2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladhams isn't a better option than Paddy or Lycett at this point and as much as I love what he's doing there are fat blokes that dominate ruck at SANFL level.

Ladhams isn't a better option than Paddy or Lycett at this point and as much as I love what he's doing there are fat blokes that dominate ruck at SANFL level.

There was a bloke named Lobbe who used to dominate sanfl ruckmen on a fairly regular basis too, and it wasn't that long ago either, so I'm all for Ladhams having at least the remainder of this season at the Maggies to hone his craft, and hopefully get some finals action as well.

After watching yesterday Broady, Farrell, Motlop and Frampton have to come in next week. Butters can have a rest, Bonner can spend a month in the Maggies, Motlop and Farrell bring in better disposal instantly, which costs us weekly. And Frampton on form has to play after his past fortnight.

First off, where did concede Ryder is droppable. Your pulling **** out of thin air.

My assumptions are based on plenty of players being a class above at Sanfl level but not cutting it at AFL level. Ruckman especially take years to develop and build the required strength to compete.

Does one below par game equal indifferent form and warrant being dropped? Port won't drop a $500k/year free agent after one game and nor should they. Don't be a numbskull.
Form doesn't have a pricetag.

After watching yesterday Broady, Farrell, Motlop and Frampton have to come in next week. Butters can have a rest, Bonner can spend a month in the Maggies, Motlop and Farrell bring in better disposal instantly, which costs us weekly. And Frampton on form has to play after his past fortnight.
Garner is so far ahead of Broadbent.

I agree, Macca, but I’m holding out hope that Hayes and Ladhams can both be elite (as Lade and Primus were), and that both will be regular goal-kickers when resting forward.

That then means that we have to find that one big natural forward to be the No.1 KPF, with Marshall and Ladhams/Hayes working around them.

I don’t want to lose Hayes or Ladhams any time soon.
In that case we have Lycett, Ladhams, Hayes who are all first ruck options - Lycett still has at least 5 years of footy in him. Can't play all three of them, particularly with Frampton, Dixon, and Howard all being able to pinch hit in the ruck, too.

So one of the aforementioned three rucks will request a trade elsewhere if he's not getting game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, he may not have 27 possessions every week, but undoubtedly he'd have 50-60 hitouts every week and probably take even more marks.

Ladhams is doing fantastic stuff, but he isn't ahead of Lycett just yet.

The also unmentioned thing is that having quality like Lycett for Ladhams to train against has probably also helped him develop a LOT quicker this year.
And to have a man mountain in our side is very nice after being undersized for years. Ryder is not a big body, Westhoff is not a big body, Doug's is not a big body, etc

In that case we have Lycett, Ladhams, Hayes who are all first ruck options - Lycett still has at least 5 years of footy in him. Can't play all three of them, particularly with Frampton, Dixon, and Howard all being able to pinch hit in the ruck, too.

So one of the aforementioned three rucks will request a trade elsewhere if he's not getting game time.
Then, and only then, we worry about it. So far, everything is fine.

Good day of footy at Alberton Saturday. Weather was great and Alberton oval looked a picture after a bit of rain. Was only going to watch th first half as I had to meet someone about 5kms from Alberton during the 3rd quarter but saw the scores just before 3/4 time and decided to go back to the game. Glad I did.

Got to see more of Ladhams dominating. Have written my thoughts about him in his thread.

Plenty of good natured banter between Port and centrals fans in that first half but was quieter in the last quarter.

Garner was good again. He has a nice kick, goes in hard and is a bit of an organizer of the backline. Must be close.

Broadie didn't do much. Motlop did some good things. Didn't dominate but will probably get a recall given the way Ken rolls.

Trengove just keeps on keeping on. Hope he has been given a clear plan of what are his real chances of making the A's.

Billy played well as already discussed. dominated as a forward

We have 3 very confident, hungry small forwards in Cox, Woodcock and Farrell who love kicking a goal and take the responsibility of kicking a goal. Cox and Farrell in particular are very good kicks and Cox leads and marks like a 195cm forward not 181cm. I have tried to come up with a collective noun for them as they love kicking a goal more than the players we in the A's who seem to want to dish off the responsibility. The best I came up with is a Hungry of Bartletts as they appear to be goal hungry like Bartlett, and I reckon that is a good thing.

Pudney is great to watch. He is never out of a contest as he just goes hard after the oppo in a pack or in the open.

Plenty of guys played serviceable to good games without dominating - Mckenzie, Atley, Mayes, Sutcliffe, Davidson and Fredrick. Johnson was very quiet but I think he got a leg injury and Grundy only got the ball a couple of times. Thought it was the best game I have seen Mitch Mead play.

Last edited:
Good day of footy at Alberton today. Weather was great and Alberton oval looked a picture after a bit of rain. Was only going to watch th first half as I had to meet someone about 5kms from Alberton during the 3rd quarter but saw the scores just before 3/4 time and decided to go back to the game. Glad I did.

Got to see more of Ladhams dominating. Have written my thoughts about him in his thread.

Plenty of good natured banter between Port and centrals fans in that first half but was quieter in the last quarter.

Garner was good again. He has a nice kick, goes in hard and is a bit of an organizer of the backline. Must be close.

Broadie didn't do much. Motlop did some good things. Didn't dominate but will probably get a recall given the way Ken rolls.

Trengove just keeps on keeping on. Hope he has been given a clear plan of what are his real chances of making the A's.

Billy played well as already discussed. dominated as a forward

We have 3 very confident, hungry small forwards in Cox, Woodcock and Farrell who love kicking a goal and take the responsibility of kicking a goal. Cox and Farrell in particular are very good kicks and Cox leads and marks like a 195cm forward not 181cm. I have tried to come up with a collective noun for them as they love kicking a goal more than the players we in the A's who seem to want to dish off the responsibility. The best I can up with is a Hungry of Bartletts as they appear to be goal hungry like Bartlett, and I reckon that is a good thing.

Pudney is great to watch. He is never out of a contest as he just goes hard after the oppo in a pack or in the open.

Plenty of guys played serviceable to good games without dominating - Mckenzie, Atley, Mayes, Sutcliffe, Davidson and Fredrick. Johnson was very quiet but I think he got a leg injury and Grundy only got the ball a couple of times. Thought it was the best game I have seen Mitch Mead play.

I was surprised how lightly framed Grundy is when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, he is built like a pencil, and is about half the size of his older brother.

That aside it's good the club has a project tall defender to develop, but from what I have seen so far they will need to show a lot of patience before they see any return on investment, and probably at least 3 years worth.

I was surprised how lightly framed Grundy is when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, he is built like a pencil, and is about half the size of his older brother.

That aside it's good the club has a project tall defender to develop, but from what I have seen so far they will need to show a lot of patience before they see any return on investment, and probably at least 3 years worth.
Yeah Grundy needs 2 or 3 solid preseasons in the gym. He gives a good contest which is what you want from him this stage. He wont be a star like his brother, but he will be a solid club man type from the way I have seen him the way he back up teammates in play, and in scuffles.

I agree, Macca, but I’m holding out hope that Hayes and Ladhams can both be elite (as Lade and Primus were), and that both will be regular goal-kickers when resting forward.

That then means that we have to find that one big natural forward to be the No.1 KPF, with Marshall and Ladhams/Hayes working around them.

I don’t want to lose Hayes or Ladhams any time soon.

Yep I’m hoping that the future is Marshall + chf ie luko or drafted player + one of Hayes ladhams rotating forward with butters Farrell etc around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back