2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 2 @ Alberton

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Went to the game. I was seething with how we were playing in that first half. Our defence around the ground looked like we were zoning but we just poor. Second half it tightened right around the ground.

Hayes was great. He's ready to debut however Ladhams was playing far better for longer when he eventually got an afl gig.
Lienart good. Has been all season.
Garner finally found form.
McKenzie good.
Mead, Schofield and Woodcock very skilled.
Bergman very smart player and clean disposal. Made a difference when placed in the centre.
Surmon strong. Good player. Norwood spewing we got him.
Weideman much better when he went into defence.
Burgoyne ok.

Basically a lot of players lifted.

Got to put it into perspective because although our side is very young, very new, lots of sanfl contracted players and most of the team hadn't played football for a year, we should be beating Centrals. Centrals are practically full of hacks and deserve to be eternal cellar dwellars.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surmon strong. Good player. Norwood spewing we got him.
Did we actually poach him from Norwood though? He signed up with PNU along with Wilson and Baulderstone late last year, so maybe had no intention of playing SANFL, or Norwood didn't want him.

Or perhaps there were irons in the fire and it was a ruse to ensure he had a club to go back to if dropped from the Magpies.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did we actually poach him from Norwood though? He signed up with PNU along with Wilson and Baulderstone late last year, so maybe had no intention of playing SANFL, or Norwood didn't want him.

Or perhaps there were irons in the fire and it was a ruse to ensure he had a club to go back to if dropped from the Magpies.

So Surmon was left on Norwood's inactive list having injured his knee after playing 5 games in 2020 and that's how we were able to sign him. Apparently Norwood were still interested in him but forgotten he was on the inactive list. Otherwise if Norwood had cut him then I'm sure there's that 2 year rule where he'd be unavailable for us to sign.

I hadn't known before that players on inactive lists were accessible to us. So what possibly seems to be the case is that we probably have a small window of accessing an sanfl player that is on inactive list before their club either re-activates or cuts them.

I reckon it was likely that Norwood were going to cut him but at least we got a decent player that's not been out of the system for 2 years.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just finished the game. Lots to like about the performance

Who the hell was operating the camera? A work experience kid would have done better.

What dunce was in the commentary box? Was some very pro snaffle waffling going on. In the 4th Qtr still backing in a central’s side who hadn’t done anything for an hr was baffling. At least one of the umps was having a lend.

anyway how good was our backline? They were unbeatable in the contest. Goalkicking on paper looks horrendous but they should get a pass cause that wind looked to have the measure of everyone.

McKenzie Garner lienert were unbelievable. Hayes is beyond words. Good to see a few players who got back up from the shitshow they served last week.

Hayes - single handedly controlling games for us. His ruck dominance is covering over our lack of ball winning mids. It’s not just that he is getting huge numbers, but his taps are so clearly to our advantage so often. I haven’t seen a young ruck dominate this much for us ever. Really provides that tall marking target around the ground. He’s going to completely change our team when he comes into our side. Imagine him feeding butters wines rozee and spp.

woodcock - was very poor last week but was influential in this match.

lienert - in strong form this year.

McKenzie - one of our best players. Read it coming in like he had gps. Has put his hand up for afl.

Garner - I wrote his career off last week as I was so furious with his effort. Was one of our best and just won every contest and drove the ball long.

mead - played well and was very busy around the contests. Surprised he only finished with 22d. Great by hand

Farrell - looked very competitive out there and did lots of good things but was surprised he only finished with 13d. Wanted him to find more of it.

Frederick- lots of spark but such an up and down player

Schofield - surprised he only had 16d. Looked very busy. Lots to like about how he moves, his supposed weapon, ball use by foot has not been apparent for the magpies. Have we ports his kicking already? It’s his smarts around contests and agility that are impressive.

Lord - plays like an old school key forward. Loved his hands, they’re so trustworthy. Can he teach Dixon and ladhams how to hold a mark?

Bergman - glimpse of the future today!! Didn’t notice him for 3/4s. That little on-ball run might just be a glimpse into what we could expect him to be one day. I love players who can take a ball from a contest and extract it using their jets and awareness and dispose of it well. They’re worth their weight in literal gold.

Williams - not much result on paper but was very dangerous for patches and his left foot coming out of the contest was a bit of a weapon. We just need him to do more.

burgs - had his moments but I thought he could have done more to be honest. Saw a few moments of laziness and one of the only players I didn’t like today.

I'm amazed no one is giving Ethan Moore abit of encouragement in this thread, I think he was bloody good! I really like the look of him.
Very happy with him, never seen him fumble the ball ever and is a good kick.

Moore is very tidy and has had some big possession games for Westies at u18 level.

Should be a regular sanfl player, probably lacks a distinctive weapon for AFL for a guy his size.

But over the first 3 quarters especially he outshone many of his AFL listed counterparts.

0.1 in the second half. What on earth happened to Centrals?
We're the fittest team you know,
The Macker's shuffle makes it so.

We played bloody well into the wind in the 3rd. and our superior fitness levels running hard into the wind and then with the wind left them for dead.

That's what will happen when we play the bottom half of the SANFL sides if we have about 12 AFL listed players. The oppo will take it up to us in the first half because of their size and experience, but the fitness levels of our AFL players will be superior in the 2nd half.

But it won't be as big a weapon against the best 3 or 4 SANFL sides. They will be bigger, stronger, more experienced, and if not as fit as us, close enough to maintain their advantage.

People seem to forget that if we are playing 8-10-12 top up players and all bar two or three of them wouldn't get a game at SANFL clubs as wouldn't be top 30 players, so we need our most experienced and best AFL listed players, playing well to get on top of our opponents to compensate for theses top players not being up to the standard.

The top up players work their arse off and are committed but most of them aren't as good as their direct opponents.

I'm amazed no one is giving Ethan Moore abit of encouragement in this thread, I think he was bloody good! I really like the look of him.
He has been just about the best of the SANFL contracted players after Sutcliffe. Saw the 2nd half of the crows reserves trial online and thought he was our best player not just best contracted player.

He is a good player and reckon might be around for awhile. Would get games at other SANFL clubs A grade side.

Back