Preview Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions – Sunday 14/07/19, 4:40pm (Brisbane time) at Adelaide Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like our big forwards: McStay and Adams. Its time for McStay to reward all the patience we have had with him.

Not sure who I would bring in but it seems to me we need another key forward.
I assume Oscar will be up there 70% of the time?
Adams will be better for the run last week and will kick 3 this week!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gee, the Port fans are not confident at all. I know we beat GWS at their home ground but still, odds are they win this game.

We have shown we get a bit spooked once the crowd gets going, a couple of outs and back to back road trips. Plus we are due for a let down.

Smart money is well and truely with Port, if at the Gabba a totally different story.

It's not that I am not hopeful and confident (not bullish like before GWS) - none the less, I am surprised at their pessimism.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The eight Fox Sports 'experts' have all tipped Port. That's good! Pressure is all on them really, kind of have another free kick. Would LOVE to beat Port.

Gee, the Port fans are not confident at all. I know we beat GWS at their home ground but still, odds are they win this game.

We have shown we get a bit spooked once the crowd gets going, a couple of outs and back to back road trips. Plus we are due for a let down.

Smart money is well and truely with Port, if at the Gabba a totally different story.

It's not that I am not hopeful and confident (not bullish like before GWS) - none the less, I am surprised at their pessimism.
Probably because they don't do back to back either but also they don't appear to have much faith in their coach or their senior players to win the must win games.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Could be time for the much awaited Harris forward move with Payne/walker going back.
Fagan has given the indication wants to give Andrews a game up forward. I doubt this is the game he's going to try it. Fagan may lean towards debuting Payne when Hodge is present in defence to guide him. Still, we don't know if Fagan wants to pull a few tricks out of his bag. He's a Coach with a very flexible list at his disposal & he's admitted he's not yet sure what our best line up is. All this is very exciting for us Lions fans.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay has been playing all year and gets up the ground. You would think if they play Adams forward he plays deep given his fitness level.

A lot depends on conditions on the day.I really doubt they would risk Harris not in defence with Hodge not there . Likewise you wouldn't think we'd be entirely happy with him on Dixon who could just drag him out of the game . All of which increases the chances of Payne getting a gig.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Mmmm! Goes to show it's in the eyes of the beholder, I thought the exact opposite.

Edit- I'm confused now, I thought Bundy had been back for 2 games, I just had a look it's 3, Saints, Demons and Giants, can't recall now if the Saints or Demons game was excellent.
It was Bundy's first game back against the Saints that he was excellent. Kicked a couple of goals, including one cracker and was a man possessed with his defensive forward pressure and tackling and pinning much bigger opponents.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
With the injuries / management of Hodge and Hipwood and the announced 'ins' tonight, I think the changes will be McInerney and Mathieson.

I know someone mentioned a third change, but looking at the remaining 20 players that played the Giants, I couldn't find an obvious player to omit unless it is an omission for structural reasons i.e. similar to when Walker was dropped against the Dogs.

McInerney is an obvious in, but I'd be surprised if we went for another tall such as Walker or Payne; unless of course we dropped Lester because we wanted that bigger key position player. As for Hodge's replacement, although not like for like, I reckon we'd go for another mid and Mathieson is the only one that has been brought into the squad. Christensen and Keays are too like for like for mine, so not sure we'd bring in Keays without dropping Mathieson.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams, McInerney & McStay
Adams is not a tall at 192cms. It's almost midfield height in this day and age so classifying Adams as a tall be it forward or back is wrong. Walker is 197cms. That's a tall & could slot into the forward line as such while Adams can go back.

Adams is not a tall at 192cms. It's almost midfield height in this day and age so classifying Adams as a tall be it forward or back is wrong. Walker is 197cms. That's a tall & could slot into the forward line as such while Adams can go back.
He plays tall, and would be considered a third tall in the team this week!
He has the capacity to take a good strong mark and can run and jump.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He plays tall, and would be considered a third tall in the team this week!
He has the capacity to take a good strong mark and can run and jump.
Disagree. He is a strong man no doubt, but that doesn't make him play as a tall. Most players at 192-193cms can take strong marks (Bezza for example) but that doesn't mean he plays tall. Happy to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back