Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Is Snelling legit? Someone pls say yes
Imo yes. A potential Sam Mitchell type. He is a very good decision maker (not faultless of course...no-one is)
and let's be honest our AFL team could do with more of these players. Good in and under player and 1v1
You have to earn your kicks against him. He's very young and a bright future. Played really well yesterday.
A keeper for sure.

Could someone please remind me the rules about Magpies-only player recruitment? There is an age limit, right? Asking because Mitchell would obviously be very valuable for the Magpies but probably be delisted from the Power and might not get another gig at an AFL club. Butcher could be in the same situation.

Could someone please remind me the rules about Magpies-only player recruitment? There is an age limit, right? Asking because Mitchell would obviously be very valuable for the Magpies but probably be delisted from the Power and might not get another gig at an AFL club. Butcher could be in the same situation.
18-23 years old and must not have played AFL or state footy for 2 years.

Most our players will come via the Academy or very good amateur players.

Luke Reynolds was given special permission to play with us, Not sure how though.

Luke Reynolds was given special permission to play with us, Not sure how though.
OK, thanks. That's what I thought. It sucks. I guess it will be WAFL for Kano then.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I have said before. Luke Reynolds should be looked at as a rookie for Port. He knows where the goals are....

OK, thanks. That's what I thought. It sucks. I guess it will be WAFL for Kano then.
As an example, If Summerton was to retire (Several years off from it but just pretend he's 35 year old for this example), Mitchell probs could have been made captain.

I think another big game for Jesse Palmer on the weekend might leave Reynolds out of luck. How many mid-sized marking forwards do we really need?
If it frees up Robbie Gray to get more minutes in the middle, I'm all for it.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I think another big game for Jesse Palmer on the weekend might leave Reynolds out of luck. How many mid-sized marking forwards do we really need?
Maybe, but the saving grace for Monfries and Reynolds may be the lack of tall marking forwards. Who would be more dangerous at FF next year in the AFL- Schulz one year older, Butch or Reynolds.?

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I get what you're saying and am inclined to agree, but it's a bit of a stretch to say either of Palmer's games have been "big".

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
mmm.......you might be right. Like many others i've been in Luke's corner for quite awhile BUT and it's a big 'but' he was largely
tagged out of the game v Norwood and gave some indifferent efforts. We'll have to trust the club to get it right with our recruiting
drafting coz it's very important this year. Imo we need good mids and another tall KPD.
Some tactical nous in the coaches box wouldn't hurt either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Snelling legit? Someone pls say yes
Never really attracts my eye but Byrons Firen who I often stand with is very impressed, and he's a good judge. Snelling's stats were more impressive than I'd have guessed and the table posted by grimlock has him 2nd best for us. FWIW I'm not sure either from the stats and actually watching the game how Summerton is pushed to 6th.

Could someone please remind me the rules about Magpies-only player recruitment? There is an age limit, right? ....
More problematic there is the need for players to be 2 years out of the AFL before we can pick them up.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Never really attracts my eye but Byrons Firen who I often stand with is very impressed, and he's a good judge.
POTY, close the betting, it's over folks. I know you have all tried hard this year but let's be honest,
when it comes to judging football flesh while many are called, few are chosen :D

Oh is that the door.

..... Who would be more dangerous at FF next year in the AFL- Schulz one year older, Butch or Reynolds?
Reynolds. But he'd be another Aaron Young type. Hah! Just checked and they're the exact same height.

mmm.......you might be right. Like many others i've been in Luke's corner for quite awhile BUT and it's a big 'but' he was largely tagged out of the game v Norwood and gave some indifferent efforts .....
Yeah I've only seen about 1/3 of the Maggies' games this year but Reynolds looked like he had real promise as a potential draftee. Most ineffective game I've seen him in on Saturday,

Last edited:

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Hewett stays on the list and plays some AFL footy in next year or 2, what is his most likely position?

If Hewett stays on the list and plays some AFL footy in next year or 2, what is his most likely position?
Well unless you're a KPP it's pretty well always on-baller/midfielder these days. I've seen moments this year that have shown he knows where the goals are, but that wasn't where he was used on the weekend and his stats reflect that.

I'd have thought he'd be boy most likely to get another chance at a different AFL club because someone must think they can take that WAFL/SANFL brilliance into the AFL. Or he joins another SANFL club and rips us apart when he plays us. For all the angst about Monfries, Butcher, Colquhoun from various posters it's Mitchell going that will most upset me if it happens.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I'd have thought he'd be boy most likely to get another chance at a different AFL club because someone must think they can take that WAFL/SANFL brilliance into the AFL. Or he joins another SANFL club and rips us apart when he plays us. For all the angst about Monfries, Butcher, Colquhoun from various posters it's Mitchell going that will most upset me if it happens.
Yep it's no wonder he won a Sandover. Caught up with him at the presentations after the game, ripper bloke
humble honest and loves the club. Alas it might be the last time we see him in the PB's :( **** **** ****

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Port argued that Luke being on a rookie list and not being elevated onto an afl list didn't deem him to be an afl player.

The contracted players can be over 23 as long as we continue to contract them each year but we can only have one over 28.

It makes existing in the sanfl pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back