2nds Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - Round 9 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

So i am guessing by this thread that the magoos played well. :thumbsu:

I was only keeping tabs on my phone.
They sure did, best game this year. Good link up play and skill level high in tricky wind.
Those there lapped it up. Terrific atmosphere. Great anti-dote to last night.

I thought Butcher was great. Crashed the packs hard and was always involved.
I don't recall any pack crashing. He was involved in a few pack mark attempts but I'm not sure if he marked in any. However you couldn't question his workrate in wrestling the ball out in those situations.
He worked hard and well around the ground and in one brilliant instance on the NE 50 line won a ground contest to keep the ball in, knocked it to a teammate and then ran 55m to mark the resulting pass and goal from it. 3rd quarter I think, and possibly his first goal. I should also mention a very clever snap goal from close-in quite late. There was a third goal which was unremarkable, quite close in and I think from a free.
Trouble is for all that he did do well he missed/shanked all of the 3 (?) other set shots he had.

Last edited:

Passably well, hey? 28 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals. If that's a pass I'd hate to see what you would give a distinction :p
In fairness to mic59 who I met today :) it's not always possible to fully appreciate how our players go
when your at the ground and not in the stands, let alone watching an online stream.

Amazing how many Aussies have terrible geography skills. Alice Springs is about 1435 km's South of Darwin.
It's only a 12-15 Hr drive.

Great win! That's not overzealousness on my part, either.

Other than some residual slipperiness from before the game, the conditions were basically perfect until the last 15 minutes (and the walk back to the car!).

I thought we started the game really well. It was clear from the first few minutes that we'd come out switched on and were willing to fight for a win. Some poor kicking at goal aside, we had the better of the first quarter and were somewhat unlucky to be narrowly trailing at quarter time.

We asserted our dominance in the second term and capitalised on some great link up play through the middle of the ground, kicking the first five goals. Unfortunately with about five minutes to go the midfield group lost their focus, the defenders became loose and South kicked three quick goals to bring the margin back to ten points. Jimmy Toumpas kicked a ridiculously ugly goal after the siren to make it a three goal lead at half time.

Through solid team defence and hard running from the mids and half backs, we shut down any hope of a comeback for South, kicking eight goals to three in the third quarter. South kicked the first couple of goals of the final term, and then the rain came. Credit to our boys, we ran the game out and kicked the next three goals to run away with a 48 point win against the top side!

Player reviews:
Ross - A few hit outs, but certainly wasn't dominant in the ruck. Very quiet in general play.

Carlile - I thought he did a decent job for about two and a half quarters on the competition's leading goal kicker in Eddy. Let him off the leash in the later stages and finished with a disappointing six disposals. Not awful, but doesn't deserve a promotion based on his SANFL form so far.

Austin - Didn't have big numbers, but had a decent day. Plenty of pack spoils and we were dangerous on the rebound from his long kick ins.

Rudloff - Solid as ever defensively. Didn't (doesn't) offer a whole lot with the ball, but that should come with experience.

Clurey - Didn't notice him a whole lot defensively (maybe that's a good thing?) and he didn't find heaps of the footy. Not a bad game, but I also wouldn't say he was good. Will be interesting to see who comes in for Jonas out of Clurey, Austin and Carlile.

Houston - Started the game brilliantly, albeit with some inaccuracy. Really fell out of the game after the first quarter, but he's showing something every week.

Butcher - Competed well all day. Doesn't get any love from the umpires, but he continues to fight his way to contests and bring the ball to ground for the smaller players. A couple of dodgy set shots, but three goals was a fair return for his effort.

Biemans - Played a few different positions today. Solid on the half back line, had four I50s and kicked a long goal at the southern end. Not the biggest game for him, but he brings great effort and pressure every week.

Young - Reasonably quiet, but played an alright game. Brings good pressure and had a super impressive bit of play running down the outer wing.

Palmer - Not as much midfield time this week for Jesse, but a performance that was on par with his last few weeks. He's not tall but he's got a strong body and a great pair of hands. Getting closer and closer to an AFL debut I think.

Reynolds - Will be on our AFL list next year. Enough said.

T. Gray - Linked up through the middle of the ground really well, provided strong contests in the air and on the deck. Didn't finish with big numbers, but an eight in the tackles column is truly indicative of his fantastic pressure around the ball today. Good game for Tom and I reckon he'll be an important part of our side as the season progresses.

Ah Chee - Split his time pretty evenly between the midfield and the HFF. Didn't find quite as much of the ball as I (or he) would've liked, but really used his size well at the stoppages and was dangerous up forward finishing with three goals. Probably a couple more weeks to really build some good form in the SANFL before he's looked at for the AFL team, I reckon.

Bonner - Not great defensively and got caught trying to do a bit too much a couple of times, but man is he a nice user of the footy. Needs to keep working hard on the defensive side of his game, but it's not crazy to think that he might make his debut in the AFL in the back half of the year.

