2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 9 @ Alberton

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
We had both yesterday, it was very quiet.
Quite simply, it’s reserves footy, the passion won’t be there unless it’s a final.
One match. I am talking about a process. It would take time.

Mate, listen, it’s reserves. It won’t happen.
Will be worse when it becomes AFL reserves.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like classic Ports

Overuse the ball
Don't score 100 points
Leaky defence
Dominate the stats for an average win

This is exactly what it became. All through the game it was a tease that we'd click into blowing Sturt out of the water but nah. Also the puppet coach won't change us.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The only chance of significantly upping the attendances to Magpies home games is having all of the below and nothing but:
- restructuring the membership price
- having a competitive Magpies reserves
- having academy players playing for Port
- being able to pay decent money to a core handful of Port local tough nut lads that can play every week on good form and forge an sanfl career of 150+ games
- prove we can win back to back flags, not just get their to lose
- doing whatever it takes during a game to win rather than be puppets

OR

... the sanfl teams' level decline further enough that make Port and the crows naturally too dominant.

Otherwise big regular crowds won't happen.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Went to the game and enjoyed the atmosphere at Alberton.

Ollie. Played very well. Class above and got better as the game went on. Ran the game out well, has match fitness, will play in Perth next week.

Drew. All class. Composed footballer who makes good decisions and gets to the right places. Will be strongly considered for AFL this week, the coaches need to decide who they're leaving out.

Hewett. Played the best I've seen him play in the flesh. Consistency is his issue.

Sutcliffe. Very clean player. He still sits behind too many to be considered for AFL selection but had solid game.

Woodcock. Best Sanfl game that I've seen him play for us. I'm not sure he'll get a look at AFL level this year but he's a clever player, liked his game a lot.

McKenzie. Was pretty solid. Can't see him playing AFL anytime soon.

Pudney. Was ok but didn't really impact the game for me. Worth persevering with though.

Ladhams. Absolutely dominated the ruck. He nearly took an absolute hanger, beautiful left leg, good agility. I'm a massive fan and will be a consistent AFL ruckman.

Garner. We've got a keeper here. This bloke is too good to be playing Sanfl and simply must play at AFL level. Rock solid, tough, composed with a reliable long kick. Reminds me of Hodge in his prime.

AJ. Started really well but faded. He's got some weapons but his disposal is sub-par. If he want's to play AFL that needs to improve.

Mayes. Had a pretty quiet game.

Dixon. A tad rusty but got better as the game went on and played very well. Just an absolute man mountain. If I'm super critical he didn't clunk all the marks he could have. The flip side is he got to good positions and brought other players into the game. Goal kicking was very good. Ken will be very tempted to bring him in against Freo. He probably needs another Sanfl game for touch and fitness but IF we play him along side Howard I would send him to Perth. If we expect him to play one out then he'll run out of petrol real quick.

Hammer. Like Charlie got better as the game went on. His core strength is very good, busted through tackles pretty easily. Used the ball well but still needs more match fitness. Garner is ahead of him in my books right now.

Marshall. The sooner we realise Todd is a half forward flanker and not a genuine KPF the better. Play him as a another flanker and he'll flourish. The other consideration is to turn him into a defender. He could play against talls or smalls and having a clear defensive role may just get the best out of him.

Mead. So wish he was taller. Got real football talent. Played ok without starring.

Frederick and Grundy were both quiet. Both a work in progress.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Went to the game and enjoyed the atmosphere at Alberton.

Ollie. Played very well. Class above and got better as the game went on. Ran the game out well, has match fitness, will play in Perth next week.

Drew. All class. Composed footballer who makes good decisions and gets to the right places. Will be strongly considered for AFL this week, the coaches need to decide who they're leaving out.

Hewett. Played the best I've seen him play in the flesh. Consistency is his issue.

Sutcliffe. Very clean player. He still sits behind too many to be considered for AFL selection but had solid game.

Woodcock. Best Sanfl game that I've seen him play for us. I'm not sure he'll get a look at AFL level this year but he's a clever player, liked his game a lot.

McKenzie. Was pretty solid. Can't see him playing AFL anytime soon.

Pudney. Was ok but didn't really impact the game for me. Worth persevering with though.

Ladhams. Absolutely dominated the ruck. He nearly took an absolute hanger, beautiful left leg, good agility. I'm a massive fan and will be a consistent AFL ruckman.

Garner. We've got a keeper here. This bloke is too good to be playing Sanfl and simply must play at AFL level. Rock solid, tough, composed with a reliable long kick. Reminds me of Hodge in his prime.

AJ. Started really well but faded. He's got some weapons but his disposal is sub-par. If he want's to play AFL that needs to improve.

Mayes. Had a pretty quiet game.

Dixon. A tad rusty but got better as the game went on and played very well. Just an absolute man mountain. If I'm super critical he didn't clunk all the marks he could have. The flip side is he got to good positions and brought other players into the game. Goal kicking was very good. Ken will be very tempted to bring him in against Freo. He probably needs another Sanfl game for touch and fitness but IF we play him along side Howard I would send him to Perth. If we expect him to play one out then he'll run out of petrol real quick.

Hammer. Like Charlie got better as the game went on. His core strength is very good, busted through tackles pretty easily. Used the ball well but still needs more match fitness. Garner is ahead of him in my books right now.

