2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 11 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw that coming. Original stuff.

But seriously what a ******* disgraceful footballer.. the club can give themselves a pat on the back for that one though.

Because the club has never taken a player in the first round that was a bust or rather, didn't pan out as hoped, before or since.

John Rombotis, Mark Harwood, Michael Stevens, Paul Koulouriotis, Shaun Burgoyne, Barry Brooks, Steven Salopek, Troy Chaplin, Adam Thomson, Ryan Willits, Matthew Lobbe, Andrew Moore, Ben Jacobs...

In Butcher's case, he was touted as a potential #1 pick, got hurt in his draft year and slid to us.

We were never not picking him under the circumstances - our key forwards were Tredrea who had 5 games left in his body, Schulz who was just traded from Richmond for some expired milk that still smelled alright and Justin "I'm not a key forward" Westhoff.

His body was never quite right, he stagnated developmentally and for all his faults, we never quite had the faith to just keep pumping games into him regardless, as every other team but us seems to do with their iffy bigs.

Yep, the ship's sailed, he'll be delisted at year's end and we'll move on with Charlie and Doogs, but by all reports he's a lovely fella and he'll always be a member of the Port Adelaide family.

There's absolutely no need to be so down on him.

Because the club has never taken a player in the first round that was a bust or rather, didn't pan out as hoped, before or since.

John Rombotis, Mark Harwood, Michael Stevens, Paul Koulouriotis, Shaun Burgoyne, Barry Brooks, Steven Salopek, Troy Chaplin, Adam Thomson, Ryan Willits, Matthew Lobbe, Andrew Moore, Ben Jacobs...

In Butcher's case, he was touted as a potential #1 pick, got hurt in his draft year and slid to us.

We were never not picking him under the circumstances - our key forwards were Tredrea who had 5 games left in his body, Schulz who was just traded from Richmond for some expired milk that still smelled alright and Justin "I'm not a key forward" Westhoff.

His body was never quite right, he stagnated developmentally and for all his faults, we never quite had the faith to just keep pumping games into him regardless, as every other team but us seems to do with their iffy bigs.

Yep, the ship's sailed, he'll be delisted at year's end and we'll move on with Charlie and Doogs, but by all reports he's a lovely fella and he'll always be a member of the Port Adelaide family.

:D:D tribey, you have left so many questions answered. We need to form a committee where your (next) lady plays netball:p:D:p:D

To be fair I reckon the Blooz fanatics are just about outnumbering us today. Up and about like they're actually relevant!
Just got home and your right there were plenty of them there. After some bad 1st qtr clangers from those on our AFL list
it seemed like we were never really in the game. The Quinn was as empty as i've seen it.
Winning # in the raffle 7709 my ticket 7711 :(
Not a great w/end.

I feel like we are getting a bit AFL360-ish soppy with all the Port Adelaide family s**t.. this is the year to cut every bloke that doesn't look AFL standard otherwise "We are Port Adelaide may as well be We are Richmond"

I feel like we are getting a bit AFL360-ish soppy with all the Port Adelaide family s**t.. this is the year to cut every bloke that doesn't look AFL standard otherwise "We are Port Adelaide may as well be We are Richmond"
I think you've completely misread the situation, actually.

If someone's time is up, they go. Nobody's advocating for Butcher to stay on the list because he's a nice guy.

The point is that there's no need to abuse a guy that (AFAIC) has given his all for our club.

Directly assisted a few of the Sturt forwards with some of their 7 first quarter goals by attempting to be the switch player at half back.
That was horrendous and he wasn't alone. Try the Hoon and Hewitt as well.
I thought Billy was pretty good after those first quarter blunders.
Yep. He's a good kick and not slow either.

Butch seems to be just stagnating after half a season of decent footy where he went unselected despite reasonable form, in a team devoid of structure and missing height, ala 2014, 2015.

His farewell tour is a bigger mess than Motley Crue's.

Holy *. I take it back. No farewell tour is worse than that. That's worse than the 2010 Grand Final entertainment.

I think you've completely misread the situation, actually.

If someone's time is up, they go. Nobody's advocating for Butcher to stay on the list because he's a nice guy.

The point is that there's no need to abuse a guy that (AFAIC) has given his all for our club.
I think we've been guilty of keeping blokes on the list for team harmony purposes it's time to get ruthless in delisting and trading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've been guilty of keeping blokes on the list for team harmony purposes it's time to get ruthless in delisting and trading.
Possibly, I dunno. Who, for example?

Yep he was a slider and with 3 x 1st rounders up our sleeve we just had to pick him.

We thought we'd stolen a Ferrari but it turned out to be just a Fiat, and then to make matters worse we didn't service it properly. It developed a few problems as a result, became unreliable and now years later it's worth 10% of its original value.

It's sad but it happens, maybe not surprising in this case considering the megastorm of s**t we were in 5 years ago.

Hopefully some lessons have been learned.

Well said. :thumbsu:

A

All good points but what about his kicking from day one has not improved and I have seen nearly every game he has played in the SANFL from day one

Possibly, I dunno. Who, for example?

Stewart, O'Shea, Lobbe. All three are universally-beloved club men. Stewart has clung on for 1-2 contract extensions, the latter two could have been moved on if we were more aggressive at the trade table.

One of Butch's kicks today was a lace out pass 30/40m on his left foot. His body language wasn't great at times :(
My bold and well said.

You've conflated two separate trains of thought.

You can be ruthless and move players on without abusing the s**t out of them for no good reason. If they leave with class - ie Danyle Pearce, Andrew Moore, John Butcher* - why nuke them?

If they leave like dickholes - Nick Stevens, Troy Chaplin, Ben Jacobs - good riddance. Have at it.

A

All good points but what about his kicking from day one has not improved and I have seen nearly every game he has played in the SANFL from day one
There's been a clear improvement this year from last year, really.

You've conflated two separate trains of thought.

You can be ruthless and move players on without abusing the s**t out of them for no good reason. If they leave with class - ie Danyle Pearce, Andrew Moore, John Butcher* - why nuke them?

If they leave like dickholes - Nick Stevens, Troy Chaplin, Ben Jacobs - good riddance. Have at it.
Probably, I've just had it!! we are not a ruthless football club it's been going on for more than a decade enough is enough.

Stewart, O'Shea, Lobbe. All three are universally-beloved club men. Stewart has clung on for 1-2 contract extensions, the latter two could have been moved on if we were more aggressive at the trade table.

Butch, Stewart, O'Shea, Moore u could all suspect of being hung onto for the good bloke factor.
I'd argue that those guys are either rated by the coaching group or were kept on as experienced depth when we were hoping to push for a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back