2nds Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a wrong for thinking a lot of our forward issues are Bassett set ups ???

I can't hold Bassett responsible for the number of times Frampton dropped marks when he tried to take the ball in front of his eyes.

Or Marshall not making a single marking contest that I can remember. Did he lead at all? He looked almost uninterested. Not good enough.

Did Ladhams even take a mark? I remember him getting his hands on one attempted mark but dropping it.

Every year we blame assistant coaches. Nicks, Lade, Bassett. Maybe we aren't drafting the right talls. Big blokes with a bit of mongrel. I would kill for a Cameron Mooney.

I can't hold Bassett responsible for the number of times Frampton dropped marks when he tried to take the ball in front of his eyes.

Or Marshall not making a single marking contest that I can remember. Did he lead at all? He looked almost uninterested. Not good enough.

Did Ladhams even take a mark? I remember him getting his hands on one attempted mark but dropping it.

Every year we blame assistant coaches. Nicks, Lade, Bassett. Maybe we aren't drafting the right talls. Big blokes with a bit of mongrel. I would kill for a Cameron Mooney.

My biggest issue is that
they stand and lead in the exact same spots as each other, its so condensed

How did Trengove play? Another 40 disposals... Were they any good?

For those that disliked the way Kornes played, his was like peak chipscab Kornes

Marshall took a great contested mark in the first, then missed the goal. Made a few contests through out the game and dropped every single one that i remember, had a few good moments definitely looked a little disinterested at times.... does he want it enough ?

For a guy of his height, needs to put a tone of work into his marking, gets his hands to a lot and drops the majority.

Last edited:
My biggest issue is that
they stand and lead in the exact same spots as each other, its so condensed

They're not robots, they should be aware of what's happening around them.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice your game for the team.

Dunno what happened to the contested marking Marshall we all saw in the u18s but he’s miles away from that player.

He just doesnt do anything

Dunno what happened to the contested marking Marshall we all saw in the u18s but he’s miles away from that player.

I liked this comment for truth but it breaks my heart.

Got there at half time and boy did South have a purple patch of 15 minutes in the 3rd - inexcusable by us as we were terrible. That purple patch netted them about 5 goals and we were just chasing jumpers looking like clowns! We did improve but too late when you are 6 goals down.
Billy tries to get himself involved - wins some looses some. Is he ready for a Power jumper? Perhaps. Todd needs more time in the 2’s to find some form. Farrell missed a sitter in the last quarter - should have kicked it. Up forward we certainly miss Robbie Young, but that’s another story!

South's structures were so much better than ours, they also get great output from their smalls.

Our skills were poor, any good passages of play mostly came down to individual players doing something exceptional to get it out of the congestion, never because we link up or move the ball well.

Largely agree that Trengove's stats were mostly ineffectual, a lot of chips kicks that don't hurt the opposition.

Frampton got on the angry pills and started getting aggressive and an off-the-ball hit on Cross could be looked at. I thought he was quite good in the air with his marking but not-so much in the ruck.

Watching Marshall closely and hes good on the lead but can't quite stick the marks yet. Once the ball hit the deck its too easy for his opponent to out-muscle and push him off the ball. Marshall is ok once he gets a few metres off his opponent so he can evade, but if he follows him close hes blanketed.

McKenzie's short and long range kicking is exceptionally good though.

Marshall sounds like any young developing key position forward, really. We've been playing him as a tall general forward because of his speed and pressure, but after drafting guys like Butters and Rozee, that's not important anymore. Give him a bit of time and another season or two in the gym...he'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he wasn't damaging, Trengove's quintuple double of kicks, handballs, marks, tackles and I50s is obscene. 7 clearances as well.

He's a skinny kid who dominated against boys now playing against men, and he's missed a lot of footy.

He'll be fine, he just needs to be backed in.

Marshall sounds like any young developing key position forward, really. We've been playing him as a tall general forward because of his speed and pressure, but after drafting guys like Butters and Rozee, that's not important anymore. Give him a bit of time and another season or two in the gym...he'll be fine.
Hope so, plus really, his mental state might still be a bit fragile after the happenings of last year.

Is easy to look a million dollars as a 200cm athletic forward playing against kids.
He will be ok, lost all confidence at the moment.
Simplify his game. He is the bestreader of play, natural leading forward we have.
Get him starting in the goalsquare and tell him lead strong, repeat efforts. Really simplify his role.

Wasnt expecting that insipid effort after a few weeks of positive attacking aggressive footy, stooped back to the lazy soft gutless sideways chippy ways of last year.

Watching Marshall in the first two weeks there seems to be something distracting him imo. He certainly does not seem as intent this year he seems to me to be a bit of a laconic person very similar to Westoff but there are some concerns there from where i sit with his intent and appliction!

Out-coached with more effective game plan by South on day. They put numbers around the ball, congested play and then restricted any run from us with pressure to player. Sucker punched us a number of times with quick rebound from a flooded defence. We reverted back to that 2018 slow side ways chipping football without a plan B. Sydney like gameplan from South. Also comprehensively beaten in middle especially in 3rd quarter.

Frampton tried hard, Marshall has lost all confidence and doesn't attack ball with any aggression.

Lacklustre effort all round by all involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back