2nds Port Adelaide vs West Adelaide - Round 8 @ Alberton

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm possibly being harsh here, but I was really disappointed with Hartlett. Lokan gave him the freedom to choose where he wanted to play, and he chose to play it safe in the same position he's played for the last 6-7 years. He played okay in the half back role, but I was hoping he'd throw himself in the middle or at half forward and rip the game apart. To not do anything different was telling about his mentality.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm possibly being harsh here, but I was really disappointed with Hartlett. Lokan gave him the freedom to choose where he wanted to play, and he chose to play it safe in the same position he's played for the last 6-7 years. He played okay in the half back role, but I was hoping he'd throw himself in the middle or at half forward and rip the game apart. To not do anything different was telling about his mentality.

He played in the middle at times. Did you miss it?

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He played in the middle at times. Did you miss it?
I saw him go there a few times, but I wanted him to play there all or most of the game. Playing at half back was playing it safe - he needs to do something different if he wants to extend his career. I just wanted him to have the mindset that he was going to go in and rip the game apart.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Thought same thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Wrong. He played well. He was never going to get 35 touches playing as a half back. I'm not sure why people such as yourself hold these preconceived negative notions about our players. I don't see how it brings you joy or is helpful at all.

Is he flying at the moment? No. Did he come into this game and give it his all? Absolutely. His quarter time talk to the players was fantastic and showed a guy who came down to the lower level with a positive attitude to help the younger guys in the squad.

Also his disposal was largely fantastic and hit some difficult targets.

Just a completely rubbish take.
And that's fair enough.
But I can only comment on what I see. And what I saw twarn't that pretty!!!!!!
So I'm happy to stand by my comments. Seems most posts are of similar vein.
IMHO there were better efforts by many others, who threw themselves in at contests and chased desperately, but maybe I just missed his good bits.

As the crowd wasn't allowed on to the ground, and most of us didn't have our super strength MI6 long distance listening devices handy, we didn't hear his speech at the breaks, so can't really comment on that aspect 😝

Was impressed by the top-ups again. Most doing far better than we could reasonably expect from part time athletes, who you would think would lack the skillset and elite endurance to play an AFL brand of game plan for the full 120 minutes. :thumbsu::)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was there. Milde & Marrett two worse kicks in the history of PAFC.

Paul Marrett was a much better kick than Milde, an example I can give was in a match at Alberton against South Melbourne in the early 70's when he took two towering pack marks about 5 minutes apart on the outer side member's stand end in line with about where the players' balcony is now, and put them both through the goals post high.

Leon was an absolute Barry Crocker of a kick, there was a disconnect between his ball drop and his foot, and the ball could go anywhere, he would have made John Butcher's action look text book.
He did win us an end of season game against Richmond in Perth though with a mark in the goal square with seconds remaining, but going by the reaction of the goal umpy who ran hard to his right it must have only squeezed in.

Another hit and miss shot for goal was Randall Gerlach, he was a sensational mark but I still have nightmares about the 1972 gf against the chooks when from something like a dozen marks well within scoring distance he scored only 1 or 2 goals, 4 or 5 points, and another 5 or 6 that went out on the full. :'(
In a game at Prospect earlier in the same season he kicked something like 11g 3b.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just finished watching ..

Garner was OMG!!! That is the best game I personally have ever seen from him. AFL standard IMO
Hayes was good, solid marking in defence too
Mayes got stronger and stronger as the game went on ... He is an enigma - clearly above SANFL standard, but doesnt translate to AFL
We played better when Lienert went off - He was bog-awful when on, and pretty much scored two of West's goals for them!!!
Goldsack was a general out there - Great game. Definitely has AFL 'Break Glass' potential all over him if he keeps that up!
Sutcliffe excellent too .. seems to be playing with freeness in the SANFL, and enjoying himself

There were patches of frustrating play through the game, but when the boys turned it on they were fantastic! More of that please.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was very impressed by Garners game. I had earlier got the impression from the more hardcore magpie game attendees that Joel was just making up the numbers until he would get delisted at the end of the year. But he certainly showed us his credentials yesterday and it was a pleasant surprise. He’s a keeper along with Hayes, Mayes and Frederick - plus our latest list of draft youngsters.
I can see the selection of Garner for Bonner coming up soon.
By the way Hartlett was basically OK and there’s no need to rush him back to the A’s (if ever)!
Left Alberton feeling quite satisfied, especially happy with the effort shown by our SANFL contract players.
Edit. I missed naming Williams as a keeper as I’m not sure where he fits however Woodcock & Lienert need to show some improvement. Both better than OK early in the season but not so now!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I only saw the 2nd half yesterday, and agree that Hartlett was disappointing, but I will cut him some slack for a week or two because I can remember Jonas and Rockliff both having very ordinary games when they were dropped to the Maggies 3 or 4 seasons back.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was very impressed by Garners game. I had earlier got the impression from the more hardcore magpie game attendees that Joel was just making up the numbers until he would get delisted at the end of the year. But he certainly showed us his credentials yesterday and it was a pleasant surprise. He’s a keeper along with Hayes, Mayes and Frederick - plus our latest list of draft youngsters.
I can see the selection of Garner for Bonner coming up soon.
By the way Hartlett was basically OK and there’s no need to rush him back to the A’s (if ever)!
Left Alberton feeling quite satisfied, especially happy with the effort shown by our SANFL contract players.
Edit. I missed naming Williams as a keeper as I’m not sure where he fits however Woodcock & Lienert need to show some improvement. Both better than OK early in the season but not so now!
Yes, I forgot to mention Williams. He is also an enigma IMO. He shows flashes of brilliance, and is clearly better than the SANFL troupe of players. But he needs consistency to be selected for the Power. I have to keep remembering that he has only just begun to play, having had last year off. But still, I reckon he needs another pre-season in him to have him cherry-ripe to play in 2022.

But he def has the goods IMO.

Back