2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 7 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

1pEX3ix.png

cZPd3jW.png

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Summo fantastic as usual. Eddy for afl. Marshall a beauty for the future. Really liked Atleys game after quarter time and thought it was Drews best game from those I've seen. Liked some of Lienerts defensive work but not quick enough for a winger imo. Frampton did some nice forward work. Hewetts second half was impressive. I've only focused on certain players.

Bonner struggled but had a leg strapped which looked to be troubling him. Was disappointed with Austin and Howard.

Agreed, Lienert is nowhere near quick enough for a winger, he is a magnificent kick though, that goal he kicked from outside the 50 late in the 2nd term went through post high, and must have travelled well over 60 metres.
He was a bit softly softly a couple of times, particularly on one occasion when took a couple of short steps when going for the ball on centrals forward 50 about 5 minutes before he kicked that goal.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well from what i have read in this thread we have player's ready to step up and improve our side for Thursday nights game. You can only pick players on form and performing players need to be picked. We need to win more games than we have so there needs to be some changes. It really is that simple. .

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eddy was great today, he has got real forward smarts of the type that only come naturally, he knows when to lead, and where to lead.
The timing of his leads today, particularly when the game was still on the line in the 3rd qtr were sensational.

He should be in the Power line up, because at the very least he would give the forward line some much needed structure, and with the confidence that would come with an extended run I believe he would be very capable of scoring regular goals at that level.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Funny few minutes in the last quarter.

There was confusion in the scoreboard pocket as to whether or not the Centrals defender touched the ball from a stray kick before it went out of bounds.

The field and boundary umpire conferred and ruled it hadn't been touched. Summo gets the free kick. And in a moment of dead quiet, another Centrals defender roars:

"YOU'RE F@%KING KIDDING ME!!!"

Everyone huddled under the scoreboard roof to get out of the rain cracked up laughing.

From here, the ball pretty much goes straight across goal to the lawn bowls pocket where Gus checksides a goal. As the ball's going back to the centre, the ump gives Eddy a free kick 25m out, dead in front. As he lines up...

A rabid Centrals fan in the family area springs from his fold-out chair, rushes to the fence, stops halfway and is like:

"F@%K THIS, F@%K THAT, F@%K YOU, UMPIRE, YA F@%KEN DICKHEAD!!!"

Everyone huddled under the scoreboard roof to get out of the rain cracked up laughing.

The rabid Centrals fan looked at us laughing our arses off. Embarrassment washed over him. And he trudged back to his fold-out chair...

My take on today. FWIW it's worth noting a whole lot of players who eventually did well struggled in the first half.

Disposals: Summerton 30, Hewett 25, Drew 23, Toumpas 21.
Goals: Eddy 4, Monfries 3, Ladhams, Marshall, Johnson 2, White, Lienert, Bonner, Atley, Lobbe.

1 Steven Summerton (c)
Superb all game but was just putting out fires in the first half. VERY damaging in the second half as a reliable back-up to players under pressure and then following up as an efficient distributor. No goals himself but a fair few due to his work.

3 Jake Neade
Worked hard and was kept up forward most of the game. But was kept goalless so working hard is unlikely to impress the Power selection panel.

6 Angus Monfries
Was OK in general and dangerous when he got his chance. I think the 3 goals might make his game look better than it was but I guess it's illustrative to compare him to Neade. He can hurt the opposition with less obvious effort, he must be a chance this week if his cards aren't marked to just see out his contract in the Maggies.

7 Louis Sharrad
I can't recall seeing him.
Edit. As I'm told later in this thread he played with the Academy side. Was originally listed as part of a 23 man side, later winnowed down to 21. Ditto Robbie Young.

13 Todd Marshall
Forgettable 1st half, stellar 3rd quarter. Not a big kid, not especially tall either. But very skilful once he switched on.

14 Billy Frampton
Ineffective as a ruckman but in the second half he used his size and tendency to be aggressive well. Really has to stop giving away silly frees.

