Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Dogs midfield is so strong can’t see us winning that battle

Personally I think it will come down to the advantage our forwards have over their defence maximising the difference between the mids, need efficiency in there this week no slop ball entries or we r done

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing we need to stop is fast clearance to Naughton/Bruce in space and playing in front of Cluz/TJ.

Perhaps AA plays a bit deeper and Drew stays defensive side?

Not sure but I reckon that's possibly the key here.

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Hinkley game plan is generally that a better opposition must first fail to execute their game plan which we can then exploit.

- As others said force their mids to kick on their non-preferred foot to force turnovers or where their forwards have to lead into pockets.
- If Naughton and Bruce have to have set shots from the pocket they'll shank kicks and lose confidence. If these 2 fail to convert 75% shots on goal we win.more than likely.
- Try to break their spirit early on in the first quarter, tire them out around stoppages, let them know they won't have it easy.

I feel like a major part of our problems against good teams is Hinkley's philosophy, which I describe as come at me, bro.

His attitude is that we will try to play the game on our terms, and it is up to them to stop us. We rarely devise a plan based on countering the opposition - nullifying their strengths, tagging their stars, disrupting them with a surprise positional change or altering our game style. It even extends to happily naming the ins and outs in press conferences before the official release of teams.

The problem is, we are too predictable, and well-coached teams can prepare for us with confidence. Players know who they will be playing on, where they run, when they rest. Coaches can set up to create mismatches and can surprise us with selections and structures. And we rarely attempt to counter these moves until it's too late.

Just for once, I'd like to see something different, to throw the Bulldogs off. Tell the presser that both Hayes AND Ladhams are in, then only pick one. Or start Charlie in the ruck; tag Macrae; start Orazio in defence, or something. Show me that you have thought about stopping the opposition.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing we need to stop is fast clearance to Naughton/Bruce in space and playing in front of Cluz/TJ.

Perhaps AA plays a bit deeper and Drew stays defensive side?

Not sure but I reckon that's possibly the key here.
Drew will be crucial to push their centre clearances slow and wide

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As sure as I was we were going to get flogged by the Lions, I am not sure about this one. I can see us losing big, but I can also see us winning a highly contested game. I don't think we'll win big though.

We match up a lot better against the Dogs than we do the Lions too.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
We could take in the best strategy/plan and put in a huge effort but I'm super worried about the midfield rotation without Butters, Houston, Duursma and Lycett with Boak potentially carrying a knock.

Good news is, each end of the ground is pretty strong. Its probably unreasonable to expect a dominant midfield display so keeping the Dogs out and hitting the scoreboard from our back half will be critical, and should be planned for.

Of course their mids could have an off-day or we play out of our skins.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
In terms of the teams that played last year compared to what we will likely see this week, these are the ins/outs:

Port:

InOut
AliirMcKenzie
MotlopWoodcock
BurtonButters
MarshallRockliff
DrewMayes
FantasiaWesthoff

WB:

InOut
DuryeaR.Smith
HannanB.Williams
ScottRichards
TreloarVandermeer
DaleWeightman
McNeilDunkley
NaughtonMcLean
KhamisLloyd

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Aliir on Naughton will be a hell of a matchup if it happens.
Naughton and Allen(WCE) are the 2 guys I once wanted Todd Marshall to emulate. But he's more "Westhoff" than these 2.

Hi, guys. Sorry to intrude.

I am hoping to secure tickets for this weekend's game when they're released tomorrow morning to the general public. Should I be worried that it may sell out prior to securing tickets?

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Hi, guys. Sorry to intrude.

I am hoping to secure tickets for this weekend's game when they're released tomorrow morning to the general public. Should I be worried that it may sell out prior to securing tickets?
You should be ok

Wouldn't wait too long if you want a big group together though

Also not intruding at all

Back