2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 7 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable win, a handful of AFL fringe players and the rest amateur/country footballers, and they bang on about what an advantage we have ! **** you North Adelaide.
Honestly, given how undermanned we are this year. Our performance has been phenomenal. This win the cream on top of a magnificent start.

It does pose a questions though.

- Are our top ups the best batch of top ups we've had? Aldridge, Samblich, Corcoran, Edwards, etc?
- Has the SANFL quality fallen off a cliff since COVID? Last year the SANFL teams seemed really weak, 2019 the comp was strong enough to resist a max strength Port Magpies, but this year we have a bunch of ammos pushing us into the top5, with our only losses by small margins against teams above us.
- Is the Power gameplan just working at the lower level?
- Are the Power players that are there just holding it all together beyond belief? Hayes, Mayes, Lienert, Garner?

One thing is for sure. If we can get some players back, we may actually be a silly shot at something this year.

The sanfl contracted players have fitted so well into the team gameplan. Their contribution has been first rate.

This is despite us having a demanding injury list and an unbalanced side. The third quarter was a nightmare, North seemed to be walking it into their F50 and either marking uncontested or in major size mismatches.

But we found a way to win with Hayes, Mayes and Schofield contributing significantly. But Wong was in it up to his eyeballs and guys like Moore, Edwards and Corcoran contributing significantly. Weidemann has a fair set of hands on him too.

Also Goldsack's experience in the crucial final minutes was immensely important.

Honestly, given how undermanned we are this year. Our performance has been phenomenal. This win the cream on top of a magnificent start.

It does pose a questions though.

- Are our top ups the best batch of top ups we've had? Aldridge, Samblich, Corcoran, Edwards, etc?
- Has the SANFL quality fallen off a cliff since COVID? Last year the SANFL teams seemed really weak, 2019 the comp was strong enough to resist a max strength Port Magpies, but this year we have a bunch of ammos pushing us into the top5, with our only losses by small margins against teams above us.
- Is the Power gameplan just working at the lower level?
- Are the Power players that are there just holding it all together beyond belief? Hayes, Mayes, Lienert, Garner?

One thing is for sure. If we can get some players back, we may actually be a silly shot at something this year.
It's somewhat ironic that the absolute worst game of the season was against Norwood when we would've had the most AFL players in the team.

Yesterday I felt it was about belief. The AFL boys had belief in the contracted guys that when it was their turn to go they would go. There's probably an argument that having a core group of players together is more conducive to winning than having superstars like Rockliff and co parachuting into games.

Last edited:

I should have mentioned Woodcock's game too. In the first three quarters he was - as the old time commentators would say - like salt and pepper. He was in everything.

He was a big part of how we were still in the game at three quarter time. He had 18 disposals and kicked 3.2 to that time. Port took him off to be the traveling emergency.

He made a few mistakes but at least he made them trying to be creative around goals. Woody was a constant threat.

A great day at Alberton yesterday. So glad I went. Weather was perfect, ground looked amazing and football was quality.

Umpires were the fairest I have seen this year in the SANFL. A few mistakes but in all pretty fair.

Sam Hayes continues to dominate the ruck contest. I just worry about his disposal a little. I think he will get there but I can actually see why they are playing Ladhams over him in the AFL. Its a tough one because I think Hayes would dominate most AFL ruckman (other than the obvious 3) in hitouts.

Freddy impressed me. I feel he has extra confidence after his stint in the AFL and would have had him in the bests. He was everywhere. So much run and so much speed.

Woodcock was great. Looking like a player that wants to go up a level.

Taj is growing in front of our very eyes. His body is getting stronger by the day and his disposal is quality.

Garner was solid down back. Very strong in his one on ones and clean with the ball

Jace Burgoyne is going to be a player and a half. We rarely used him when he was available for an outlet kick so his numbers weren't great but everything he did was super clean. I remember in the last quarter the ball bounced high about 5 - 10 metres in front of him. Most players would be in 2 minds whether to attack or wait but he just timed it perfectly. Just a natural footballer in every way.

I know Lienert was playing as a KPP which is not his go, but I thought he was pretty average. He often showed a lack of intensity. Maybe a bit harsh but not what I want to see from what should be our next in line for AFL backman duties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back