Port Adelaide vs Geelong - rivalry brewing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
25 seasons in the AFL together and already faced each other in the finals 5 times.

Ken and G Hocking in the coaches box for the Power and both Geelong club greats.
Chris Scott in the coaches box for Geelong who got rejected by Port Adelaide before he got the job at Geelong.

2004 qualifying final which was a major stepping stone for the Power given their previous chokes in finals, this was the biggest stepping stone for the Power to winning the flag.

2007 grand final which was an all time record margin and Geelong's famous drought breaking premiership victory.

2013 semi final which turned out to be Paul Chapman's last game wearing the hoops.

This rivalry doesn't really get talked about but it's underrated and doesn't get the respect it deserves. Rivalry has been brewing for a while now.

I guess? A rivalry can't be forced though, and I just don't think Geelong or Port care about each other beyond what is normal for the opposition. Heck on here is usually a good indication of a rivalry; Hawthorn and Geelong, Port and Adelaide, Carlton and Collingwood etc etc. Do Geelong and Port posters give each other s**t more then anyone else? I doubt it.

I just don't think it is there.

More of a chip on the shoulder due to our poor overall record against the Cats and that year that has been neutralised from my brain. P:36 W:11 D:1 L:24 (32%) our worst record against any opposing club.

On the bright side, our current progression against the Cats from the last 5 games is L,W,L,W,L. Hopefully for us, the progression continues in this instance only.

I think we hate them more then they us. Doubt Cats Fans really give a turd about Port Other than "lol 119"
Which is understandable, they earnt that.

Imo we have a bigger rivalry with the Eagles than Cats, and even thats Not really a rivalry.

Port fans don't really like Geelong (in general) but I'd be surprised if Geelong cared about Port at all. Can't really be a rivalry if it's one way. We'll need to give them more reason to hate us starting this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no hatred of Port.
They smashed us in finals in 2004- went on to win that flag.
We repaid them in 07.
But I respect them a lot.
They are hard to beat when we have a full list; more so now.
My pick for premiers and as it's unlikely to be against us, good luck to them.
I think it'll be Port/ Lions or Port/Demons.

Port fans don't really like Geelong (in general) but I'd be surprised if Geelong cared about Port at all. Can't really be a rivalry if it's one way. We'll need to give them more reason to hate us starting this week.
I prefer you to 16 other clubs and losing won’t change that. Ever since you know what happened there’s been a soft spot but great day honestly.

It's funny how Power fans liked Geelong briefly after Dangerfield signed with the Cats. Now they hate Geelong again.
Similar to how Power fans liked us briefly following the 2017 grand final. Now they hate us again.

It's funny how Power fans liked Geelong briefly after Dangerfield signed with the Cats. Now they hate Geelong again.
Similar to how Power fans liked us briefly following the 2017 grand final. Now they hate us again.

I don't really hate Richmond at all, nothing but respect really. I think generally there's a healthy level of respect for Richmond given there has been a strong Port connection in your coaches box. We've had some really good matches over the last few years. I don't like Tom Lynch but surely even you guys don't like Tom Lynch.

Geelong is different. The Grand Final is obviously massive but they've just had some very frustrating wins over us over the journey, as well as having a lot of players I don't like at all. I have a fair bit of respect for them as a club but I like to see them lose.

Agree with what others have said, I only care about them when we play them like any other team. I do hope this year though we can pay them back for last year, that's about it.

If we lose, then I won't hate Port for it.

25 seasons in the AFL together and already faced each other in the finals 5 times.

Ken and G Hocking in the coaches box for the Power and both Geelong club greats.
Chris Scott in the coaches box for Geelong who got rejected by Port Adelaide before he got the job at Geelong.

2004 qualifying final which was a major stepping stone for the Power given their previous chokes in finals, this was the biggest stepping stone for the Power to winning the flag.

2007 grand final which was an all time record margin and Geelong's famous drought breaking premiership victory.

2013 semi final which turned out to be Paul Chapman's last game wearing the hoops.

This rivalry doesn't really get talked about but it's underrated and doesn't get the respect it deserves. Rivalry has been brewing for a while now.

Scott was in the losing Lions side back in 2004 when Port won it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back