2nds Port Adelaide vs Crows - Round 1 @ Alberton

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We played a very enjoyable brand of football, lots of run, lots of handball and we really ran the Crows off their feet. Good depth across every line, maybe a bit short down back but overall a well rounded team.

Every player was impressive, I guess thats what happens when you win by 16 goals! Loved Atley, loved Garner, loved AJ, Mckenzie was smart, Snelling dominant, Thomas exciting and the SANFL lads all performed well.

New kids:
Hayes - Reminded me a lot of a young Russell Johnston in his movement. Loved his attack at the ball. Took some nice grabs, had some super clever ruck work in the 2nd half and a nice goal as well. He'll play AFL by the end of the year, even though his body may not be ready.

Patmore - Tried to do a bit too much with it on occasion but loved his footy nous, loved his athleticism and the way he cleverly worked out of trouble. Just needs to clean up his disposal a bit but outside of that a very good debut.

Farrell - In and out of the game but thought he had good impact when he was getting a bit of it. Just needs to work himself into the game more.

Garner - Loved his game. Loved it. Yes he only got 4 touches, but he was playing a defensive role. Not just a defensive role, but he was playing on Himmelberg who's a good talent, good athlete, who's 12cm taller than Joel. He kept him to just 2 marks and no scoring shots playing in the forward 50 all day. I really liked Joel last year for his attack from the defensive 50 but today showed that he can shut down a player as well. Great game.

Thomas - Not a kid but kicked 6, our fans would have loved it, Crows fans would have hated it. Was very good, though greedy at times.

Others:
Atley - Is just your stereotypical old school Port footballer. In and under, tough as nails, healthy dose of arrogance, clever. He was BOG for me. Our AFL midfield may be stacked, but we have to get him in the side. He's ready to go.

Johnson - That was the best game i've seen AJ play. Huge impact with the ball, kicked goals, dished them off, ran real hard. Can't wait to see him back in the AFL side soon enough.

Frampton - Thought he showed enough to suggest he should play AFL in the next few weeks. Some real strong grabs, some good ruckwork and 2 goals. Give him a shot.

McKenzie - Strong and reliable down back. He'll play AFL this year and hold his own when he gets his chance. He's good depth.

Johnson just looks very dangerous and I think he would be frightening at afl level when our team gets a run on.

Our depth is pretty good that if needed I wouldn’t flinch if we needed to bring 5 guys in from that side lol. Of course we don’t need to but we have so many I’m happy to play at afl level tommorow

Two team aspects really stood out for me.

Tackling was dead set ferocious especially early when we set the trend for the game. Full chest on tackles smashing the body and bringing players to ground. It broke them early and showed on the scoreboard later. Bloody hell AJ hits them like a rock out of a slingshot.

Set ups around the ball especially in defence were superb. Lost count of the number of times we won the ball in a contest then whipped it out wide then upfield and we were away. Set up so much attacking play. Looks like something that we have worked on extensively over summer as it was set up and executed effortlessly.

2017 group of draftees just slotted straight in and all looked comfortable at this level. Farrell has such clean hands and good judgement. Patmore a superb mover. Garner tight and tough at the back. And Hayes wow just wow. His third quarter was outstanding but he was fiercely competitive from the get go. Marked strongly around the ground and has good footy nous. Can't kick a checkside for s**t through :D

Really enjoyable day at the footy. There will be tougher days but enjoy the beltings of opposition I say. ;)

No idea; I just took as a "complimentary" way to call the Crows' barrackers.
Magoos is rhyming slang for twos ie the B grade eg he got dropped and is playing in the twos this week. Comes from school footy ie you were good enough to make the 1st XVIII or played in the 2nd XVIII
Fruit Tingles is the nickname someone gave the crows when they entered the AFL and their guernsey design reminded that person of the lollies/candy striped Fruit Tingles. Club MC Barry Curtain always refers to the crows as the Fruit Tingles or just Tingles at post game function or club functions during the week.

upload_2018-4-1_0-15-15.jpeg

Last edited:
GremioPower do you remember posting this picture in the nickname sub-committe thread? I said it then, but Sam Willie Mays Hayes is the steal of the 2017 draft. Fantastic 1st up SANFL game.

IMG_0250-1-684x640.jpg

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apart from burning shots at goal in the first half and being a tad rusty with skills early, we were still dominant from the get go. Lots played well but Sam Hayes was impressive and Kane Farrell is silky and plays smart. The contracted players were pretty good. Our attack on the ball and movement was good.

I think Lienert is a bloody good player. He's ready to have a game at afl.

There was a fellow with binoculars observing and writing notes about Atley and Neade.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Neade was awesome. Playing higher up the ground where he has always played his best footy.
Snelling 11 tackles, tough, reads the play so well. Handballs a bit much but a severely underated player on our list.
Atley is a gun.
Irra continued on his improved form from the second half of last year.
Summo had 21 touches to half time, vintage dominant Summo..
Patmore had a huge second half on the ball. Pace, skill, looks a good pick up...
Farrell is one to watch, quick, skillful, tough, great tackler...
Yeah the big number 25... handy debut...
All defenders worked well together, all played well as a team back there...
No idea how to fit him in but mackenzie is pkaying for the power soon...
That strange bloke. 2 ft 6 but a ball of muscle. Really liked his tough attack on the player and the ball.
Levi carried on from the form he showed in the academy side last year..
Kluske, great pick up, another who attacks every contest at 100 mph. Handy in the high half forward role.

