Preview Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs Rd 9 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The free kick count lol. Not only will the AFL want to continue punishing us after making them look like dicks last week but we're also playing the freaking Bulldogs in the same week. Going to be frightening.
On the plus side we play against that very well. It rarely appears to get under the skin, but yeah, they'll know it's coming. At least it's a home game there'll be some crowd reaction.

Port have to win here to demonstrate that they're a real contender in 2021. Lose and we'll be 1-3 against other likely contenders. That isn't exactly season over, but from that hypothetical position it'll be hard to picture us improving on 2020.

With a number of players out, the challenge is certainly before us. Let's see if we're up to it.

Port have to win here to demonstrate that they're a real contender in 2021. Lose and we'll be 1-3 against other likely contenders. That isn't exactly season over, but from that hypothetical position it'll be hard to picture us improving on 2020.

With a number of players out, the challenge is certainly before us. Let's see if we're up to it.
We could lose to both the Bulldogs and Geelong and its not season over.

So long as we get enough wins to finish top 4, we will have a chance to gain momentum when everyone comes back later in the season.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

lol free kick count against is going to be horrendous, why don’t we just start 3 goals down at the start and they umpire fairly that would be better I reckon

If you want to be completely fearful, think of the theatre of it all against Collingwood

Lycett is a huge out. Lucky Martin is out for the doggies. English will give them an advantage and they will have decent advantage if both English and Sweet play and we only play one of Hayes or Ladhams.

Their midfield is better than ours at winning the ball. We wont be able to stop their mids, but we will have to negate them where we can. We also will have to have better ball use than them. Our defence will have to stand up. Robbie probably has to play a blinder in the middle for us to win.

Manipulated the stats on the AFL website for ruck contests and clearances data.

1620923677927.png

Lycett is a huge out. Lucky Martin is out for the doggies. English will give them an advantage and they will have decent advantage if both English and Sweet play and we only play one of Hayes or Ladhams.

Their midfield is better than ours at winning the ball. We wont be able to stop their mids, but we will have to negate them where we can. We also will have to have better ball use than them. Our defence will have to stand up. Robbie probably has to play a blinder in the middle for us to win.

View attachment 1126839
Those numbers support my eye test of Dixon being a very good 2nd ruck. I wonder if that’s a role he will play more of in the twilight of his career and as Georgiades develops.

View attachment 1126839
Midfield so key, break even a must. Although if our forward line fires they have their worries. Genuine 50/50 game with both teams having high ceiling on their best footy, but big question marks when playing below par. Our x factor players in Rozee, Gray, Motlop and Fantasia need to fire. Georgiades is looking better every week. But as we know a lot depends on Boak and Wines leading our midfield.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the e-ticket for the game from the club website? It isn't showing the match when I login. If necessary I'll just print out the e-membership card that the club emailed out when seats changed back to normal, but it's a bit annoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those numbers support my eye test of Dixon being a very good 2nd ruck. I wonder if that’s a role he will play more of in the twilight of his career and as Georgiades develops.
Charlie like Hawkins ruck against a lot of tall defenders and they both tend to dominate those contests, but not so much against the #1 oppo rucks. But Charlie started his career as #2 ruck for GC plus he has a basketball background so he would have had plenty of jump ball situations growing up. I personally dont want him rucking around the ground too much, sure do the forward 50m type rucking.

It might sound counter-intuitive given their midfield strength but I think we need to clog the game up as much as possible with stoppages to stop their run and carry with handball.

The more we can stop them flowing forward finding players outside the contest with handball in space to deliver and force them to kick under pressure in congestion, our strength defending will come to the fore.

Even if the Dogs do get free alot we need to back in our aggressive, play in front, defending and not retreat into our shells under pressure.

It's definitely possible, even if the Dogs play well. So lets go!

It might sound counter-intuitive given their midfield strength but I think we need to clog the game up as much as possible with stoppages to stop their run and carry with handball.

The more we can stop them flowing forward finding players outside the contest with handball in space to deliver and force them to kick under pressure in congestion, our strength defending will come to the fore.

Even if the Dogs do get free alot we need to back in our aggressive, play in front, defending and not retreat into our shells under pressure.

It's definitely possible, even if the Dogs play well. So lets go!
Our 2 losses have been contrasting. Against WCE we just couldn't get our hands on the footy often enough, Nick Nat either hit it straight down their mids throats or he hit it into space and their mids knew exactly were to run to and our mids weren't on the ball and let theirs off the chain.

Against Brisbane we got enough of the ball but used it poorly plus 2 of their mids played really well, McCluggage and Lyons.

We can win but we have to play differently to the way we want to normally play and have to be prepared to grind away rather than dash away all night.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the e-ticket for the game from the club website? It isn't showing the match when I login. If necessary I'll just print out the e-membership card that the club emailed out when seats changed back to normal, but it's a bit annoying.
It’s so confusing as we went down the e-membership path but we still get a SMS inviting us to arrange for our e-ticket. Hopefully the e-membership will work tomorrow night. It basically forces you to arrive early so if there are any problems you’ve got time to work it out with those wonderful people at the membership tent.
It’s my prediction that next week could be a Covid lock up defining week due to what happening in Adelaide & Melbourne, so tickets wont matter anymore. Hope I’m wrong!

I predict a score line of 40 - 6 free kicks to Bulldogs.

I think we will lose this and it will be over by half time as per current trend of our losses

Percentage quarter by quarter for this season:

Q1Q2Q3Q4
WB188%157%86%210%
PA101%160%155%104%

We need to start well, which has been a bit of a weakness this season, I reckon Q4 would be a bit of game management by us when winning (that other teams are not doing).

WB bizarrely poor straight after halftime but sensational everywhere else. Whatever the reason, put the foot down in Q3 and hope to build a lead and hang on.

Percentage quarter by quarter for this season:

Q1Q2Q3Q4
WB188%157%86%210%
PA101%160%155%104%

We need to start well, which has been a bit of a weakness this season, I reckon Q4 would be a bit of game management by us when winning (that other teams are not doing).

WB bizarrely poor straight after halftime but sensational everywhere else. Whatever the reason, put the foot down in Q3 and hope to build a lead and hang on.

So they’re really poor in the “premiership” quarter then! Can’t see them winning a flag:p

It’s so confusing as we went down the e-membership path but we still get a SMS inviting us to arrange for our e-ticket. Hopefully the e-membership will work tomorrow night. It basically forces you to arrive early so if there are any problems you’ve got time to work it out with those wonderful people at the membership tent.
It’s my prediction that next week could be a Covid lock up defining week due to what happening in Adelaide & Melbourne, so tickets wont matter anymore. Hope I’m wrong!
Have just been able to access the e-ticket, so I guess I just needed to be patient (not my forte).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back