Autopsy Port Adelaide vs Geelong review

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a horrible undisciplined act by Broadbent. It was so typical on how we treated the whole game.
Surely it would have also been brought up pre game "tackle the SELWOODS low" - nah we wont change = 9 free kicks
The whole team (bar a few) and the coaching staff went into the game with a laissez-faire attitude. Exceptions: Ebert, Wines, Ryder and Polec.

Agreed. Getting the basics right is not rocket science and we are paying Hinkley to make sure these guys tackle properly, understand the rules, kick effectively etc. etc. For a moment there I thought we had progressed in 2017 and put the dumb footy of 2015/16 behind us but in truth we have not and when we come up against a competitive outfit we falter. There has clearly been a message coming through over the past two seasons and just as clearly Ken and co have either not received that message or they have do not possess the ability to act on it. How much longer are we going to put up with losing games we really have the talent to win?

Apologies for the rant as I thought I was moving on but I guess watching the replay of that Geelong game today has rekindled my frustrations and anger. Bring on the Hawthorn game to help put last week's disappointing effort behind me.

Perhaps it's not just the players who require the services of a sports psychologist. Perhaps it's us supporters too. Some of the players may have been burnt by 2007, but we have been burnt by 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2015 & 2016.
Add 01 -03, possibly 05 too

It was a mistake from broady but sensible umpiring would have simply said to the Geelong player you could have easily have put your hands up to grab that so you aren't getting 50. It's not like it was a meter over his head.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't know why they have to throw the ball back anyway. In the old days, you'd just put it on the ground and let the opponent go and get it. I suppose there's a ******* rule against that now too.

Add 01 -03, possibly 05 too

By my estimate,

1997, 1998, 1999, 2004 and 2013 are the five seasons where we've met or exceeded expectations and haven't blown golden opportunities or suffered generation-transcending embarrassment, so as we can genuinely look back at them with pride/accomplishment.

Pick any other year not in this list and it's ranged from severe disappointment to abject disaster.

By my estimate,

1997, 1998, 1999, 2004 and 2013 are the five seasons where we've met or exceeded expectations and haven't blown golden opportunities or suffered generation-transcending embarrassment, so as we can genuinely look back at them with pride/accomplishment.

Pick any other year not in this list and it's ranged from severe disappointment to abject disaster.

Severe disappointment:
2001 (I'm too young)
2002 (no flag)
2003 ^
2005 ^
2006 (missed finals)
2008 (horrible year, all those close losses and right after 2007 too)
2009 (missed finals)
2014(this one hurts me most of all !!!! :( )
2015 (missed finals)
2016 (missed finals)

Abject Disaster:
2007 (nuff said)
2010 (9 game losing streak, Chocco sacked)
2011 (3 fn wins, lost to Gold Coast, 138/165)
2012 (Primus sacked)

Who could have predicted that would happen?

It's Patrick bloody Dangerfield. Not all 18 players on the opposition should be considered equal. Someone, anyone, should have been goal side the whole time with no intent other than stopping him getting the footy with enough time to do what he did.

It's Patrick bloody Dangerfield. Not all 18 players on the opposition should be considered equal. Someone, anyone, should have been goal side the whole time with no intent other than stopping him getting the footy with enough time to do what he did.
We do it all the time.
For a moment there I thought we had progressed in 2017 and put the dumb footy of 2015/16 behind us but in truth we have not and when we come up against a competitive outfit we falter.
Only difference between this year and last is that we have Ryder. This year was over in round 3 when we let Adelaides one-man midfield get 24 contested touches.

It's under 12 stuff in any sport really.

I mean I would never predict MJ Lebron Curry could do what they do, you just don't leave them ever to give them the opportunity to win the game for their team whether the opportunity arises or not.

... one thing that has been overlooked a bit or perhaps i haven't read back enough pages is Matty Broadbent's 50 metre that resulted in a goal. Not sure what the hell he was thinking, 50 is harsh for those sorts of things but is it really hard to throw the ball back to someone accurately and not over there head? Never really understood how that stuff keeps happening at AFL level, it it frustration, tiredness, lack of concentration.

If someone asked me to under arm throw a football to someone 5 metres away 100 times, i reckon i could hit them on the tit 100 times.
Dangerfield was walking backwards so Broadbent lobbed the ball high to where he thought Dangerfield would be, a few steps back from where he actually stopped. Dangerfield seeing that Broadbent had lobbed the ball high just stopped and watched the ball go over his head. Players often lob the ball back high for maximum hang time to give teammates time to man up. Broady misjudged it slightly and Dangerfield milked it for a 50.

Dangerfield was walking backwards so Broadbent lobbed the ball high to where he thought Dangerfield would be, a few steps back from where he actually stopped. Dangerfield seeing that Broadbent had lobbed the ball high just stopped and watched the ball go over his head. Players often lob the ball back high for maximum hang time to give teammates time to man up. Broady misjudged it slightly and Dangerfield milked it for a 50.

They haven't been paying those type of 50s for years now.

But get Port down to Kardinia Park and it's all 'well, it's technically there Port!!'.

IIRC, Dangerfield was walking away from the boundary (sideways from where he was) Broadbent was looking the other way and threw as he turned towards Dangerfield. It looked to me like he threw it where he thought Dangerfield was (slightly to Dangerfield's right hand side and high)

It is a very technical calling of the rule but I get why they have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC, Dangerfield was walking away from the boundary (sideways from where he was) Broadbent was looking the other way and threw as he turned towards Dangerfield. It looked to me like he threw it where he thought Dangerfield was (slightly to Dangerfield's right hand side and high)

It is a very technical calling of the rule but I get why they have it.
I'll admit I haven't bothered going back and watching the incident again but my impression was that Broadbent threw the ball to where he expected Dangerfield to be. Your explanation may well be more accurate than mine although I recall, rightly or wrongly, that the ball passed over Dangerfield's head. :)

I reckon Broadbent was just unlucky there, he doesn't seem the type to do it deliberately.

What shits me is when players stand over the ball, bend over and hover their hands over it pretending like they are going to pick it up, wait until the player who received the free walks over to get it themselves, then pick it up and toss it back as slow as possible.

THAT should be fifty.

I can't recall the actual incident because I was probably on the computer at the time, but if Broady threw the ball to where he thought Dangermouse was going to be, that unfortunately belongs in the same category as Westhoff kicking to where he thought the goals were. o_O

Put simply, those two boys c*cked up! :rolleyes:

I reckon Broadbent was just unlucky there, he doesn't seem the type to do it deliberately.

What shits me is when players stand over the ball, bend over and hover their hands over it pretending like they are going to pick it up, wait until the player who received the free walks over to get it themselves, then pick it up and toss it back as slow as possible.

THAT should be fifty.
Why?

Isn't that the smart thing to do?

Minimises the risk of an errant throw, although if it was me, I wouldn't throw it back at all, I'd just stand there.

Why?

Isn't that the smart thing to do?

Minimises the risk of an errant throw, although if it was me, I wouldn't throw it back at all, I'd just stand there.
Because it wastes like 10 seconds every single time. It's annoying af

I was feeling reasonably confident of a Port win early in the last quarter. I thought we were on top albeit only slightly. If only we managed to kick another goal ahead - reckon that would have been enough to secure the win.

In the end too many of the what-if moments went in Geelong's favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back