about this week. Bad Port adelaide are due so that might help us but it is going to be tough to back up after such a big road performance last week. Given I would have been delighted if we went 1-1 over the Giants and Port games I won't be too disappointed with a loss provided it is reasonably close.

We also have a days less rest and 2 flights in that time while Port stay at home.

Port don’t have a tagged so hopefully Neale and Zorko have good games.

Oscar for Hippy and NRobbo for Hodge would be my prediction

I assume we’ll try to get Cameron one out inside 50 as much as possible again. His last couple of weeks he’s seemed a bit off so hopefully he can have a big one in his 100th

If I recall there is a historical 'post showdown comedown" - I might be dreaming but I think there was stats shared around last year about poor performances the week after? hmmm probably dreaming.

Not very confident about this week. Bad Port adelaide are due so that might help us but it is going to be tough to back up after such a big road performance last week. Given I would have been delighted if we went 1-1 over the Giants and Port games I won't be too disappointed with a loss provided it is reasonably close.

I agree, this is the first genuine 'Free swing"we have had in months. Last week wasn't, because we lose that, then Port becomes a must win. There will be very little stress going into this game.

Don't want to forecast doom to far in advance but I have one eye on the North game. Huge danger game IMO. Our Gabba form is great, but a combination coming off 2 high octane interstate trips against good sides mixed with Norths good form - has me a little stressed about that game.

I want them to rest Hippy. I want us to be more than one player. I want us to prove to ourselves that we have the depth to cover anything and still come up with the chocolates.

Now I want a Cadbury Twirl...

I agree, this is the first genuine 'Free swing"we have had in months. Last week wasn't, because we lose that, then Port becomes a must win. There will be very little stress going into this game.

Don't want to forecast doom to far in advance but I have one eye on the North game. Huge danger game IMO. Our Gabba form is great, but a combination coming off 2 high octane interstate trips against good sides mixed with Norths good form - has me a little stressed about that game.
Agree and I would like to see some rotation for that game! I look at the NEAFL and remember in there we have Mathieson, Cutler, Walker, Taylor, Bastinac, Starc, Allison. Players that can all do a job. Not saying i think we should have 7 changes but really identify if players need a rest and giving a few of these hungry blokes a chance would help get a W.

There's a special place in Hell for you.

As kezz so rightfully alluded to, there is a special place in hell for you VR - allow me to explain, for I spoke to an old wandering hermit once, a seer and a prophet who possessed a piece of forbidden lore - a Footy Record, 666 pages long.......

You will garbed as befits a true fanatic of Port, complete with painted face in garish teal. You will watch the 2004 Grand Final each day and then compose a piece of prose extolling a different virtue of the performance of Port in that game. The Overlord, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Warren Tredrea, will read your work and should it not be satisfactory you will be sent to the Byron Pickett room to be used as a training dummy for his hip and shoulder. After every impact, you will be required to sing the Port club song and Never Tear Us Apart, whilst your bruised lungs try to suck in sufficient thin air to belt out the tunes.

As kezz so rightfully alluded to, there is a special place in hell for you VR - allow me to explain, for I spoke to an old wandering hermit once, a seer and a prophet who possessed a piece of forbidden lore - a Footy Record, 666 pages long.......

You will garbed as befits a true fanatic of Port, complete with painted face in garish teal. You will watch the 2004 Grand Final each day and then compose a piece of prose extolling a different virtue of the performance of Port in that game. The Overlord, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Warren Tredrea, will read your work and should it not be satisfactory you will be sent to the Byron Pickett room to be used as a training dummy for his hip and shoulder. After every impact, you will be required to sing the Port club song and Never Tear Us Apart, whilst your bruised lungs try to suck in sufficient thin air to belt out the tunes.

Mate...it's just a game...go easy!!!!!!!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back