2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 3 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just got home from the game, Doogs was excellent, and Howard wasn't bad either ( thanks cookie boy ;) ),
2 or 3 more games with the Maggies and he should be pushing for selection with the Power.

I thought the Maggies first half was very ordinary ( just goes to show how people can see the same thing differently ), the chooks set up much better than we did, plus they were given way too much space when going through half forward.
They also attacked through the bowling green flank in the 2nd term, which was the correct side of the ground going to that end, and scored some nice long goals because of it.

The Maggies wasted most of the first qtr to that end by trying to score from the scoreboard pocket, but when we changed tactics to attack through the correct flank in the 3rd we blew them away.

I was a bit disappointed in Ladhams, at times today he looked like he was running in quicksand, he is not as athletic as I had been lead to believe.
He has got plenty of time on his side at only 19 though, but I would love to be as sure of winning X- Lotto, as I am that he will drop down to the academy when the rock lobster is available.

Portstar Johnny

Debutant
Jul 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure what game some of you blokes were watching. From where I was sitting Toumpas burnt only one kick. Not hearing about his defensive grabs, heaps of one percenters and 4 great kicks to set up shots on goal. He was my second best on ground after Summo. Palmer was very good and Arch was great too. I think some people wish our players ill for some reason. Why is that??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They also attacked through the bowling green flank in the 2nd term, which was the correct side of the ground going to that end, and scored some nice long goals because of it.

The Maggies wasted most of the first qtr to that end by trying to score from the scoreboard pocket, but when we changed tactics to attack through the correct flank in the 3rd we blew them away.
Out of curiosity, what makes one flank better than the other? I assume it wasn't the wind as there wasn't much.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Liked Dougs game. Still think Aussie getting his game back but early days. Like Atleys second half. Toumpass got a lot of ball and did very well but Im not convinced he can transition to a faster afl. Unfortunately Snelling looked slow today.

Lienert kicked a beautiful goal and Achee and Marshall had some great moments.

Second week in a row we started without conviction but for this week it was a merciful thing as North would have been anniliated.

Bonner some nice long accurate kicks to advantage but needs to work harder defensively. Cant work out how I feel about Framptons game.

Very disappointed with Neades game.

I'm not sure what game some of you blokes were watching. From where I was sitting Toumpas burnt only one kick. Not hearing about his defensive grabs, heaps of one percenters and 4 great kicks to set up shots on goal. He was my second best on ground after Summo. Palmer was very good and Arch was great too. I think some people wish our players ill for some reason. Why is that??

Yep this is correct. Only 1 clanger from what I saw.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was a bit disappointed in Ladhams, at times today he looked like he was running in quicksand, he is not as athletic as I had been lead to believe.
He has got plenty of time on his side at only 19 though, but I would love to be as sure of winning X- Lotto, as I am that he will drop down to the academy when the rock lobster is available.
Ladhams had a bit of a stinker today. He coughed the ball up just about every disposal. He was much better last week. I like the look of him long term though. He can clunk a decent mark and moves like a proper footballer.

Loved Dougie today. Can't wait for him to get back in the seniors. Arch could have kicked 6 goals. Very exciting first quarter from Marshall but not much after that.

A highlight for me was watching the group of 20 or 30 chooks supporters in front of the Williams stand go from cocky, mouthy strutting bantams to very quiet feather dusters in the space of about half an hour.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of curiosity, what makes one flank better than the other? I assume it wasn't the wind as there wasn't much.

There was definitely a breeze blowing across the ground from the bowling green flank, you may have noticed if you were there that the windsock indicated that, on some occasions it was parallel with the ground.
The chooks attacked regularly through the grandstand wing to that flank in the 2nd term and scored some nice goals to that end, whereas the Maggies attacked mainly through the score board side in the first qtr for not much return.

I went for a walk from the member's stand to the outer at half time and was quite surprised with how much wind there was at times, but I was only over there for about 5 minutes and went back to the members for the start of the 3rd term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Based on today's performance, Jimmy Toumpas only needs to string along a few games like that with the 2's and he could knocking on the door for a Power selection. Not sure who he would replace?

Based on today's performance, Jimmy Toumpas only needs to string along a few games like that with the 2's and he could knocking on the door for a Power selection. Not sure who he would replace?
We have a plethora of light flankers to choose from.

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just reiterating how impressive Howard was today. Totally fearless at every overhead contest, despite this being only his 3rd game back from a knee reco, and his skills were also impressive. Best big Port man on the ground imo.
Atley was a little wasteful in the first half but he has the makings of an excellent contested ball midfielder.
Thought White played his role well today.
Arch had a good game and has been noted by others, he could easily have had a 6 goals return by the final siren.
Neade, Russell and Snelling all won critical, contested situations in the second half.
Summo as usual never made a mistake.
North were easily the better side in the first half but had seemingly expended all their petrol tickets and became witches hats after half time.

Last edited:

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
5. Palmer
4. AhChee
3. Summerton
2. Bonner
1. Toumpas

Honourable mentions: Dougal, Atley, White, Young, Neade, Marshall, Lienert.

Probably easier to list the players that need to improve. I'd go with Drew, that's all. Would like to see more from him, because even the few touches he did get, especially through the middle going forward, he wasted by rushing when he was running in time and space.

Portstar Johnny

Debutant
Jul 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I liked palmer too, but she lost me with Bonner comments and then not naming him in the bests. She's got bugger all idea on the game. Why do we employ such a nobody to do these write ups? Makes us look second rate....
I dont think we employ her. I think she writes for the local Messenger paper and we take her copy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back