Marshall. The sooner we realise Todd is a half forward flanker and not a genuine KPF the better. Play him as a another flanker and he'll flourish. The other consideration is to turn him into a defender. He could play against talls or smalls and having a clear defensive role may just get the best out of him.

Mead. So wish he was taller. Got real football talent. Played ok without starring.

Frederick and Grundy were both quiet. Both a work in progress.
Great summary. Re Marshall, good idea - let him play down back for awhile to regain some confidence.

Last year the club didn't take the Magpies seriously. Terrible balance of players and it showed in results and declining support.

People are also sick of the club being treated like lepers by the sanfl especially with the umpiring.

Yesterday there was a good team on the park and I think there is a lot to knowing you have a key forward who can kick a bag. They are part of the magic of the game.

We still have to improve our sanfl list and another goal-kicking key forward on the AFL list would help.

Chachi re Marshall, yes he looks a tall flanker even on baller to me. Reminds me of Milan Faletic. Looks so laconic but does everything effortlessly.

Still would have liked him to get the last 15 minutes out of the goal square with Charlie resting and Sturt on the ropes.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Chachi re Marshall, yes he looks a tall flanker even on baller to me. Reminds me of Milan Faletic. Looks so laconic but does everything effortlessly.

Still would have liked him to get the last 15 minutes out of the goal square with Charlie resting and Sturt on the ropes.
How about CHF?

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Yep don't mind the on ball idea as well.

Todd has two big issues with his game. One is he's not a consistent contested mark and the other is he doesn't find enough of the ball.

At some point we need to make a change so that he can play to his strengths, he's too talented to not consider the other options.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Todd is young, he needs time and some consistency in how he is played to develop. I still have high hopes for him.

In terms of Dixon, Wines and Hartlett, the question is do you want fitness or form? From these three they are walk up starts, so really it’s about ensuring they are fit enough to run out a game. We know that they will need to adjust to the AFL in terms of fitness and speed, having them run around in the SANFL doesn’t help this. Once they are ticked off for match fitness then they come straight back in. Hartlett and Wines are probably ready, Dixon might need one more.

No Atley? Injured?

By the sounds of it, Drew, Garner and Ladhams are all knocking on the door consistently, which is good. Keeps the pressure on guys like DBJ, Broadbent, Bonner, our inside mids and gives us ruck depth.

How about CHF?

Still makes him the 1 or 2 key forward. Playing as a third tall or giant flanker would create mismatches and his ground skills would expose a taller player on him. It was a pity Frampton wasn't out there.

He is still young and has an immature body for a key forward. You could see he is starting to get some size compared to the Sturt players but not a real advantage yet.

Still requires some patience so I wouldn't mind seeing him involved In games in other ways than only key forward. He has a unique skill set that we need to encourage.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Been a very disappointing last few minutes for port. Should be piling on the goals

Agreed, to go from 44 points up at the 7 or 8 minute mark of the last qtr at Alberton to having the margin cut in half by siren time was very disappointing, and cost valuable percentage that would have had the Maggies in the top 5, and it has become very typical of Port teams at both levels for well in excess of 10 years now.
It has cost the club wins at AFL level in the past, and unfortunately it will again.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We had both yesterday, it was very quiet.
Quite simply, it’s reserves footy, the passion won’t be there unless it’s a final.
You are right, as I arrived late there was basically no noise coming from the oval as I neared the place. An excellent crowd considering it was only the 2’s playing. Took me back to pre Power games at Alberton.
The fans really only wanted Charlie to kick a lazy 10. Oops I forgot to say also a Maggie win.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed, to go from 44 points up at the 7 or 8 minute mark of the last qtr at Alberton to having the margin cut in half by siren time was very disappointing, and cost valuable percentage that would have had the Maggies in the top 5, and it has become very typical of Port teams at both levels for well in excess of 10 years now.
It has cost the club wins at AFL level in the past, and unfortunately it will again.

Noted that: It was as if the team went into a “no more injuries” mode. A couple of soft frees to the blue baggers in our forward lines gave them the momentum to attack.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
One thing is for sure, the club must work with the sanfl and make magpies games at Alberton free entry for power members. Sure the club will lose out a little on magpie memberships, but they will more than make that back in a big way with catering, merch, food and meals at the club, beer sales etc.

Alberton is such a better place when it's full like that
Don’t know about every game but one or 2 a year would be perfect. First time I can say I enjoyed waiting 10 minutes for a beer. Club would’ve made a killing.

We also pressed up very high and didn't really push back hard in the last 15 minutes when the ball went over the top of the press.

Sturt also took some strong marks on the outer wing that let them keep the ball moving forward. Needed more height out wide across the back of the press.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is Marshall starting to become a concern? Form is very off, and by the sounds of it he’s becoming Westhoff 2.0 rather than a Tredrea/Schulz conventional lead up big forward target like we hoped.

Is Marshall starting to become a concern? Form is very off, and by the sounds of it he’s becoming Westhoff 2.0 rather than a Tredrea/Schulz conventional lead up big forward target like we hoped.

Too early but we appear to have players who are overtaking him.

Yeah I’d put him in the Hoff and Watts bracket. Dixon/Howard/Frampton are another type of forward.

Back