2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

This, on the back of what I've already seen is why Toumpas will never make it.

I've said before I went to a training session about a week before the internal trial.
Ball coming out of the back pocket southern end. Toumpas breaks for a clear pass at CHB. Is aware a team mate is breaking on the members side. Drops mark a CHB, obviously trying to move it on before he had it, has enough time to regather, but still persists in kicking to the bloke on the members side, who by this stage was not clear, Westhoff I think intercepts the mark and kicks a goal. It was at this point I realised Jimmy Toumpas will never make it.

My reviews
Ladhams lead really well up forward and got a nice goal on the boundary.
I love Reynolds. 3 goals for him and great leading from him too. Our forward entries looked pretty good today.
Monfries played at half forward and couldn't really get going.
Johnson I really like his toughness despite his size. Tackles and bumps guys way bigger than him.
Frampton keeps developing well in the ruck and clucked a mark and kicked a goal as well.
Palmer got a nice goal early but needs to get in the game more.
Irra is a good athlete and could be good off half back, but burnt 2 players on his right in different parts of the game and turned it over.
Ah Chee had a step in the right direction but needs to improve if he wants an AFL spot.
Toumpas didn't run and defend hard enough and also his disposal was terrible. I thought he was good in the 2nd quarter but that's about it.
Drew was a target in the defensive midfield area and a lot of our kicks out of defence were to him and he set a lot of things up, good job.
Lienert is a terrific kick and had a very good game as a tall defender.
Krakouer didn't do much. Needs to pull his finger out if he wants to play AFL.
Hewett I feel was a bit quiet, I'm guessing he's one of those players that builds over the year. Going off last year.
Austin looks fit and was big part of the great defence today. Call him up.
Rudloff had a good performance, I reckon this season will be very important for him. Could be a smokey to get drafted.
Lobbe I think took 3 or 4 marks. Had a bunch of taps but his impact wasn't really positive.
Snelling for mine was BOG. Completely dominated in the middle. Call him up too.
Summerton didn't really play in the middle, more as an outside mid. Probably down on his form a bit compared to past years.
Miller from the Academy is a really good find here. Great forward pressure and set up a few goals too. Give him a Maggies contract.
Sharrad was consistent over the 4 quarters without being outstanding. Solid game.
Robbie Young wasn't as good as Miller but he put in a good shift as a small forward too with the same traits.
Corcoran I think played in defence didn't really have much of an impact.
Ross came on in defence as a sub. Didn't do much.
Marshall came on up forward as a sub. Great forward pressure, smothered a few kicks, spoiled a ball and won the ball while outnumbed, kicked a couple of goals too.
Baron came on as a sub, saw him chip the ball twice when the game was pretty much over.

Last edited:
This, on the back of what I've already seen is why Toumpas will never make it.

I've said before I went to a training session about a week before the internal trial.
Ball coming out of the back pocket southern end. Toumpas breaks for a clear pass at CHB. Is aware a team mate is breaking on the members side. Drops mark a CHB, obviously trying to move it on before he had it, has enough time to regather, but still persists in kicking to the bloke on the members side, who by this stage was not clear, Westhoff I think intercepts the mark and kicks a goal. It was at this point I realised Jimmy Toumpas will never make it.

So a player fumbled, made an incorrect decision which led to a turnover goal. To be fair that is an entirely new dynamic for us as Port supporters to watch someone come out of defence, not execute his skills and decision making as he would like with the result being a goal over his head.

He's 23.

So a player fumbled, made an incorrect decision which led to a turnover goal. To be fair that is an entirely new dynamic for us as Port supporters to watch someone come out of defence, not execute his skills and decision making as he would like with the result being a goal over his head.

He's 23.

Does it way too often. Consistently. His basic skill error against the Crers gave them the game when we were threatening to steal it late last year. He doesn't have it unfortunately. Wish I was wrong, but am 98% sure I'm not.

Toump is O'Shea 2.0

Does some nice things that make you think he might just be an AFL footballer, then his brain will have a case of violent diarrhoea and you'll realise why Melbourne wiped their hands of him.

I hate to say it, because I hate writing off our own players. But he just won't make it. The bad far outweighs the good.

I love Reynolds
Me too. At times today he looked a class above.
Frampton keeps developing well in the ruck and clucked a mark + goal as well.
He cluncked more than a few marks. All up I thought he played really well. When in ruck our clearances were much better
wtf was that episode on the western wing all about. He'll get himself reported one day. Grow a longer fuse Billy no wonder
you were dragged. Imo he's gunna be a very important player for us if he gets a decent /fair chance.
Lienert is a terrific kick and had a very good game as a tall defender.
Some of his long passes to open up the oppo were wow stuff. This kid can really play.
Snelling for mine was BOG completely dominated in the middle. Call him up too.
:thumbsu: If he's breathing down Sammy's neck then Sammy, who is going not too bad atm, should be nervous
Miller from the Academy is a really find here. Great forward pressure and set up a few goals too. Give him a Maggies contract.
My bold :thumbsu: Couldn't have done more for his cause. He played like he really wanted to make a statement. Made an impression on me.
Marshall came on up forward as a sub. Great defensive pressure, smothered a few kicks, spoiled a ball and won the ball while outnumbed, kicked a couple of goals too.
1st game n all but the class is obvious.

He'll get himself reported one day. Grow a longer fuse Billy no wonder
you were dragged. Imo he's gunna be a very important player for us if he gets a decent /fair chance.
I like hearing this it's like a throw back to ports past, get the balance right between aggression & insanity and we might have a beast on our hands.