18 Jimmy Toumpas
Very good defensive game. Reliable go-to man in the back half for teammates under pressure. One flubbed kickout from the defensive goal-square which saw the ball come back over his head, but that was the only black mark on his game for me.

19 Matthew White
Saw him once, late in the game. A brief run along the wing like he did for the Power in 2014 to deliver a long, curling point.
Edit. The club named him fourth best for us :oops:

23 Matthew Lobbe
He was fine IMO. Useful around the ground, tapped well when used in ruck. Didn't burn me with his shot on goal this week.

25 Logan Austin
Nothing special, not demanding a call-up that I can see.

26 Riley Bonner
Played well in patches but gave away a silly undisciplined free pulling down a Centrals' player who'd been awarded a mark

27 Brett Eddy
Imposing, whether scoring himself or aiding his colleagues. My pick for the Power this week. Probably should have played last Thursday.

28 Willem Drew
Nothing special early IMO, adequate in the second half but then everyone was.
Edit. The club named him second best for us :oops:

30 Joe Atley
Very good game. Deserves senior selection soon.

31 Aidyn Johnson
As with Drew
Edit - except for the being named second best part.

32 Dougal Howard
As with Drew

37 Jesse Palmer
I was disappointed. Did I miss something? A few have suggested he was destined for big things. Not that you'd have thought that from today.

38 Peter Ladhams
A decent rookie game.

40 Jarrod Lienert
Good game. Stronger than a few of the kids who've been on the main list for a few years now

43 Dan Houston
Undoubted talent but IMO was one of a few who didn't switch on until the game had already swung our way.

44 Cameron Hewett
A really good game. Imposed himself on contest after contest. Seemed 6" taller than I remembered.

45 Emmanuel Irra
Nothing super-special but he certainly got involved and was a useful player.

50 Robbie Young
I can't recall seeing him, and I was watching out for him. I may have confused him with Neade though.
Edit. As I'm told later in this thread he played with the Academy side. Was originally listed as part of a 23 man side, later winnowed down to 21. Ditto Louis Sharrad.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Funny few minutes in the last quarter.

There was confusion in the scoreboard pocket as to whether or not the Centrals defender touched the ball from a stray kick before it went out of bounds.

The field and boundary umpire conferred and ruled it hadn't been touched. Summo gets the free kick. And in a moment of dead quiet, another Centrals defender roars:

"YOU'RE F@%KING KIDDING ME!!!"

From here, the ball pretty much goes straight across goal to the lawn bowls pocket where Gus checksides a goal. As the ball's going back to the centre, the ump gives Eddy a free kick 25m out, dead in front. As he lines up...

A rabid Centrals fan in the family area springs from his fold-out chair, rushes to the fence, stops halfway and is like:

"F@%K THIS, F@%K THAT, F@%K YOU, UMPIRE, YA F@%KEN DICKHEAD!!!"

The rabid Centrals fan looked at us laughing our arses off. Embarrassment washed over him. And he trudged back to his fold-out chair...
A relative?

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My take on today. FWIW it's worth noting a whole lot of players who eventually did well struggled in the first half.

Goals: Eddy 4, Monfries 3, Ladhams, Marshall, Johnson 2, White, Lienert, Bonner, Atley, Lobbe.

1 Steven Summerton (c)
Superb all game but was just putting out fires in the first half. VERY damaging in the second half as a reliable back-up to players under pressure and then following up as an efficient distributor. No goals himself but a fair few due to his work.

3 Jake Neade
Worked hard and was kept up forward most of the game. But was kept goalless so working hard is unlikely to impress the Power selection panel.

6 Angus Monfries
Was OK in general and dangerous when he got his chance. I think the 3 goals might make his game look better than it was but I guess it's illustrative to compare him to Neade. He can hurt the opposition with less obvious effort, he must be a chance this week if his cards aren't marked to just see out his contract in the Maggies.

7 Louis Sharrad

13 Todd Marshall
Forgettable 1st half, stellar 3rd quarter. Not a big kid, not especially tall either. But very skilful once he switched on.

