2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

What? Garner was a shining light in a really bad day. Marshall was good early before getting injured and Thomas getting some goals was good also.

Yeah I enjoyed that 15-20 minute chat that covered lots of areas.

Good on Josh Carr for giving Jenny a call. Jacob Surjan is also at North so they a little team within the off field team. He is in his last year of 3 year contract at North so he had to do something after going 4-14 in both of his two previous seasons. She must be helping, given they are top of the table. Said she has offered to help Port, but she hasn't received any favourable replies from the club.

She made an interesting comment about injured North player James Craig who was on the bench for the reserves team. He was on Adelaide's list 6 or 7 years ago, he was injured, but was talking to the payers as they came off and encouraging them. She reckons he was probably worth 3 goals to their reserves side.

She was right that the Maggies were playing in a very dispirited way. She said the gap between the 2 sides wasnt that big, but if you are playing with a negative attitude and no positive re-enforcement then you wont play well. She talked about Jasper going backwards with all the negativity and then 5 minutes later he comes up and says hello, they give each other a hug and Ford and I said goodbye to them. I hope she can talk to Jasper and pep him up because he needs something to get him back to 2016 form.

We talked about what's happened to the Magpies. Talked a bit about Choco. Jenny reckons he would be great fit for the academy programs teaching more than just footy stuff, and said he would do a great job there. Said she didn't think Choco's wife wants to come back to Adelaide. Janus I mentioned the China academy idea that if it was fully funded and tied in with other elite sports in Shanghai and education stuff and if Choco would be interested in that, and she didn't dismiss the idea.

She is a strong smart women so she would stir things up where ever she goes. The Rob Gerard and Yiros nights story was interesting. Hope she gets her reward if North do pull off the flag. Any AFLW club would be mad not to ask her to get her involved. Maybe that is the way she gets back involved with the club if she threatens a few of the blokes. When we finally get an AFLW team, Erin Phillips as coach and Jenny as Footy Ops manager and her mentor. Would make for an interesting off field team I reckon.

I have mixed feelings on the Jenny William's situation, as it appears to me that rightly or wrongly the new hierarchy made the decision virtually from day one to move on from any connection to the William's clan, and I doubt that will change whilst KT and Koch are involved.

I have mixed feelings on the Jenny William's situation, as it appears to me that rightly or wrongly the new hierarchy made the decision virtually from day one to move on from any connection to the William's clan, and I doubt that will change whilst KT and Koch are involved.
The big cut came with Duncanson and Haysman over Choco and Jenny was part of that fall out. I think it was Haysman and Choco who butted heads and Duncanson hated the 30 June 2009 clause in his contract. Duncanson was still around for KT's first 15 months in the CEO's job, so I have no doubt he was influenced by his thinking. Jenny ran for the board in 2013 and I dont think she was the right candidate for the job given the shackles we were trying to break.

But she has plenty of world class sports skills that the club could use. She could even do private mentoring sessions with the older players who have a relationship with her. The academy stuff and women's program would be a way back in for her IMO.

The big cut came with Duncanson and Haysman over Choco and Jenny was part of that fall out. I think it was Haysman and Choco who butted heads and Duncanson hated the 30 June 2009 clause in his contract. Duncanson was still around for KT's first 15 months in the CEO's job, so I have no doubt he was influenced by his thinking. Jenny ran for the board in 2013 and I dont think she was the right candidate for the job given the shackles we were trying to break.

But she has plenty of world class sports skills that the club could use. She could even do private mentoring sessions with the older players who have a relationship with her. The academy stuff and women's program would be a way back in for her IMO.
Could Choco's introduction into the club's Hall of Fame represent the end of this internal strife?

Could Choco's introduction into the club's Hall of Fame represent the end of this internal strife?

I dont know if internal strife is the right phrase, but Jenny did confirm when Choco got the call at the start of the year for his invite for the induction to the Hall of Fame, it was the first official contact he had from an employee of the club since he was dismissed in 2010.

The Premiership side meets in Melbourne every year the day before the Grand Final, so whilst he still has contact with Port people and some of those players have held official positions for the club in the football department eg Bishop, Thurstans, Carr, Primus, Kingsley, Wilson, Lade, Chad Cornes, etc they meet as private individuals not as a club official.

It has always irked me that for a club who always backs its own and preaches so hard about heart and soul and looking after each other, that we haven't done more in regards to Choco. I understand it works two ways, but when you hear we haven't spoken to him since 2010, that's not great. Things appear to be slowly being repaired - no matter what way you look at it, he's a port hall of famer and a premiership coach for us. How it ended was an absolute cluster* no one would have survived, not even a Williams. So why we have continued to punish him through what amounts to exile is a little unfair in my book.

He's a strong personality, he tried to do everything to win us games - and that may have exacerbated our problems at times, but there is no ******* way in hell that Choco wasn't always trying to win for us all. However in hindsight, would you have expected a Williams to behave any differently? He's a product of our own system. Look after your players, win footy games and * the rest.