The most pleasing aspect was the fierce attack on the ball. Not sure who or how we did it in the off season but geez the tackling in both the crows rnd 1, trial game and the freo game last week was elite, a massive improvement on previous years.

And the game style in both power and maggies games, enjoyable to watch, aggressive and effective no bs footy. Awesome start to the year.

PeacefulWarrior

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 2, 2010
Wynn Vale
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
#Truth

This needs t be he Standard set early and not just getting game on name

No it is not truth.

There is no way Atley is going to replace Rockliff any time soon, what are you smoking.

The guys a “boom recruit” and has come off an interrupted pre season.

There is zero chance he will be dropped.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ladhams is an exciting prospect but he is more long term. He needs time and the club knows it. They are being patient with him while he puts on weight and mostly seem to hide him in a pocket. He doesn’t ruck much at all. The exciting thing is what he does on the one or two occasions he gets near it. Regularly out manoeuvres guys half his size.

Hayes - tap ruckman
Frampton - marking and around the ground
Ladhams - agility and freakish 1 on 1 willpower for size.

Ladhams is the furthest away from afl, but he is a very exciting prospect.

We absolutely have the best and most exciting young developing ruck set that I know of.
And Lade and Paddy to develop them..oh man.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Was it RossFC or you who said a couple of weeks ago we will finish about 5th because we dont have much depth losing too many KPP's - Eddy, Austin, Jacko, Marshall up to the A grade etc and we are forced to play rucks as key forwards and too many Magpies if we have a few injuries?

To be honest it could also have been me, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the 'new look' side.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As has already been said, the speed to get the ball into the open and the tackling by the Maggies was sensational yesterday, as were the debuts of a number of first year players, but I won't be making any predictions for 2018 until I see how they go against the more mature and bigger bodied teams, particularly those that play shut down footy and then try and score on the rebound.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Missed the first quarter but it looked like we had our defensive running downpat for the whole game and then we got our offensive running going in the third quarter and the Crows were unable to stick with us at all.

Thought Atley did really well and Hayes did some very exciting things for a tall man. Irra had plenty of dash in the second half.

First half was pretty poor with the scoreboard conversion but we came good in the 3rd quarter as well as the Crows wilted and let us through the corridor repeatedly.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Neade was awesome. Playing higher up the ground where he has always played his best footy.
Snelling 11 tackles, tough, reads the play so well. Handballs a bit much but a severely underated player on our list.
Atley is a gun.
Irra continued on his improved form from the second half of last year.
Summo had 21 touches to half time, vintage dominant Summo..
Patmore had a huge second half on the ball. Pace, skill, looks a good pick up...
Farrell is one to watch, quick, skillful, tough, great tackler...
Yeah the big number 25... handy debut...
All defenders worked well together, all played well as a team back there...
No idea how to fit him in but mackenzie is pkaying for the power soon...
That strange bloke. 2 ft 6 but a ball of muscle. Really liked his tough attack on the player and the ball.
Levi carried on from the form he showed in the academy side last year..
Kluske, great pick up, another who attacks every contest at 100 mph. Handy in the high half forward role.

The most pleasing aspect was the fierce attack on the ball. Not sure who or how we did it in the off season but geez the tackling in both the crows rnd 1, trial game and the freo game last week was elite, a massive improvement on previous years.

And the game style in both power and maggies games, enjoyable to watch, aggressive and effective no bs footy. Awesome start to the year.
Jack Strange? and ^ Good post.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I won't be making any predictions for 2018 until I see how they go against the more mature and bigger bodied teams, particularly those that play shut down footy and then try and score on the rebound.
Fair enough but our clearance work and those h/balls to create space will stand us in good stead.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Irra's % improvement is amazing, but I fear that in absolute terms, coupled with the strength of of our recruiting for this type of player, he is just not going to make it at Port.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No it is not truth.

There is no way Atley is going to replace Rockliff any time soon, what are you smoking.

The guys a “boom recruit” and has come off an interrupted pre season.

There is zero chance he will be dropped.

Not true at all. Rocky is coming off a injury interrupted year if he can't perofrm like anyone he can be dropped. Got to reward form.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As has already been said, the speed to get the ball into the open and the tackling by the Maggies was sensational yesterday, as were the debuts of a number of first year players, but I won't be making any predictions for 2018 until I see how they go against the more mature and bigger bodied teams, particularly those that play shut down footy and then try and score on the rebound.

I think against some of the sanfl sides we will need huge games from the trio of summo Snelling and atley to win.

We lack size and ballwinners having lost ah Chee and young.

If those 3 fire though once we get it outside we will burn teams with our run and ball use.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I feel a little unclean :rolleyes:, I was about to get into my lad's 1976 Triumph after the game when a male voice behind me said `that's in good nick for an old car!'
I turned around and it was Mark Soderstrom and we had a conversation about cars for a few minutes, he actually came across as a reasonable bloke.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Irra's % improvement is amazing, but I fear that in absolute terms, coupled with the strength of of our recruiting for this type of player, he is just not going to make it at Port.
Why would you say that? A vouple of injuries and he is the perfect player to slot in the half back role.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Was it RossFC or you who said a couple of weeks ago we will finish about 5th because we dont have much depth losing too many KPP's - Eddy, Austin, Jacko, Marshall up to the A grade etc and we are forced to play rucks as key forwards and too many Magpies if we have a few injuries?
Was me and Ross.

This was a good performance but as Ross said, you can't take heaps out of that as the oppo was horrible. I still think when the whips are cracking against the best we may struggle up forward.

Back