2nds Port Adelaide vs Norwood - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope when Charlie's AFL journey comes to an end (and I'm prepared to wait a few more years for that!) he plays a couple of seasons at Port. His passion for the jumper and his enjoyment of the passion of local football supporters is fantastic. He would set such high standards, would be a worthy captain of the Magpies.

The crowds love him, the buzz every time the ball goes near him is amazing.

Oh and scary as it sounds, Sam Hayes looks even taller than Charlie in that clip! He is going to be a monster in a couple of years.
Charlie was sitting down at the welcome reception in Shanghai on the Friday night before Jiangwan Stadium I in May 2017. I went straight up to him with Port Woolwich to shake his hand, said “Hi Charlie, please don’t stand up.” But he did, and that made quite an impression right in front of us, as we disappeared from sight.

He was one of four players who went up on stage for a Q&A, the others being Hamish (could be wrong there), Jasper and Sam PP. Charlie wore shorts, something Jasper observed when he took the mike: “This is what’s called a cocktail reception, you don’t wear shorts to a cocktail reception.” Charlie couldn’t give a damn. Coming from Jasper he let it sail well over his head out of bounds on the full ... as usual.

LOL, Charlie was reported for misconduct and fined $200. It would have taken him longer to actually engage in the fracas than it would to earn the money for the fine.
$200 to suplex a Norwood player? That's worth every cent!

Would have thought the SANFL would be frothing at the mouth at the prospect of suspending him. Good result.
It was actually 1 match for it, but the early plea only got him down to a fine.

Hate.
I get what your saying about yesterdays game but i'd rather watch us play other AFL reserves teams.
The sanfl have demonstrated over the years that they can barely stomach giving us the steam off their piss.
I can only take so much and my threshold was reached yrs ago.
They really don't want us in their comp, only the money that's generated from AO.

Even old man Cornes reckons an AFL reserves is inevitable.
Bring it on and the sooner the better.
You are kidding yourself if you think afl reserves would be a better place to develop our players than the sanfl. You would never get that spirit or passion for the club and the game playing shitty glorified trial matched in a manufactured soleless comp against gold coast or St Kilda reserves, what bizarre planet do some of our supporters live on.
So what the sanfl hate us, well guess what, we hate them too. Who gives a fk. It's still by far the best comp to develop our young players.

You are kidding yourself if you think afl reserves would be a better place to develop our players than the sanfl. You would never get that spirit or passion for the club and the game playing ****ty glorified trial matched in a manufactured soleless comp against gold coast or St Kilda reserves, what bizarre planet do some of our supporters live on.
So what the sanfl hate us, well guess what, we hate them too. Who gives a fk. It's still by far the best comp to develop our young players.
For nostalgia I see where your coming from and I'm hard wired to sanfl. As good as yesterday was and the week before
with the crowd and the results, Alberton crowds have been modest at best for quite awhile. Sheesh earlier this year they were embarrassing
and last year wasn't anything flash by a long way. The word around the terraces was the ugly hopeless game style,
and Hinkley's extension. Plenty voted with their feet. Losing the academy team didn't help.
Where the last 2 weeks crowds have come from idk.

As for developing our players I'm as guilty as anyone for wearing rose coloured glasses but we've achieved jack in the AFL for 5yrs.
That's a bloody long time. Right now our list is very promising but we've turned over how many in the last 4yrs.
If we make sanfl finals this year we have a limit of 15(?) AFL listed players to choose. It's a loaded dice.
The last 2 weeks have been amazing long may it continue but as a regular at Alberton you don't need to be told what the passion and spirit
has been like for too long. Maybe it's more Ken than the sanfl system. There was enough shown against Sturt and Norwood for me
to get my hopes up but I'm rusted on. Maybe Ken's influence on how we play is getting less and that our immediate future
will continue to bring people back. That's a lot of maybe's and maybe your right.
Let's both hope the last 2 weeks aren't an outlier.

The first, bye week combined with Ollie Wines, Charlie Dixon and Hamish Hartlett all making there return and free entry for AFL members.

Maybe Charlie and Ollie kept everyone coming back for the Norwood game as well.
I've been in Melb and didn't know about the AFL freebie deal.
Whatever it takes to fill the terraces is Jim Dandy by me. Watched the replay last night and it was like turning the clock back 20yrs.

QGeZUSR.png

bHmAlWp.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Wilson loved it!

View attachment 693798

Man I used to love watching Wilbur Play, definitely underrated and sadly seems to be lost amongst other players of the same era although unfortunately injuries did curtail him, as they did a few other port players of that time. On a side note how good was it to see another fav of mine Tommy Logan getting amongst it with the boys on the ground after the game. Still heart and soul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back