Preview Port Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Friday 24/08/18, 7:50 PM AEST

More clangers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/power-off-bombers-grounded-seasons-lost-20180823-p4zzbv.html

I actually agree with Duck and think this is spot-on - can’t bring myself to look at a 11th or 12th place finish as a ‘success’....Hawks, Swans and Cats are burning if they don’t make the big dance year on year, so we shouldn’t be accepting a position 3-4 places outside the top 8. Pressure really needs to go up for next season. Anyway, Just my thoughts :expressionless:

Will need to have a Collingwood like turn around next season no more excues for this club

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/power-off-bombers-grounded-seasons-lost-20180823-p4zzbv.html

I actually agree with Duck and think this is spot-on - can’t bring myself to look at a 11th or 12th place finish as a ‘success’....Hawks, Swans and Cats are burning if they don’t make the big dance year on year, so we shouldn’t be accepting a position 3-4 places outside the top 8. Pressure really needs to go up for next season. Anyway, Just my thoughts :expressionless:

Carey asks why against Hawks and Tigers we kept kicking to their spare defender, well didn’t help that we had no marking forwards plus Raz out v Tigers. No plan B? We only just lost both games!

You’re only as good as your most recent form and we finished strongly unlike Port who are overrated and recruited inconsistent players from other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a pretty reasonable article albeit a bit glass half empty. The truth is the gap between the teams has been pretty small this year, outside of Richmond. If we had a fit and available Fantasia and Daniher combo we probably would have won a couple extra games and we would be lauding this season as a significant success because I think most of us much prefer the style of footy we are playing this year. I know other teams had injuries too but those 2 players are 2 of our top 3 most important players both structurally and in terms of talent. Its not just how many injuries you have but what positions. Injuries to our defense are way easier to cover than to our forward line.

I would also argue our draw was probably one of the absolute toughest in hindsight with double ups vs Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Port and Freo and playing GWS and WC away only. Plus the ANZAC day ultra shortened breaks. In such a tight season it was probably worth at least another win or 2 relative to our competitors. If we had North's draw we easily would have made finals.

Anyway I'd say no matter what we need to be winning a final in 2019 for us to be seen as 'on track'. We will be entering the year with a maturing list with probably 16-18 of our best 22 with 50+ games of experience and pretty much everyone getting games will be 20+ unless we get a draftee who is a true standout for his age (they'd have to be like McGrath, Heppell or Hurley in their first years to get games I'd say). I genuinely believe our list has the talent, we have developed the system and next year we just need to go out and perform.

I wouldn't be shocked if we could jump to top 4 if we have a fit list next year and maybe get one more good midfielder to bolster our ranks.

Can’t wait to see Lav, Francis and Stringer in the one centre bounce. My pants would tear.
Doubt Franga will be there with Hoff, Watts and Ryder/Frampton up forward

Who are the travelling emergencies for this match?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back