2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Qualifying Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be wrong but my recollection is sharrad has struggled a touch in the finals series in previous years too. Plays well during the year but struggles when the pressure goes up. Might be wrong but I have this vague memory of it in the past.

Perhaps. I guess he played in the straight sets exit in 2015? I'm happy for whatever makes the team better. Krak back should be good. We need to win next week. If we're in the gf we're a chance.

... What do we do with Snelling next year ?

I'd be inclined to keep Snelling ....
IMO it comes down to what he costs us v durability. He was a no-brainer use of a draft pick after his efforts in West Adelaide's flag. If we could ever get value from his ability to extract the ball from packs we'd look like geniuses.

We have seen it all before in both comps, ie the oppo coach changes his game plan after the halftime break, and our coaches don't respond quickly enough to those changes, which often resulted in those nothing quarters where our early advantage evaporated.

I suspect if a `strategy ' coach like Mattner was in charge of the Maggies yesterday, then the margin would have been closer to 5 goals than 15 points.

And while I'm on a roll ;)
Atley may develop into an AFL midfielder in time, but going by what I have seen it is more likely to be as a handy 2nd stringer, than the inside ball winning messiah some were suggesting we had drafted. :rolleyes:

After not getting another look in at AFL level this year, he's (Eddy) probably defeated and unmotivated by now ....
Que? Eddy is in fine form and active right up the ground, think Dixon in the AFL team.

Also very happy that those flogs Nord got booted out of the finals. Butcher kicking a big goal made me feel warm and fuzzy .....
That's interesting re Butcher. I got there in time to see most of the final quarter of that game, when Centrals looked like they owned the ball. And when I was (intermittently) concentrating on the game Butch didn't go near it.

Last edited:
... Also, I don't get much SANFL but did Colquhoun 'dominate' last year? From what I heard he was the most obvious de-listing.
Colquhoun was/is a very good player at SANFL level but that's immaterial, he couldn't justify a continued spot on the AFL list. What sort of burns about that was IMO he handled the pace of the AFL level well but turned the ball over with such regularity it was like he'd been cursed by a witch. However at SANFL level he's faultless. It really wouldn't surprise me to see him offered a spot by another AFL team.

Atley may develop into an AFL midfielder in time, but going by what I have seen it is more likely to be as a handy 2nd stringer, than the inside ball winning messiah some were suggesting we had drafted. :rolleyes:
Jeez you can be tough sometimes 54. First year in the system, first year playing against men. The end of a long season after his first afl pre-season and the fatigue that brings with it. I think he's coming along nicely.

They can't all be SPPs, knocking 100 gamers over at will from game 1.

Que? Eddy is in fine form and active right up the ground, think Dixon in the AFL team.

Don't really think there is such a comparison. Eddy had 7 touches yesterday. He gets up around the wing occasionally but doesn't do much.

Dixon gets up and down the ground and is a force of nature wherever he appears.

Eddy was good yesterday, kicked a few goals when we were up and about but nothing remarkable. Agree he certainly doesn't look defeated though.

We have seen it all before in both comps, ie the oppo coach changes his game plan after the halftime break, and our coaches don't respond quickly enough to those changes, which often resulted in those nothing quarters where our early advantage evaporated.

I suspect if a `strategy ' coach like Mattner was in charge of the Maggies yesterday, then the margin would have been closer to 5 goals than 15 points.

What do you think Cornes could have done? He said after the game
that the players had gone away from what was spoken about and he seemed to be seething about that. For me, it just looked as though our intensity dropped off and theirs lifted, which comes down to work rate than any kind of structure or tactic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think Cornes could have done? He said after the game
that the players had gone away from what was spoken about and he seemed to be seething about that. For me, it just looked as though our intensity dropped off and theirs lifted, which comes down to work rate than any kind of structure or tactic.
The worst thing that happened was getting the first goal so quickly and easily in the third quarter. Players mentally switched off - job done. Took a very long time to find the switch again

Also very happy that those flogs Nord got booted out of the finals. Butcher kicking a big goal made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Would like to note that finals crowds are a lot different to minor round crowds. It's clear that Norwood supporters that show up only for finals are Crows supporters because they yell "ball" almost instantly even though the holding the ball rule in the SANFL is and has clearly been more lenient than the AFL rule for a few years now. I reckon a few of the umps got sucked in and payed some really quick htb's when Sturt fans did the same thing.

Then you recognise them when they put the yellow streak on top of their red & blue top

Colquhoun was/is a very good player at SANFL level but that's immaterial, he couldn't justify a continued spot on the AFL list. What sort of burns about that was IMO he handled the pace of the AFL level well but turned the ball over with such regularity it was like he'd been cursed by a witch. However at SANFL level he's faultless. It really wouldn't surprise me to see him offered a spot by another AFL team.
Was having the conversation yesterday that o think a gold coast/freo a team at the start of the rebuild could use utilise him as a rookie

Jeez you can be tough sometimes 54. First year in the system, first year playing against men. The end of a long season after his first afl pre-season and the fatigue that brings with it. I think he's coming along nicely.

They can't all be SPPs, knocking 100 gamers over at will from game 1.

Maybe I'm being a tad harsh NH, but I just haven't seen as much to get excited about as some.
Always happy to be proven wrong if I have underestimated a Port player though. ;)

So someone remind me why our AFL listed players don't automatically wear their AFL numbers in the SANFL games. Some do, some have SANFL list players who already have their numbers. Surely one number across the two teams, except #1 for obvious (?) reasons.

So someone remind me why our AFL listed players don't automatically wear their AFL numbers in the SANFL games. Some do, some have SANFL list players who already have their numbers. Surely one number across the two teams, except #1 for obvious (?) reasons.
Think the reason the club didn't get magpies jumpers for players they never thought would run around in the sanfl like Jacko and Brogsy.

Who cares, it's just a number, obviously the players don't care

So the story being the sturt we want a banner sign looks like being someone from the club didn't allow their cheersquad to make a banner for the game... bloody absurd..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back