2nds Port Adelaide vs West Adelaide - Round 9 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Biggest myth of that season... He was a workhorse and durable as our last ruck standing.

Inflating his value big time.

Agreed, I have little doubt the Rock Lobster would have been the first player delisted that season if he hadn't been `our last ruck standing, ' his form at westies had been ordinary at best.

That aside, he did grab the opportunity, and as has already been said his 2nd efforts were sensational.

As for him ever being in AA contention, Naaaaaaaaah!

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think he is a massive confidence player and it's shot. He needs a new start where he gets good ruck minutes or leads the line.

Amazingly his first kick was the last kick of the game 28 minutes in to the last quarter in a side that was 21 goals ahead !
His decline really is sad to see. He first came to the Magpies as a skinny kid struggling to play seniors so he joined West Adelaide and he was good enough to play AFL and have a great year in 2014.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Amazingly his first kick was the last kick of the game 28 minutes in to the last quarter in a side that was 21 goals ahead !
His decline really is sad to see. He first came to the Magpies as a skinny kid struggling to play seniors so he joined West Adelaide and he was good enough to play AFL and have a great year in 2014.
I remember watching Lobbe playing for the Magpies when he was first drafted and was underwhelmed as a supposedly mobile CHF, however he persisted and obviously worked his but off and eventually became our No. 1 ruck. In hindsight he has achieved 'overs' in terms of an AFL career. He peaked in 2014 but after a pre-season injury in 2015 has been a shadow of his best.
Can we hold on to him as a 'ruck coach' playing for the Magpies? Off the Power list...
The guy is well respected and liked but is probably untradeable now.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember watching Lobbe playing for the Magpies when he was first drafted and was underwhelmed as a supposedly mobile CHF, however he persisted and obviously worked his but off and eventually became our No. 1 ruck. In hindsight he has achieved 'overs' in terms of an AFL career. He peaked in 2014 but after a pre-season injury in 2015 has been a shadow of his best.
Can we hold on to him as a 'ruck coach' playing for the Magpies? Off the Power list...
I have a softer spot for Lobbe than I do Butch as one thing I know is he works his butt off trying. Just can't get back to 2014 form sadly.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Could we get away with a 500k a year ruck coach? I just don't see the AFL powers that be leaving that as a loophole? Brilliant idea but it can't be that simple?

Excuse my ignorance but who would some player comparisons be to Lienert?

I'm yet to see him play at all so I have no idea....
nobody really. he does have a good accurate kick, both long and short.

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
My favourite part of this game is that it puts the acid (or i hope it does) on any notions of Dougal playing in defence. Give up on the Trengove up forward experiment play him in defence and shuffle that around when he rucks and back Doogs in as a second key forward please for all our sakes

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
The form of Irra. He looked like a first round draft pick. Blistering pace, was hard at the contest and took the game on. Was overambitious at times but his energy and enthusiasm were a joy. 1000% better than anything he showed at South.

After the first couple of games I thought Irra had zero future. Now I've got to say he's really not that far off. On current form there are some AFL clubs that'd be giving him a game.

Ultimately this has to be the best rookie list group we've ever had. In a few years they may not all have a stack of games against their names purely because of the extreme competition we have for spots, but that doesn't change the fact that Eddy, Houston, Hewett, Irra, Lienert, Snelling & young Ladhams is a great group. Only Ladhams would look out of place at AFL level.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After the first couple of games I thought Irra had zero future. Now I've got to say he's really not that far off. On current form there are some AFL clubs that'd be giving him a game.

Ultimately this has to be the best rookie list group we've ever had. In a few years they may not all have a stack of games against their names purely because of the extreme competition we have for spots, but that doesn't change the fact that Eddy, Houston, Hewett, Irra, Lienert, Snelling & young Ladhams is a great group. Only Ladhams would look out of place at AFL level.
Great post. Ladhams has really improved too.

It was such a bold strategy too. A few players overlooked in the draft last year, or otherwise mature. The exact thing a rookie list should be used for. Our recruiting has been great. Annoyingly, everything at the club has been great but the AFL side and the AFL level coaching.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wouldn't surprise me if Ladhams goes on to be the best of the lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wouldn't surprise me if Ladhams goes on to be the best of the lot

Ladhams is very athletic for such a big kid, nice relaxed kicking style as well, plus he is capable of tonking the ball from outside the 50 metre arc.
He could go on to be the ruckman/fwd that Redden appeared a chance to become, until injury cruelled him.

The Magpies seem to have the same problem as the Power - they haven't beaten the other contenders. Lost to top-placed Eagles and 3rd-placed Glenelg.

While it may be an anomaly, it is becoming a large enough sample size across the 2 competitions to cast aspersions on the current list and coaching styles.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Magpies seem to have the same problem as the Power - they haven't beaten the other contenders. Lost to top-placed Eagles and 3rd-placed Glenelg.

While it may be an anomaly, it is becoming a large enough sample size across the 2 competitions to cast aspersions on the current list and coaching styles.
I hadn't thought of that. Interesting (concerning) observation.

Beat Nord by a kick though. Winning close games is something the AFL side can't do.

Beat Nord by a kick though. Winning close games is something the AFL side can't do.

Yeah but wasn't it SANFL player Robbie Young who kicked the winner? If that had been, say, Aaron Young, recent history suggests it would've been a point.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox

Both our losses came after a bye week, and in both games the intensity required just wasn't there at all, so I'm inclined to believe it may have just been youthful inexperience. Guess we'll see after the next bye.

The Eagles v South game had 4 goals kicked in the last quarter for 10 minutes of time on. Just enough for WWT to snatch a winner. There weren't that many ball ups and boundary throw ins. I don't know how they manufactured such a long quarter.

Port v West had 10 goals kicked in the last quarter for 8 minutes of time on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back