Howard - Competed well in the ruck, competed well up forward. Developing really nicely and deserves a promotion off the back of his solid form in the reserves.

Sharrad - Just a good, hard, honest footballer. It's fair to say that his skills are below average, and his ball use was way down today. Still, he did a lot of grunt work in the packs and finished with a good, cheap goal.

Summerton - Playing more of an outside game this year, running from arc to arc and using the ball nicely to link up and send the ball inside 50. Nothing amazing from the captain, but a good game nonetheless.

Colquhoun - Played the loose-man/sweeper role perfectly today, I don't remember him wasting a kick. Put his body on the line standing under the ball in front of the oncoming brutes multiple times today. He's in really good form, and it feels odd to say this with the AFL side not exactly flying, but I'm not sure where we'd fit him in if he was brought in for the Power.

Toumpas - Very good game from the Toump. I reckon he's looked a class above in the two SANFL games he's played this year. His set shot routine and kicking was thoroughly unconvincing, but he finished with two straight goals. He was another who linked up well bringing the ball from defence to attack, and he took a couple of nice marks today. Won't stay in the reserves for long.

S. Gray - Similarly good game from Sammy Gray. Found lots of the ball and used it well. Solid on the inside and useful linking up on the outside. Worked his arse off when not in possession, bringing great pressure to finish with eight tackles. Hopefully a stint in the SANFL is the push he needs to get back to his AFL form of late last year.

Mitchell - Best on ground today. Kept the reigning Magarey Medallist extremely quiet in the first half while racking up possessions himself. He used the ball reasonably well, but his stats really tell the story this week. 15 kicks, 15 handballs, 9 tackles, 9 clearances, 4 I50s and a goal. Presumably we kept him at the club as a 'break glass in case of emergency' type player. Is it time to break the glass? Personally I think we're not quite at that stage yet, but I certainly won't be melting if he's an inclusion this week. Either way, I absolutely love his effort.

Last edited:
I don't recall any pack crashing. He was involved in a few pack mark attempts but I'm not sure if he marked in any. However you couldn't question his workrate in wrestling the ball out in those situations.
He worked hard and well around the ground and in one brilliant instance on the NE 50 line won a ground contest to keep the ball in, knocked it to a teammate and then ran 55m to mark the resulting pass and goal from it. 3rd quarter I think, and possibly his first goal. I should also mention a very clever snap goal from close-in quite late. There was a third goal which was unremarkable, quite close in and I think from a free.
Trouble is for all that he did do well. He missed/shanked all of the 3 (?) set shots he had.
Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 20.10.22.png

Kicked one, missed two from set shots.

Living in Ballarat I really enjoyed watching the game. First time I've seen the Magpies play live for a while. Are all Magpie games streamed live or just the sanfl game of the week?
They stream random games.

View attachment 249571

Yeah I really didn't word that well. I've edited that to "Trouble is for all that he did do well he missed/shanked all of the 3 (?) other set shots he had." The operative word is now 'other'. I'm surprised he only had 7 kicks because he was busy around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trouble is for all that he did do well he missed/shanked all of the 3 (?) other set shots he had.

I saw one shanked shot and one that just missed from 50m out.
You're not counting that snap in the first quarter as a shank are you?

... Colquhoun - Played the loose-man/sweeper role perfectly today .....
Yeah, good catch. He was quietly excellent, his positioning was remarkable. I don't think he has a future with us so that was a bit of an eye opener.

I saw one shanked shot and one that just missed from 50m out.
You're not counting that snap in the first quarter as a shank are you?
Well I say missed/shanked. There was only one classic Butcher shank and that was quite late.

View attachment 249571

I know EVERY SINGLE ******* PLAYER having a set shot spins the ball in their hands a few times before taking the kick, but I noticed Butch still spinning it round as he was running in for that one in the third qtr that barely scraped in for a behind. Didn't surprise me one bit :mad:

I know EVERY SINGLE ******* PLAYER having a set shot spins the ball in their hands a few times before taking the kick, but I noticed Butch still spinning it round as he was running in for that one in the third qtr that barely scraped in for a behind. Didn't surprise me one bit :mad:
Try teaching kids to kick straight these days. If they're not snapping or dribbling they're wiping their calves or doing this spin junk in their lead up.
Any kid in ten years who can walk up and kick ala Tredrea or Brownie will be able to name his price.

yBrFEnZ.png

tQ885XG.png

That's his new technique which he's kept consistent all year. He's kicking better but still prone to a shank. He did the exact same thing for his set shot that went straight as an arrow.

Actually made a split second decision to go and lucky I did. Great effort put up by the boys!

How great is our great supporter Stuart in the scoreboard pocket? The bloke with the Port Mini. He IS Port Adelaide!
He's a champion, I truly love his passion.

Anyone else have to Google 'reigning Magarey Medallist'? :D
I was going to write 'reigning Magarey Medallist (Joel Cross)', but thought I'd keep everyone guessing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back