Took at least 4 but I can't recall one that was contested. He was doing a good job of dropping back to cover the space North were kicking into though.
Not quite sure why Lobbe never jumps at the ball. (Or ever jumps for that matter). He is way to easy to nullify when just standing flat. Both frampton and ladhams took some nice grabs leading and jumping. Very hard to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An enjoyable arvo of sanfl footy today. We played well and met the owner of Halix Wines on the western mound, talking all things ports and reds added to the enjoyment.

Ladhams - will benefit greatly from having Lade as a coach. The kid knows how to play like a forward not just a big dopey lump of a ruckman who rests up forward. Like Lade he knows how to read the ball coming into the forward line, where to lead and is a good kick. He is a little skinnier than I thought based on Power Pete's photo's from training but was too big for his defenders. Will be tested later in the season against some of the bigger, stronger SANFL defenders.

Lienert - Not quiet as impressive as the trial match, but played well and a couple of times used that weapon kick of his to beautiful advantage.

Snelling - the no.9 jumper, the hair cut, the little stocky upper body and then pinching the ball out of odd positions at a stoppage and I wondered if I was watching Robbie Gray a couple of times. The kid is a clearance machine at this level. Hope he can do it at AFL level when he gets a go.

Marshall - I have talked a lot about him in the Todd Marshall thread, but very impressed with him.

Frampton - Wild Billy loves a niggle. Every chance to get stuck into an opponent, protect a team mate, push an oppo player off his team mate, Wild Billy took up the opportunity. Not bad in the ruck. Gave away some kgs to James Craig but thought he competed well.

Krak - good first quarter and a bit but didn't see much of him in the 2nd half.

Monfries - didn't do much but pretty sure he was rested after half time.

Toumpas - did some nice bits of play, 3 or 4 clean kicks and good movement thru the middle and then would go unsighted for 8 to 10 minutes and do the odd clanger kick.

Austin - didn't pick up it was him until late in the second quarter. The longer hair and thin black headband threw me. Reads the play well, took some good defensive marks by being in the right place rather than intercept marks. A couple of times he charged through the middle of the square driving the ball forward. One bit of play in the last quarter he ran on and got 3 hand ball receives. He was blowing hard after that and a couple of other times in the last quarter. Might need a few weeks in the B's before he gets match fit for the A grade.

Drew - the kid knows how to get the ball and is a reasonable distributor. Will play AFL in 2017 unless we get no injuries and go undefeated. A couple of times he got crunch tackled and despite his light frame, got up straight away.

Johnson - did some nice things in the first half, one nice chase and tackle but didn't really notice him after half time.

Lobbe - took a few marks, got some taps to advantage, tried hard but didn't dominate like you would expect at this level.

Palmer - only noticed him once before getting changed at half time and sitting on the bench.

Ah Chee - did some nice things, but didn't get enough of it. Went for one massive screamer in the last quarter and probably would have held onto it if Marshall didn't crash the pack.

Hewett - did some nice things in the 3rd quarter attacking off HB and the wing and did one nice low lace out 40m kick into the 50m and gave one of our forwards a set shot from 35m out. Think it was Reynolds.

Irra - didn't get to use his outside pace more than 2 or 3 times but did some solid work in the packs.

SANFL Players.

Summo - was Summo, lot of the ball, reliable kick, dependable in tight situations without really dominating the play.

Rudloff - did a couple nice things, but wasn't as good as he played in the internal trial.

Baron - I know nothing about him, but a couple of times I though, that was a bit of impressive play.

Sharrad - I like him as a player. Always hits the ball hard and is a dependable player.

Reynolds - bloody fantastic kick, moves well and has a good set of hands. Gets away with playing CHF at SANFL but will be a standard mid height forward at AFL level. I wonder if he will get another crack at AFL.

Corcoran - a good solid size for sanfl and a solid backman. crashed a pack nicely in front of me to help out a team mate, Austin I think.

Ross - He caught me by surprise a few times. Pretty sure he spent a decent chunk of time playing CHB and I was surprised how good he was when the ball was on the ground for a 198cm ruckman type.

Miller - looks like he should be in year 8 or 9 but a smart little player who kicked 2 or 3 goals and set up a couple. Has a bit of pace but is very lightweight. I have no idea how old he is.

Robbie Young - looked smooth as usual, used the ball well, but didn't get as much of it as I expected.

The first half was reasonably tight and competitive, but after half time as you would expect playing a bottom sanfl side, our superior fitness and ball use meant we got on top of north and kept moving further away from them on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Hope he can do it at AFL level when he gets a go.
Good luck Will Snelling hope you get a fair go Logan Austin Billy Frampton Jarrod Lienert and eventually Luke Reynolds.
If selections and contract extensions are any guide i've got my doubts. Still early days. The upgrading of Rookies will
tell us something. Selections down the track if we start the year badly might tell us more.

At least nowadays when I look at our new recruits I feel that there is promise.

Mostly today I liked that we were cleaner and showed better skills than what I've seen with the Power.

Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly hard to argue this.
Nah it's the exact opposite, hey. Book gets so much over the top hate, it's actually ridiculous even for this board. He hasn't been at 2013/14 levels but either have the entire club. Boak has been a bit down but has still been fine - certainly better than many other players at the club, and definitely better than most posters here seem to think.

Good luck Will Snelling hope you get a fair go Logan Austin Billy Frampton Jarrod Lienert and eventually Luke Reynolds.
If selections and contract extensions are any guide i've got my doubts. Still early days. The upgrading of Rookies will
tell us something. Selections down the track if we start the year badly might tell us more.
I reckon selections for the Sydney game will tell us!

Being unable to go to any pre season games.
This thread is the most positive thing I've read on here since the start of the pre season.

I know it's early days but it looks like all our draftees are showing a lot of promise. I'm going to try and take that positivity into the start of the season proper. :smile:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back