2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 11 @ Alberton

Didn't Howard kick 10 or something a few years ago and not get selected even when we were crying out for a forward?
Yes. We picked Jake Neade off of a one goal game ahead of him instead.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching sturt's set shot goal kicking today made me want to spew up. Just about every single one split the middle. Half our full time professional footballers couldn't hit a barn door from 20 metres. Feels like it's been that way for a decade

I thought exactly the same, bearing in mind they were playing at Alberton not Unley !
Our goalkicking, field kicking skills and incredibly slow ball movement compared to a struggling SANFL side was embarrassing.

elsler

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2008
Albertron
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Roll Tide Alabama Crimson Tide
Watching sturt's set shot goal kicking today made me want to spew up. Just about every single one split the middle. Half our full time professional footballers couldn't hit a barn door from 20 metres. Feels like it's been that way for a decade
couldnt execute the most basic skills like handballing to someone

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Set shots should be the easiest part of modern footy. It's the afl equivalent of a free throw if you're within about 45m and not right on the boundary. We should be going at 80-90%. Instead we kick like Ben Simmons

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Spent most of the day assembling an Ikea cabinet for the missus.
Son went today.
Described it as the most pathetic piece of **** he's had the misfortune to see.
Donkey walloped by the second to bottom team on our home turf.
FFS.

Spots for the taking to anyone who has two good legs to stand on, in the A's. Yet most of the AFL listed guys didn't give a yelp.
Why?

This club is spiralling into oblivion at a rate of knots.

Hopefully Williams did enough to convince selectors he's worth a crack.
6 goals out of 7, although don't know whether he played a blinder - or just had 6 kicks for the whole game.

Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spent most of the day assembling an Ikea cabinet for the missus.
Son went today.
Described it as the most pathetic piece of **** he's had the misfortune to see.
Donkey walloped by the second to bottom team on our home turf.
FFS.

Spots for the taking to anyone who has two good legs to stand on, in the A's. Yet most of the AFL listed guys didn't give a yelp.
Why?

This club is spiralling into oblivion at a rate of knots.

Hopefully Williams did enough to convince selectors he's worth a crack.
6 goals out of 7, although don't know whether he played a blinder - or just had 6 kicks for the whole game.
Sounds like last week at Woodville

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The sheer weight of top-up numbers playing and the fact that they've had to carry the can for most of the year due to injuries is starting to bite. Garner started in the midfield for a bigger body, Goldy had to go back to cover Lienert, Edwards has been playing back for most of the year to cover Pasini. It's just not sustainable. Bar the last two weeks we've been good, really good. Hopefully we don't completely lose our percentage whilst waiting for some troops to return.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like last week at Woodville

Lack of depth due to injuries is really starting to show up and we were exposed especially down back. With Lienert and Mckenzie promoted to A's we had no height down back to compete with Sturt talls. Lack of intensity from start was an issue with Sturt being really switched on. Was impressed by them and they have some talent and overall height, certainly didnt look like bottom side.

Schofield adding to injury list going down with hammy before half time.

Williams , Hayes, Mayes, Bonner were Ok the rest were poor. Woodcock got stats but not impressed. Fredericks runs around like headless chook , has lost his way and needs to go back to basics.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lack of depth due to injuries is really starting to show up and we were exposed especially down back. With Lienert and Mckenzie promoted to A's we had no height down back to compete with Sturt talls. Lack of intensity from start was an issue with Sturt being really switched on. Was impressed by them and they have some talent and overall height, certainly didnt look like bottom side.

Schofield adding to injury list going down with hammy before half time.

Williams , Hayes, Mayes, Bonner were Ok the rest were poor. Woodcock got stats but not impressed. Fredericks runs around like headless chook , has lost his way and needs to go back to basics.
Agree with everything bar Bonner.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree with everything bar Bonner.
Bonner did do some good things, but they were TOTALLY undone by some of his horrendous mistakes. That woeful missed short-pass in the goalsquare resulting in the Sturt goal was the clincher for me! 👎 Even the commentator said that "it was a bad example for the non-AFL players ... you expect more from him"

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When we were flying in the earlier part of the season we were able to select the likes of Ladhams, Rockliff, McKenzie, Lienert and to a lessor degree players like Farrell, Mead and Burgoyne (times 2). It’s got to make a difference!

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't profess to know the reason behind it, but we have had AFL regulars play for the Maggies over the years and I suspect there have been just as many if not more disappointing efforts than there have been stellar performances.

I can recall TJ being absolutely horrendous in what was from memory his first game for the Maggies when he had his pants pulled down to the tune of multiple goals by a fat campaigner who I had barely heard of at the time and I believe has retired since, and he was fairly average in the other couple of games he played after that.

Rockliff was absolutely woeful in the same game, and SPP got a bit of the ball but didn't do much with it.
I didn't see the recent game live but Rocky was apparently sensational before he broke down in the last qtr about 4 weeks back, and hopefully he will be available again later in the season.

Tom Clurey had probably only played a handful of AFL games at the time but I can still recall him being monstered by a then retired James Podsially who was an assistant coach for the tingles and apparently pulled on the boots for their magoos because they were short of players.

Assuming the X-man and Butters come back from injury via the Maggies hopefully we will see some more of those `stellar performances,' and with the return from injury of other players we will see much stronger line ups than yesterday.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was surprised to see how small we were over the ground compared to Sturt. No surprise to anyone here but we need to recruit some KPD's with height for the future. Even some of our future mids are little ie Schofield Mead.

Was surprised to see how small we were over the ground compared to Sturt. No surprise to anyone here but we need to recruit some KPD's with height for the future. Even some of our future mids are little ie Schofield Mead.
Clurey and Pasini incoming.

Butters and Pepper

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't profess to know the reason behind it, but we have had AFL regulars play for the Maggies over the years and I suspect there have been just as many if not more disappointing efforts than there have been stellar performances.

I can recall TJ being absolutely horrendous in what was from memory his first game for the Maggies when he had his pants pulled down to the tune of multiple goals by a fat campaigner who I had barely heard of at the time and I believe has retired since, and he was fairly average in the other couple of games he played after that.

Rockliff was absolutely woeful in the same game, and SPP got a bit of the ball but didn't do much with it.
I didn't see the recent game live but Rocky was apparently sensational before he broke down in the last qtr about 4 weeks back, and hopefully he will be available again later in the season.

Tom Clurey had probably only played a handful of AFL games at the time but I can still recall him being monstered by a then retired James Podsially who was an assistant coach for the tingles and apparently pulled on the boots for their magoos because they were short of players.

Assuming the X-man and Butters come back from injury via the Maggies hopefully we will see some more of those `stellar performances,' and with the return from injury of other players we will see much stronger line ups than yesterday.
From memory, Thurstans had 6 goals kicked against him by Nick Gill(?) in a quarter a few years ago.

Back