It has always irked me that for a club who always backs its own and preaches so hard about heart and soul and looking after each other, that we haven't done more in regards to Choco. I understand it works two ways, but when you hear we haven't spoken to him since 2010, that's not great. Things appear to be slowly being repaired - no matter what way you look at it, he's a port hall of famer and a premiership coach for us. How it ended was an absolute cluster**** no one would have survived, not even a Williams. So why we have continued to punish him through what amounts to exile is a little unfair in my book.

He's a strong personality, he tried to do everything to win us games - and that may have exacerbated our problems at times, but there is no ******* way in hell that Choco wasn't always trying to win for us all. However in hindsight, would you have expected a Williams to behave any differently? He's a product of our own system. Look after your players, win footy games and **** the rest.

It really hasn't been that long since hes been gone and hes been in the AFL system at other clubs. Who do we expect should have been keeping in contact with him? The whole thing is a bit overstated imo.

It really hasn't been that long since hes been gone and hes been in the AFL system at other clubs. Who do we expect should have been keeping in contact with him? The whole thing is a bit overstated imo.
Agree, I cant see why Port should officially contact Choco since he moved on (with a nice contract payout).
Clubs have to move forward - Choco took up coaching positions and now runs a football/mentoring business which is all good.
Have Ports officially contacted Matty Primus?
Lets leave the Williams era to history, except for reunions, thanks

I saw Choco and Stephen Williams at what I was told was a fund raising function at Alberton late last year.
Neither appeared to be there in any official capacity, and from my observations they looked to be no more than casual observers.

I would hope that all members of the William's family would be welcome at the club at any time, but I suspect a lot more water will need to flow under the bridge before any of them would be considered for an official role.

List management and coaching departments, asking a question or two about players, tactics? Social Communication, congratulating him on the aniversary of our AFL Flag? Nothing serious, but a 'hello' from time to time can make wonders!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List management and coaching departments, asking a question or two about players, tactics? Social Communication, congratulating him on the aniversary of our AFL Flag? Nothing serious, but a 'hello' from time to time can make wonders!

Why would clubs be communicating on tactics?

Agree, I cant see why Port should officially contact Choco since he moved on (with a nice contract payout).
Clubs have to move forward - Choco took up coaching positions and now runs a football/mentoring business which is all good.
Because he is a Port legend and that is what real footy clubs do.

We are a family not a corporation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Because he is a Port legend and that is what real footy clubs do.

We are a family not a corporation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He left in 2010, worked at Richmond from 2013-2017 (in which time the entire regime at Port changed over) and inducted him to the HOF at the first opportunity. What is the problem exactly, KT didnt call a rival club employee and say g'day?

Fine here in Nice, france and a day tour coming up.
Disappointing result from the magpies.
But it is about developing players for the afl. I wonder if chad cornes being a competitive person was more about winning, which is not necessarily contrary from winning to keepthe coaching job.
You would have to think that as a team they will respond, but i look to see individual stats.

Exactly. Not sure what type of contact Choco is expecting.

And I suspect he's full of s**t anyway because I'm sure he was contacted by someone from the club regarding the 10 year reunion of the 2004 premiership in 2014.

There have been 3 events that Choco should have been contacted by the club in an official capacity - the 2014 premiership reunion, the 2016 induction into of Stephen into the HoF and Choco's HoF.

I suspect Jenny and/or Mark have said they haven't had any official contact as a throw away line and they are probably wrong.

The 2014 premiership reunion was changed from a big event to a small personal event after the unexpected finals charge of 2014 meant people didnt have much money left and the reunion didn't sell well but Choco turned up as per pictures in this thread.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2004-premiership-reunion-your-predictions.1080705/

2. Stephen William' induction into Port's HoF in 2016. No idea if this occurred. 3. His induction in HoF earlier this year which obviously happened.

You would hope that when Choco was involved in GWS and Richmond in games against Port in Adelaide there was a bit of a welcome to Choco and not totally ignoring him. Bobby Davis used to always be there at Kardinia Park to welcome Port when Matty Primus was captain as a mark of respect to Primus' grandfather and Geelong great, both premiership player/captain and coach Reg Hickey. Not saying that we had to be that formal, but that at least there was a bit of a warm welcome back.

I dont know what Jenny and/or Mark want but there should be a cordial relationship between the club and Choco. Carlton sacked both Robert Walls and David Parkin and they have a warm relationship. Maybe that's what Jenny and Choco are getting at.

Same with the late Tom Hafey and Richmond for the last 20 years of Tommy's life.

Last edited:
I54gTed.png

2keOMFU.png

Interesting Cam Hewett best. Was much better on the ball in the second half. Where he plays his best footy and for me there is little between Hewett and Atley as mids.

I probably would have named Hayes among the best for Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back