AFLW Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't perform a drop kick while being tackled. Its never been a legal disposal.

The simple fact is that Williamson needs to accept that she's failed with the fend off and breaking the tackle, and just bring her arm thats holding the ball up to protect herself in the fall.

The AFL are really, really bad at equalisation. The two main equalisation measures in the competition are the draft and the salary cap. Use them.

Take Port and the Crows as an example. Use the salary cap to give Port an extra $100k to literally buy a top player or two from the Crows. Then give Port every pick in the SA draft - as in, the Crows don't even pick until we're done. Repeat this for a few years all across the league and you'll equalise it in short time.

This isn't a case of rewarding mismanagement or bad performance. It's literally a handicapped start that will have impacts for probably a decade or longer. It needs to be fixed for the good of the competition.

I agree completely with this.

Everyone pissed and moaned about Gold Coast and GWS's entry allowances, but they weren't enough at all. Then with the AFLW they have the chance to learn their lesson from that and do it right, and they make it about as difficult as they possibly could for sides coming in later. Insane decision making.

If they weren't going to significantly help sides coming in later, they should have started all 18 teams at once.

Frustrating way to end the season.

Its been painful watching this side without Gemma because we are just so toothless up forward, no matter how much good work our mids and defence do. Johnson looks like she has potential, but isn't there yet, and Perry and de Melo have looked good in moments but can't get any kind of consistent impact. I wouldn't say we have a forward on our list with goal sense outside of those four, the rest are just filling roles in structure or pressure. Hopefully Levicki can do more up there once McGrath is back next year, but we really need to address this because we can't just rely on Houghton.

Coaching didn't make much sense to me either - Yorston blanketed Prespakis in the first half and was doing a great job, but then we sent Ewings to go head to head with her. Perhaps that's good experience for Hannah but it wasn't the right move for the game and Prespakis just got absolutely off the chain and put the game to bed.

Overall though at least we got a win on the board in our debut season - let's just go get Lauren Young and come back stronger next year.

Also holy ******* s**t the game being filmed with a camera with water on the lens was a level of stupidity I never thought I'd see.

The amount of investment and promotion in this sport for that to happen is utterly mindblowing. How did it not get changed? Or just put something on the top and give it a wipe? Or use the other cameras? Its such a perplexing league sometimes.

Moloney getting suspended for that tackle is absolute bull s**t.

If you try to fend off, the tackler has every right to grab the arm and pull you down. That is called laying a tackle. The tackler is not going to let go and let the player run off.

Match review has lost the plot again.

Thank you Andy Maher. What an absurd decision by the MRP.

I don't have a twitter account (sorry Elon) but clicking on that link and reading the comments as a representative sample shows
  • 98% of people understand tackling
  • 2% of people are North or Crows fans who STILL can't get over JHF going to PAFC!

Moloney had a great debut season but with a probable influx of top 5 young mids and another pre-season in to some others you wouldn't think she would be the biggest loss to us for two games.

I don't think the decision is right but the AFL has always paid on outcome rather than intent or technique*

*except for high profile cases involving players who need to play in important games for big clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moloney had a great debut season but with a probable influx of top 5 young mids and another pre-season in to some others you wouldn't think she would be the biggest loss to us for two games.

I don't think the decision is right but the AFL has always paid on outcome rather than intent or technique*

*except for high profile cases involving players who need to play in important games win the brownlow for big clubs.
EFA :rolleyesv1:

You can't perform a drop kick while being tackled. Its never been a legal disposal.

The simple fact is that Williamson needs to accept that she's failed with the fend off and breaking the tackle, and just bring her arm thats holding the ball up to protect herself in the fall.
Yes you can. It was done many times before players stopped doing the drop kick.

The only legal way you can get rid of the ball if you are held by one arm is to kick it. So with the free arm/hand, you can throw the ball up or down to kick the ball, and if it strikes your boot, it is a legal disposal, therefore dropping/ bouncing the ball on the ground to do a drop kick isn't an illegal action. There is nothing in the rule book that says its an illegal disposal.

The only reason its deemed illegal is because the pants pissers in the umpiring department have never seen it and would panic.

If every footballer in the first round of an AFL match did at least one drop kick each and in the fourth quarter someone doing a don't argue like Williamson was caught by one arm, and bounced the ball with his free hand to do a drop kick, any reasonable, sensible umpire would say yep that's how you do a dropkick, I've seen 50+ this game and that's no different, so play on.

Piss weak that Davies and co aren't challenging the Maria Moloney tackle at the tribunal. Just meekly accepting the MRO. Moloney is allowed to tackle. It was Williamson's momentum that forced her to the ground after trying a don't argue.

They should have at least tested it, so the Tribunal could at least say what Moloney realistically should have done instead.

Last edited:
Piss week that Davies and co aren't challenging the Maria Moloney tackle at the tribunal. Just meekly accepting the MRO. Maloney is allowed to tackle. It was Williamson's momentum that forced her to the ground after trying a don't argue.

They should have at least tested it, so the Tribunal could at least say what Moloney realistically should have done instead.
She'll remember the club not standing up for her.

I’ll be very pissed if we don’t appeal this.

We’ve already been up against it enough with AFLW but Maria Moloney is one of our better players and our young midfield (Ewings, Dowrick, Yorston etc.) would struggle without her.

Yes you can. It was done many times before players stopped doing the drop kick.

The only legal way you can get rid of the ball if you are held by one arm is to kick it. So with the free arm/hand, you can throw the ball up or down to kick the ball, and if it strikes your boot, it is a legal disposal, therefore dropping/ bouncing the ball on the ground to do a drop kick isn't an illegal action. There is nothing in the rule book that says its an illegal disposal.

The only reason its deemed illegal is because the pants pissers in the umpiring department have never seen it and would panic.

If every footballer in the first round of an AFL match did at least one drop kick each and in the fourth quarter someone doing a don't argue like Williamson was caught by one arm, and bounced the ball with his free hand to do a drop kick, any reasonable, sensible umpire would say yep that's how you do a dropkick, I've seen 50+ this game and that's no different, so play on.
You cannot bounce the ball when tackled. A "drop kick" is simply bouncing the ball, and then attempting to kick the ball away after it has bounced.

If a player has no prior opportunity and is tackled, it'll be called play on because the "drop kick" is considered a genuine attempt to legally dispose of the ball. A failed one, but still genuine. If a player is tackled after having prior opportunity to dispose of the ball, then its a free kick for illegal disposal.

You cannot bounce the ball when tackled. A "drop kick" is simply bouncing the ball, and then attempting to kick the ball away after it has bounced.

If a player has no prior opportunity and is tackled, it'll be called play on because the "drop kick" is considered a genuine attempt to legally dispose of the ball. A failed one, but still genuine. If a player is tackled after having prior opportunity to dispose of the ball, then its a free kick for illegal disposal.
A bounce to bounce the ball to run a further 15 metres is about possession, and the player, by the rule, is deemed to be in possession whilst he/she doesn't physically have the ball in their hand.

A drop kick is about kicking the ball as the ball strikes the ground and has nothing to do with retaining possession.

Only logical reason to not challenge Moloney's charge is if she has said she wants to return to Qld and rhe club has said ok, but we arent going to pay the tribunal cost and lawyer's fees.

Only logical reason to not challenge Moloney's charge is if she has said she wants to return to Qld and rhe club has said ok, but we arent going to pay the tribunal cost and lawyer's fees.

I resigned a while ago to the fact that Jacqui Yorston will most likely return to QLD but I’ll be very disappointed if we lost Moloney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back