14 Billy Frampton
Ineffective as a ruckman but in the second half he used his size and tendency to be aggressive well. Really has to stop giving away silly frees.

18 Jimmy Toumpas
Very good defensive game. Reliable go-to man in the back half for teammates under pressure. One flubbed kickout from the defensive goal-square which saw the ball come back over his head, but that was the only black mark on his game for me.

19 Matthew White
Saw him once, late in the game. A brief run along the wing like he did for the Power in 2014 to deliver a long, curling point.

23 Matthew Lobbe
He was fine IMO. Useful around the ground, tapped well when used in ruck. Didn't burn me with his shot on goal this week.

25 Logan Austin

26 Riley Bonner
Played well in patches but gave away a silly undisciplined free pulling down a Centrals' player who'd been awarded a mark

27 Brett Eddy
Imposing, whether scoring himself or aiding his colleagues. My pick for the Power this week. Probably should have played last Thursday.

28 Willem Drew

30 Joe Atley

31 Aidyn Johnson
As with Drew

32 Dougal Howard
As with Drew

37 Jesse Palmer
I was disappointed. Did I miss something? A few have suggested he was destined for big things. Not that you'd have thought that from today.

38 Peter Ladhams
A decent rookie game.

40 Jarrod Lienert
Good game. Stronger than a few of the kids who've been on the main list for a few years now

43 Dan Houston
Undoubted talent but IMO was one of a few who didn't switch on until the game had already swung our way.

44 Cameron Hewett
A really good game. Imposed himself on contest after contest. Seemed 6" taller than I remembered.

45 Emmanuel Irra

50 Robbie Young
I can't recall seeing him, and I was watching out for him. I may have confused him with Neade though

Agreed re Palmer, he is miles off an AFL call up from what I saw today.
There was one bit of play when he called for a handball in front of the grandstand in the 3rd qtr, had a couple of metres break when he got it, and then appeared to panic his kick, which went out on the full.

Robbie Young played for the academy team. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magpiespower

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gus and Breddy did more than enough to warrant a call-up this week.

Seriously doubt both will get a promotion. But I'd take one. Please.

Brett Eddy, tho. It was so good to watch a natural, leading forward do his thang. Kicked four and gave off two more.

To me, it's utter insanity for our supporters to be calling for a chronic underachiever to be moved forward - even though he isn't a forward and has never played forward - when we've got this bloke waiting in the wings.

The only question is: can Brett translate his outstanding SANFL form to the AFL?

F@%ked if I know but I'd sure as s**t like to find out...

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surprise, surprise. .. crows snafl game will be the telecast game again next week.

#balance

Magpiespower

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geez Summo is a champion footballer, love the guy

Shame he isn't six inches taller. Or lightning quick. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Olympic qualification standard athlete. With some "X factor" beyond being a "natural footballer with a great feel for the game" for scouts to jizz about...

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

1 Steven Summerton (c)

3 Jake Neade

6 Angus Monfries

7 Louis Sharrad

13 Todd Marshall

14 Billy Frampton

18 Jimmy Toumpas

19 Matthew White

23 Matthew Lobbe

25 Logan Austin

26 Riley Bonner

27 Brett Eddy

28 Willem Drew

30 Joe Atley

31 Aidyn Johnson
As with Drew

32 Dougal Howard
As with Drew

37 Jesse Palmer

38 Peter Ladhams
A decent rookie game.

40 Jarrod Lienert

43 Dan Houston

44 Cameron Hewett

45 Emmanuel Irra

50 Robbie Young
I can't recall seeing him, and I was watching out for him. I may have confused him with Neade though
So Eddy to be overlooked then?!

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Like the add: 'CALL FOR A MARSHALL' for our fwd line...like him and he could play a few games as a HFF/FP.
That was "HOLLER FOR A MARSHALL". Just one of the catchprases and songs being used like "SHOW ME THE WAY" and "WE'VE GOT THE BEST EDDY IN THE STATE" to the tune of "He's got the whole world in his hands."

My take on today.
13 Todd Marshall

Haha go stand next to him and you will get an idea how tall he is. He is 198cm.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back